"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MichiganJ

Re: The Warner Archive

Post by MichiganJ »

New Archive pre-orders:

All the Marbles (1981)
Boulevard Nights (1979)
Carny (1980)
Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty (1972)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
Mike's Murder (1994)
The Terminal Man (1974)
Urgh! A Music War (1981) Oingo Boingo, the Cramps, XTC, The Fleshtones, X, etc. What's not to love....
feaito

Post by feaito »

:shock: :shock: Don't Be afraid of the Dark is a must-have!! The horror film which left an everlasting impression on me during my childhood!! Actually it's a TV film and holds-up quite well if you watch it as an adult.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Feaito, I haven't seen this is years, and it's definitely on The List!
feaito

Post by feaito »

You're not gonna regret it!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

New Archive Titles and pre-orders as per the Archive Newsletter. (Some of the titles are not yet on their wacky site, but most appear to be)

TV Movies:
Bad Ronald (1974)
The Bermuda Depths (1978)

Cult Classics:
From Hell It Came (1957)
Lionheart (1987)
Razorback (1984)
Reckless (1984)

60s Comedies:
Mary, Mary
Never Too Late
A Majority of One
Any Wednesday
Not With My Wife You Don't
Kisses For My President
Hot Millions
How Sweet It Is!

Silents:
Across to Singapore
The Boob
West Point
Speedway
A Lady of Chance
The Patsy
Desert Nights
The Viking

Westerns:
Return of the Frontiersman
The First Texan
Gunfight at Comanche Creek
King of the Wild Stallions
The Plunderers
Quantrill's Raiders
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi, everyone. Just thought I would jump in and say that though I've only been renting the titles so far
(I keep waiting for a "good sale" and free shipping), I may be tempted soon. Not only for the Gary Cooper
titles that have come out, but there now are three early Myrna Loys that I am coveting:

The Barbarian (my favorite of all her pre-Thin Man thirties movies; very romantic)
Whipsaw (wonderful, underrated pairing with Spencer Tracy. This is the movie Fred G. Sanford talks about to his son Lamont on "Sanford and Son". If that isn't a recommendation, I don't know what is. :lol: )
Penthouse (not as good as the previous two, but fundamental they say, to turning Mrna's career away from vampish parts to playing more mainstream girls)

Now to just get them interested in opening up Bobby Montgomery's catalogue of titles. I'll go bankrupt.

Here's a site that is a little easier on the eye than Warner's official page, when it comes to listing what's available:

http://www.classicflix.com/advanced_sea ... =1&sort=4d
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

As of tomorrow, Tuesday 17 November 2009, Aggie's 1945 MGM film Our Vines Have Tender Grapes will be available for purchase on DVD via the Warner Archive. At last, the wait is over! I'm so excited!! 8) 8) 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Professional Tourist wrote:As of tomorrow, Tuesday 17 November 2009, Aggie's 1945 MGM film Our Vines Have Tender Grapes will be available for purchase on DVD via the Warner Archive. At last, the wait is over! I'm so excited!! 8) 8) 8)
If you've not seen it before, what a wonderful experience is in store! This is my favorite of her performances, as is Edward G. Robinsons'. I am headed over to order my copy. yippee!
Professional Tourist

From the New York Post: DVD Extra: Warner Archive gets some remastering.

That note about the high definition remaster done for the Archive's release of Our Vines Have Tender Grapes is interesting. My DVD arrived today and I watched it for the first time tonight, before reading the article, and remember thinking that the image quality was better than on their Mrs. Parkington DVD. It's funny though, because on the WB store's page for OVHTG, they say that it has not been remastered, that it has been made from the best existing elements. That's their standard disclaimer, but you'd think that if they've started to remaster some of these titles that they'd let the potential buyers know about it on their site. :?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

PT, I ordered my copy on Monday, got it today. Haven't had time yet to watch it, but I sure would like to know what you thought of it. Had you ever seen the movie? I still think this is one of Aggie's best roles.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 9th, 2011, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Please do! :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I received some e-mails from the TCM site advertising the release of "Remember the Night" (1939) and a Cult Horror Classics Set which includes 5 films, most notably "Murders in the Zoo" (1933), which has been in my Wish List for years (on VHS format), but these are advertised as belonging to the "TCM from the Vault Collection". Are these also on DVD-R format, like the Lost & Found movies collection (Double Harness, Rafter Romance et al)?

I also read that three early Paramounts featuring Cary Grant will be released: "The Devil and the Deep" (1932), "The Eagle and The Hawk" (1933) and "The Last Outpost" (1935).

Are these offerinmgs basically in the same style than The Warner Archive's?

Thanks for your feedback on this subject.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

feaito wrote:Cult Horror Classics Set which includes 5 films, most notably "Murders in the Zoo" (1933), which has been in my Wish List for years (on VHS format), but these are advertised as belonging to the "TCM from the Vault Collection". Are these also on DVD-R format, like the Lost & Found movies collection (Double Harness, Rafter Romance et al)
This is a link to the TCM thread about the Cult Horror Classics Set. Judging by some of the posts, the DVDs are pressed and not DVD-r, like the Archives.
http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... 0&tstart=0