voices

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: voices

Post by JackFavell »

Ben Johnson has the most soothing voice I've ever heard. I would follow him anywhere....

Now speaking of barrel-chested, Ward Bond comes immediately to mind. I love it when he sings. And Victor MacLaglen also has a lovely large voice.

I find Oscar Homolka's voice very pleasant and deep when he isn't yelling....

Chaplinfan, I'm with you on Jean Arthur. Who said that her voice sounded like "tinkling bells"?

Ruth Gordon has the most charming voice, with just a hint of New Yawk in it. I love the way she talks. Thelma Ritter is very similar.

I also love the voices of:
Charles Boyer
Robert Donat
George Sanders
William Powell
Alec Guinness
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

OUR beloved BEN!!!! (aw Shucks ma'am)!!!! (Sigh)

Honestly though..... if I had to pick ONE voice that I have always thought was IT.....

I'd have to go with... James Mason. He could read the ingredients on a box of cereal and I would be happy to just sit and listen.. ha.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hi, Ro!

This is the first time I've gotten to talk to you here. I am still working out the kinks in how to work things here, so bear with me.

Ben's "Aw, shucks, ma'am" would melt me into mush if I ever heard it in real life.

I just realized that I didn't read the first page of this thread, so I have to add to my list the wonderful, sonorous voice of Lee Marvin. Thanks Lzcutter!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Speaking voices, for me would be:

Male, James Mason and Orson Welles
Female, Agnes Moorehead and Judy Garland (with Greer Garson a close third)

:D :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I just saw George Sanders in a film, I agree, lovely voice, could listen to it all night.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

rohanaka wrote:OUR beloved BEN!!!! (aw Shucks ma'am)!!!! (Sigh)

Honestly though..... if I had to pick ONE voice that I have always thought was IT.....

I'd have to go with... James Mason. He could read the ingredients on a box of cereal and I would be happy to just sit and listen.. ha.
You should check out British comedian Eddie Izzard's sketch of the "real conversation" between Noah & God . . he does an astoundingly spot-on James Mason impression for the Almighty's voice, and an hilarious pastiche of Sean Connery for the voice of Noah!
:twisted:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen Izzard's James Mason and he is spot on. The first time I saw him I thought he was a riot. Subsequent shows less funny. "Executive Transvestite."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."