FEATURES ON TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

FEATURES ON TCM

Post by mrsl »

.One thing I like about Oscar month is that you generally get the best of the best. It's true many of the same movies are shown every year, but many of them are very much worth watching year after year. Since I am one who has seen so many of these movies more than once, I feel kind of committed to informing the more recently inducted fans of classic films about movies which should be taped so as not to miss because of work or inopportune viewing hours. Believe me, I am fully aware I am no expert, and prefer to watch movies I really enjoy, but to be faithful to classics, I will also recommend movies I do not like, but which others feel are excellent.

Tomorrow morning, very early for instance, Bad Day at Black Rock is showing. It stars Spencer Tracy, Lee Marvin, Anne Francis and many others in an intense drama in which Tracy is thought to be checking into a secret the whole town is keeping. The charisma of this movie is that when you learn the true meaning of Tracy's visit, the extreme talents of the entire cast make you feel the same crawling sensation they are feeling. I won't say what it is to prevent ruining the movie for you, but it is certainly worth setting your timer for.

Also showing early is Crossfire, starring the three Bob's of the 50's; Mitchum, Ryan, and Young, all giving a performance worthy of special interest. This is less intense than the other, but no less intriguing. You might want to tape them to watch in the afternoon after shoveling your walkway.

Have a nice day!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ollie

Re: FEATURES ON TCM

Post by Ollie »

These films are great for illustrating "Strong films need vicious, hate-able bad guys" and Robert Ryan and Lee Marvin are SO GOOD at being totally vicious bad-guys. For whatever else these films have going for them - and there are a large number of solid performances in both - I think the quality of the villain(s) is extraordinary.