LURED

mrsl

LURED

Post by mrsl »

I discussed somewhere on this site how I've been put off by the title of a movie, so I understand the reasoning behind changing the name of this movie, but I don't know if 'Lured', is more suggestive than 'Personal Column'. I think they should have worked with a play on the words relative to a taxi dancer, e.g. 'Death on a Dime', or something similar.

BTW, I am becoming all powerful. I was watching this and after one drink, half a dinner and a little flirting on the phone, suddenly Lucy and George proclaim their everlasting love for each other, with a couple of 'darlings' and 'sweethearts' thrown in for good measure, so I says to my invisible and silent movie watcher partner. "What the He** is this, a Douglas Sirk movie????? After it was over, I started it over and there was good old RO announcing that it was a Sirk movie!!!!!!! I guess I'm getting tuned to his type of dialog and fantasy story telling.

Anyway, besides all of the above, this was a good movie. I am constantly astounded at how some run of the mill, little bores become beloved classics, yet well acted, (even well directed), and often amusing gems like this are pushed to the wayside. Lucy is gorgeous and luminescent. George Sanders, for once is not the sleaze he usually is, even though you expect him to be from the original meeting on the phone. He also does a few seemingly sinister things that have you convicting him, and the sting will make you sit up and take notice. There are a lot of other folks who make up the police and maids and butlers and such, who I recognize, but don't know the names of, and there is one section with Boris Karloff that will ultimately make you laugh, or not.

In any case, I hope you took the advice given and recorded Lured, you'll probably be glad you did.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Re: LURED

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "A Scandal in Paris" better than "Lured," but "Lured" is very enjoyable.

I loved the Boris Karloff section, by the way.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really enjoyed Lured, flaws and all. It surprised me, because I really liked the format of it - the segments showing each personal ad character or situation. And of course, Boris was the highlight.... When it finally got back to the actual storyline, I kind of missed a beat, and wasn't as interested, despite George Sanders getting roughed up in a way that was very attractive... I don't think I've ever seen him mussed up before. Whew! :D

Anyway, I sort of wished they had simply continued to have more and more personal ads with cameos by different actors. I also simply loved Alan Mowbray and would have enjoyed more sinister manipulations and well, lechery. He really cracked me up.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, made a copy, and think about what happened to each of the characters after the end of the film. It would have made a nice series, kind of like Maisie goes noir.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Maisie goes noir
...it would have made a great series!

I love this movie and wish I'd recorded it last time it was on. I'll have to put it back on Netflix, I guess.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh , thats a great point, kingrat! Because I was struggling to see any Sirk at all......

BTW, congrats on your wonderful programming schedule over at TCM city. Loved it! I hope you do more.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ms. Favell:

When watching a Sirk movie, just listen for overly mushy, 'romantic', dialog. Or an instant romance such as I mentioned in my original post - one dinner and a couple of drinks and they are swearing their undying love, etc. Normally, excessive clothing on the women is another clue. Spectacular 50's lounge outfits when you know the lady is planning to just sit home alone all evening, yet dresses to the nines. Finally, in a movie about family relations, you will usually find at least one rather phony attention to an older person. The problem however, is that if you're a fan of regular TV soap operas, you're probably already inurred to Sirk's over the top affectations.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mrsl - good points all. I guess I really need color to appreciate Sirk... though that starry gown Lucy was wearing - wow! Couldn't you just see it in color? Sky blue with those glittering stars, and Lucy's flaming red hair? Now THAT sounds like Sirk.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Would one limit one's appreciation of John Ford to movies with John Wayne in Monument Valley?

My favorite Sirk film is THE TARNISHED ANGELS (1957). Even though made in the '50s, sorry, it's set in 1932 (which is reflected in the costumes) and is in black & white. Another of his later gems, THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1955), is also in black & white. Of his later color films that are best known and unfairly derided, two of them -- ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955) and IMITATION OF LIFE (1959) -- are (in part, because there is a whole lot more going on) sly critiques of a false and shallow culture that is obsessed with appearances. How? By using stylized acting, sets, costumes, and music and turning them against themselves.

Don't give up on Sirk.

(And I'm not a fan of regular -- or irregular -- TV soap operas...so there.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

HA! I see your point, ChiO, now you put it terms I can understand! I won't give up on Sirk, don't worry....

Did everyone get to read this at Moviemorlocks? I just found it while doing a search for Sirk. MorlockJeff seems to realize that the fun of the movie is in the "red herrings".

http://moviemorlocks.com/2009/01/24/dou ... al-killer/
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm bumping this thread up as a reminder that Lured is going to be on tonight on TCM.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

One of Lucy's best! It occured to me the last time I watched it that I've always underrated her beauty. She's was not only statuesque and stunning, her looks were like no other actress. Her comic persona on TV has always overshadowed my appreciation of her other qualities, except her brains....that I knew she had in spades.

One of the other fun things about watching her film career is spotting all the people who would eventually show up on her television show. That girl never forgot anyone, and it adds to the show if you're familiar with her film work.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's so true, MissG. I love her rapport with the guest actors on her show...she seems to have known everyone, as one would expect from such a long career in movies...but more than that she seems to have gotten along with everyone, and had good hearty friendships with a lot of people.

Lucy is gorgeous in Lured, I agree. I really enjoyed it last time I saw it, and when I took caps today, I was really impressed with how beautiful the movie looks, all that black and white shadow and light, and the scene in the nightclub is unreal! Sirk had an eye for lush setting already. It's such a fun movie, almost a pastiche of certain types of movies.

Did anyone get to see Dance Fools Dance? I thought it was just great, and Lucy looked her absolute most gorgeous in it, some feat when going up against Maureen O'Hara. It's now my favorite Maureen O'Hara performance. She seemed much more natural here than in her later movies when she tried so hard to speak clearly and with no accent, she still had a bit of a brogue in this film.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like Chio's comments from 2009. As often as not, I like a Sirk melodrama. TARNISHED ANGELS is quite good. From a Faulkner story, the literate quality is evident. IMITATION OF LIFE, bright colors and all, is thoughtful and moving. Likewise, ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS. These are good, old fashioned soapers.

I mentioned THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW on another thread. I like it. It's not the director's best, but it's mature, unpredictable. People don't get everything they want.

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION doesn't quite pull it off. Neither does WRITTEN ON THE WIND. But the name Douglas Sirk in the credits is enough to make me give it a chance.

Now back to you, Chio!