I'm curious

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: I'm curious

Post by ChiO »

Judith wrote:
These days, we don't think of the term "states' rights" and "Democrats" as going together, but it was a different world then. Interestingly, it was not a Democrat, but Truman's Republican successor, Dwight Eisenhower, under whose administration the Supreme Court decision in the landmark integration case Brown v. The Topeka Board of Education was made (in favor of integration). And it was Eisenhower who sent federal troops to Little Rock, Arkansas to protect the first group of black high school students who attended an all-white school on court order.
And, it was an Eisenhower appointee to the Supreme Court, Earl Warren (who remembers the "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards?), who guided the Brown decision through the court. That's the same Earl Warren who was the Republican governor of California when the Japanese were interned during WWII (upheld as constitutional by a Supreme Court largely appointed by Democrat FDR) and who, many argue, was appointed to the Supreme Court in order to be neutralized as one of Eisenhower's strongest intra-party political threats. And how about that Democrat, George Corley Wallace, who lost his first run for governor of Alabama as a "moderate" on civil rights issues and then allegedly told his inner circle that he'd never be "out-(n-word)ed" again, becoming forever identified once he was elected governor as the man physically defying Ass't US Atty Nicholas Katzenbach who, on behalf of a Democrat President, forced the integration of the University of Alabama?

CCF -- Trying to understand US politics via labels and, unfortunately, issues is an exercise in futility. Except for me...I'm principled. As we say in Chicago: Ubi est mea?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

And let us not forget the motto of the Latin Grammar School of Sheepshead Bay:

Semper ubi sub ubi.
bryce

Post by bryce »

Trying to understand US politics via labels and, unfortunately, issues is an exercise in futility.
I'll amend that, If I may: Trying to pigeonhole people to labels and, unfortunately, issues, is an exercise in futility.

I will never understand why the US media and voting populace are constantly surprised when a person - politician or otherwise - breaks from the norm. Oh no, a Republican is against abortion but okay with stem cell research? Simply because a person shares the same ideology (or two, or three, or fifty) doesn't mean they should be expected to share them all.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Amazing !! I thought that Latin had all but fallen by the wayside after being spoken by John Wilkes Booth as he jumped to the stage from the Presidential balcony where he had just assassinated Abraham Lincoln. Who could ever forget his immortal Sic semper tyranis (Ever thus to tyrants.) ? I'm left wondering why he didn't call it out in English.

As always, (but this time I'm invoking the spirits of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle because it's all Greek to me !)

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: Semper ubi sub ubi.
Sorry, Judith; both grandmothers, my high school football coach, the army, and my first 3 girlfriends all tried hard to "civilize" me, but to this very day, I proudly go COMMANDO !
:twisted: 8) :twisted: 8) :twisted: 8) :twisted: 8) :twisted:
bryce

Post by bryce »

Didn't Tom Petty write a song about going commando?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sorry, Judith; both grandmothers, my high school football coach, the army, and my first 3 girlfriends all tried hard to "civilize" me, but to this very day, I proudly go COMMANDO !
Um, Klonnie, is that what I think it means? I can't "do" Latin, so someone, please, tell me it AINT what I think it means :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .......
bryce

Post by bryce »

Well, we are talking about a man who likes his kilts...
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
Um, Klonnie, is that what I think it means? I can't "do" Latin, so someone, please, tell me it AINT what I think it means :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .......
"Semper ubi, sub ubi" is an old example of frat-boy translingual humor; it translates (awkwardly, but technically accurate) as: always where, under where, which sounds goofily familiar to your Mom's peckish warning about wearing clean undies in case of needing a sudden ER trip.
Just that simple, just that silly!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

who in the WORLD would have clean undies in a sudden trip to the emergency room??

and, um, Klonnie, as Bryce pointed out, you do like kilts, and um, Klonnie....kilts and commando should NEVER EVER EVER be used in the same sentence, or combined in real life....I don' t care what the commercials show (the ones you posted a while back) :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:who in the WORLD would have clean undies in a sudden trip to the emergency room??

and, um, Klonnie, as Bryce pointed out, you do like kilts, and um, Klonnie....kilts and commando should NEVER EVER EVER be used in the same sentence, or combined in real life....I don' t care what the commercials show (the ones you posted a while back) :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:
Newsflash for you, my darlin' Flower o' the Prairie:
With the exception of the athletes competing in the Highland Heavy Athletic matches, no man ever wears anything under a kilt . . nor should any boy or woman. Not the Jacobite warriors who died at Culloden, nor the marchers in pipe bands, nor Sean Connery, nor Mel Gibson, nor Patrick Dempsey nor even Prince Charles when in full Highland regalia . . not a one of 'em wears aught twixt the tartan & the skin!
Any man who would, or has, is flagrantly disrespecting one of the strictest codes of Scottish culture, and does not deserve to wear a kilt in the first place.
After all if you wear something underneath it . . . then it's just a skirt!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

yipes. I'll go sit down and fan myself now.....
Prairie flowers have deep roots, and don't get away much.........

yipes. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you ever get a chance check out a silent short from Laurel and Hardy called "Putting Pants on Phillip." Stan plays someone come to the US from Scotland. He arrives in his kilt and due to the nature of his wardrobe the rest of the short film is a tale of trying to do just that. Success is limited but the constantly gathering crowd sure is interested.

Kiltless in Annapolis
Me
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Just for YOU, Nancy . . .
:wink:

[youtube][/youtube]
bryce

Post by bryce »

I just can't resist.

What do you think all the ribbons the ladies at Scarborough/Ren faires carry are for? Furthermore, where, exactly, do you think they put them when they're rewarding a noble Scotsman for wearing a kilt they like or fairing well in a competition? (I pose this question knowing full well klondike's going to educate me that this isn't proper, but again, I can't resist!)

Not that I've ever been to one of these faires, mind you, or even ever worn a kilt, or even received a prize from such a lady. No. Never. (Actually, I haven't. I'm Welsh. We have an indecipherable enough language and culture without parading around in skirts, thank you! :twisted: )