Shield for Murder (1954)

Mr. Arkadin

Shield for Murder (1954)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Any thoughts on this one? I saw it coming on and hit record before leaving for work. Haven't watched yet, but the opening looked great.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Shield for Murder (1954)

Post by moira finnie »

I saw the end of Shield for Murder (1954) and it looked great. No reschedule on TCM just yet, but I'm hoping. I believe that Dewey is very knowledgeable about this Edmond O'Brien-Howard Koch co-directed movie, so perhaps he'll be able to add more when he has time.

I've been on an Edmond O'Brien kick lately, revisiting DOA, The Bigamist, Between Midnight and Dawn, and the like, though many of his movies seem to be OOP. I always feel bad for sweaty, out of shape Eddie, no matter how responsible his character is for his own downfall. I suppose it is one of those "there but poor fortune" responses to his woes on screen.
Eddie in The Bigamist, having one of his many "dark nights of the soul" while Joan Fontaine looks on.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'm sure the big D. wouldn't mind if I quoted him:

Let's not forget the intriguing pair of noir features O'Brien directed: SHIELD FOR MURDER (1954) and MAN-TRAP (1961). The former, in which he also starred, aired this very morning on TCM. It's a bitterly nasty B noir (and reminiscent of something Jim Thompson might have written) and sadly neglected (despite the boom shadow on display in the opening alley scene); the latter, starring Jeffrey Hunter (and written by noir scribe John D. MacDonald) is worth watching as well.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ark, I've seen this compared favorably to Touch of Evil. Did you see that parallel in this movie?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moira, I have not had time to watch this film yet, as I had library stuff that was going to be due and tons of other distractions lately.

I used to stick the unwatched stuff on a empty spindle, but when it grew past 100 discs, I just started filing them away (I probably record an average of seven films a week). I'll get to them all someday.

Hopefully, I will be able to find this thread (or remember it exists) and dementia will not have set in too badly (although my wife might disagree about that.) by that time. :wink: