Day of Wrath (1943)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Day of Wrath (1943)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Carl Dreyer only made around twenty films over a sixty year span, but they are all amazing works of art that were ahead of their time.

He is probaby most well known for the mind blowing The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) which even though silent, is quite fresh on viewing today. Vampyr (1932) broke conventional horror molds and was also quite different from your usual "scary" picture.

Day of Wrath, made in 1943 (and showing this Sunday night 5/20) combines these two earlier themes in the story of the Salem witch trials. This film has been thought to be the origin of "The Crucible" a well known stage play (and later a film) on the same subject.

Anne, the central character in our story is the young bride of Abasalon head of the church. Her mother was accused, but he suppressed the charge and allowed her to live in exchange for her daughter. Anne is resented by Abasalon's mother who lives with them and is always finding fault in her.

When Abasalon's son comes home from school (from his first marriage) he and Anne are immediately smitten with each other and begin a romance that spirals downward to destuction.

Day of Wrath has always been my favorite of Dreyers films, perhaps because of the way the film quietly builds, the soft focus lens work, and the amazing acting of Lisbeth Movin. Her beautiful eyes seem to fill the screen and are observed by the other characters as lumionus, but for good or evil?

Dreyer went on to make other great works like Ordet (1955) and wanted to do a film on the life of Christ (the ultimate persecution film), but died before he could get the funding. If you have never seen one of his films, this is a great place to start.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on May 17th, 2007, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

This sounds so interesting, Mr. Arkadin. I can't wait to see it. I've never heard of this man and his films.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:This sounds so interesting, Mr. Arkadin. I can't wait to see it. I've never heard of this man and his films.
You definitely should catch up with him. Dreyer is my second favorite director (after Murnau), and The Passion of Joan of Arc is my absolute favorite movie of all time. Nothing else even comes close.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

Lisbeth Movin is extraordinary in Day of Wrath. A great, great movie.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lisbeth's eyes:

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »