Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Chit-chat, current events
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

A big gracias for the links, Fernando. I continue to pray and hope all is well with you and yours. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you very much Christy. The friend of my American friends, who had just arrived from Washington DC when the quake hit the country (she left on Saturday) and who became our friend too, sent us a link to a very interesting -and amazing- article published in the (American) website of Science Daily:

Chilean Earthquake Moved Entire City 10 Feet West, Shifted Other Parts of South America

http://tinyurl.com/yzue7bz
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That's incredible, Fernando. You may be interested in this article from The Week, listing five other unexpected consequences of the Chilean earthquake, (including the earth's axis being shifted and more volcanoes down the road for all of us). Mother Nature is awesome beyond words, but this event is beyond our full understanding.

Chile earthquake: 6 surprise effects
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow :shock: Moira. Those are other amazing facts! Unbelievable! Thanks for posting it!
feaito

Post by feaito »

It seems never to end, three more big quakes or aftershocks and many (consecutive) softer ones, have hit my country. The people are really tired and overstressed. I'm at work now and it's very difficult to get in touch with my family, friends and relatives.

Three strong earthquakes strike Chile in quick succession March 11, 2010 1:38 p.m. EST

http://tinyurl.com/yawprkx
Last edited by feaito on March 11th, 2010, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We're all praying for you and your family, friends, coworkers...let us know when you can.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Dear Fernando,

I just heard on the radio. I hope the aftershock has had no fatalities and you get in touch with your family quickly.
Chile has gone through too much in such a short time.

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was very concerned to hear that the epicenter of these latest quakes was nearer to Santiago, Fernando. I am praying that your loved ones are okay and that this constant, understandable anxiety caused by the aftershocks eases soon.

Thanks for staying in touch.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

It was an exhausting day today. It was very difficult, but at last I finally had news from all my loved ones. They are all safe. When I called my American friend who lives on the 26th floor of my building, his maid answered me (she was alone) and very frightened. Thank God I was able to calm her down. Many buildings were evacuated. Many schools too. There was a tsunami alert that affected most of Chile's long coast (my father-in-law and his family were evacuated in Viña and Valparaíso). At that same time the Presidential Transmission ceremony was taking place and the attendants, especially the foreign dignataries were quite frightened (they were very near the sea). As far as I know there were no deaths, but some buildings deteriorated even more and people in general are traumatized. Thank heavens I'm not afraid of quakes and I have been in safe places all the times when we've been hit by the aftershocks. Today I worked from 8:30 to 18:45 and my office is on the 9th floor of a building that is dates from the 1930s (I believe). My wife has been very stressed with all this and I'm fed up and angry. I wish it stopped. Besides the 3 big quakes, there were like 5 or more of medium intensity and some 10 or 11 minor ones.

My brother left for Miami today to live with his family there and my younger nephew (7) wants never to come back to Chile again. My sister told him "but, we want to see you Benjamin..."...he replied "then, come to Miami".

Thanks for your caring and concern friends.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks to God you and yours are safe.

Your friend,
Birdy
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you very much Birdy. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my goodness, feaito! I can't blame you for being upset... it is too much for people to deal with. I hope things get calmed down and these terrible quakes and aftershocks stop NOW.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday and today it has been much calmer, let's hope it stays like this!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed and a good thought in your direction.
feaito

Post by feaito »

That's swell Wendy :D