ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942) TCM 10/7

Dewey1960

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942) TCM 10/7

Post by Dewey1960 »

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, one of my all-time favorite comedy/mystery films airs again (for the umpteenth time) on TCM this Wednesday, October 7. This 1942 Warner Bros. film starring Humphrey Bogart (sandwiched in between THE MALTESE FALCON and CASABLANCA) gave the star a rare opportunity to showcase his dry comic wit alongside his already patented tough guy persona as Gloves Donahue, a Broadway gambler in the Damon Runyon mold, who becomes involved with a ruthless gang of Nazi spies right in his own New York backyard! It seems that virtually every character actor on the Warner lot was dragged into this wildly entertaining free-for-all, including Conrad Veidt, Peter Lorre, Frank McHugh, Wally Ford, Barton MacLane, Jane Darwell, William Demarest, Judith Anderson, Martin Kosleck and Ed Brophy. Fetching international newcomer Kaaren Verne appears as Bogart's love interest. Comics Jackie Gleason and Phil Silvers are also on board!
It's a fairly convoluted story-line, but director Vincent Sherman keeps the action moving swiftly along in typical Warner fashion. For a film with a fair amount of good-natured humor, it also contains a lot of grim reminders that a) it's also a crime story and b) nazi spies are the most prominent criminals. Innocent victims meet violent deaths and the threat of domestic sabotage is always present. Bogart's character, initially seen as a self-centered rogue, experiences a moral makeover by the time the dust settles.
When I was a kid, this film was shown on television quite often and my brother and I never missed an opportunity to see it. It holds up remarkably well for wartime propaganda entertainment and I recommend it highly. It's great!
klondike

Re: ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942) TCM 10/7

Post by klondike »

One of my alltime faves, particularly peppy & clever for an early Bogart.
I especially get kicks from Bill Demarest's efforts in this meaty matinee escapade; he was certainly memorable in Miracle of Morgan's Creek, but he looks like he's having much more fun here!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I know I've seen it, Dewster, but I can't bring it to mind. I'll pay special attention to it now, in light of knowing that Peter Lorre married Kaaren Verne (in real life, that is). He and Bogart loved practical jokes and general goofing around, -- wonder if there was competition for Verne's attention on the set. She and Lorre were married for about five years, during which time she gave up moviemaking.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey there Miss J! Are you back among the living? We've been a little worried around here.....

The movie is a terrific one. I really like Bogie, and here he gets to be playful and funny. One of my favorite scenes in The Big Sleep was when he fanned the brim of his hat, put on glasses and walked into the "antiques" store. Here he isn't quite as silly, but you can tell he's having a great time.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

knitwit -

I love that scene! You have convinced me. I am setting my recorder to tape ATTN.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

It's a good'un!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:Hey there Miss J! Are you back among the living? We've been a little worried around here.....

The movie is a terrific one. I really like Bogie, and here he gets to be playful and funny. One of my favorite scenes in The Big Sleep was when he fanned the brim of his hat, put on glasses and walked into the "antiques" store. Here he isn't quite as silly, but you can tell he's having a great time.

Hi, Knitty. Just barely hanging on after a full and very trying day's work. And hanging on to the sweet thought that my firm actually closes on Columbus Day (next Monday), when the rest of New York will be open Ha!!

Can't wait to see this movie -- I could use a larf.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Lotsa fun, to be sure, but it can get tense at times, too:

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Great clip, Klondike!! And one that perfectly illustrates just how skillfully ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT balances humor with thrilling suspense.
Judith, I had completely forgotten that Kaaren Verne was married to Lorre! It does add an extra measure of tension to an already taut scenario. I hope you get a chance to watch this from start to finish; it's really an exceptional film!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I haven't seen this one in quite awhile! Thanks for the reminder Dewey! 8)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Which one of you will take the responsibility to remind me that, when I program the DVR to record a movie, it is imperative that I put a disc into the DVR?

Foiled again by this dangburn technology! It's the work of the Evil One, I tell you. Or, just my noirish Fate.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Being old and forgetful, I use Post-its, which I affix to a corner of the TV to help remind me to set "Record" for a particular program. And they're very colorful, too.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Which one of you will take the responsibility to remind me that, when I program the DVR to record a movie, it is imperative that I put a disc into the DVR?
I'll be glad to remind you!!!! Just send me a heads-up 24 hours before, and then again 15 minutes before the event.... :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Should I send you a reminder to remind me to remind you???????
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I finally got to watch ATTBN. I'm sorry to say that I wasn't all that impressed with it. From the glowing postings here, I was expecting something much more. It was fine, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was anything I'd want to watch more than once. And they killed the dachshund! Nobody mentioned that part.

I think the thing I liked best about the movie was Bogart's hairpiece -- the nicest one I've ever seen on him -- it was fuller and longer than what we usually see, and he looked younger and more "real" in it. But I don't think Bogart was much of a comic actor, and in this movie, he was even less so than in his later performances.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: And they killed the dachshund! Nobody mentioned that part.

I agree with you, Jude; they should've given the role to a cat. :twisted: