Happy Birthday, Charliechaplinfan!

Chit-chat, current events
Birdy

Re: Happy Birthday, Charliechaplinfan!

Post by Birdy »

Happy Birthday, my fellow aries...APRIL ROCKS!
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Hi! It has been a while since I posted here. I hope some of you remember me.

I got a message from Alison, aka Victoralice. She said she and her family are well, but since much of the European air traffic is at a standstill, they are all stranded in Spain. They've heard of a cruise ship that might arrive soon to take them back to England, but so far all the ports are tied up. She doesn't know when she will be coming back, but at least she's all right.

I hope she managed to have a good birthday celebration in spite of this.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi friends at SSO,

Like Hedvig, I also got a message today from Alison telling me that she and her family are well, but stuck in Spain. She also told me that they should have returned to England last Friday and that it could well take them two weeks to get back to their home. She asked me expressly to update you about this, since it's quite difficult for her to get computer access.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

She told me to tell you, Fernando. You should probably ignore my PM in that case. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Synnove wrote:She told me to tell you, Fernando. You should probably ignore my PM in that case. :wink:
Ignore your message Hedvig? Never. It was very thoughtful of you. I just replied :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Happy Birthday, Alison!

We will continue to party in your honor and look forward to joining us in person!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Hedvig,

Thank you for your thoughtful message about Alison and family. I'm visiting my son and granddaughters in SLC, and couldn't reply via Facebook as it doesn't recognize this computer, but I have been accessing my home email. Thank you for letting us know! What a bother, but at least they are safe, and that's the main thing! I'm hoping this is all over with in the summer when I go to visit my brother in England.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I hope so too, Brenda. You would love this area, it's a cultural landscape with so much history.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Synnove wrote:I hope so too, Brenda. You would love this area, it's a cultural landscape with so much history.
You know me too well- I will indeed love it! We will be going to Suffolk, where Bruce was born and raised as well, so I'll get to see lots of the beautiful English countryside. :D Bruce sent me a pic of the church at Black Notley, and it looks like a picture postcard.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It also looks like most of the tourists (and there are lots of families) are stuck here in NYC. The City should be relatively tourist-free for the next few weeks, but they are still wandering around en masse. I suppose the kids should have been back in school by now, so they probably aren't complaining.

The DJ who does the morning show on our local oldies radio station was on vacation in the UK last week and got stuck, so this morning he was back on the air, doing his show from the London studios of CBS. Very interesting.

News reports are saying that flights to Europe have resumed on a limited basis.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just heard from a friend who "heard it on the news" that New Yorkers are taking in stranded travelers! Hooray for the Big Apple. I hope someone is caring for Alison and family.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:Just heard from a friend who "heard it on the news" that New Yorkers are taking in stranded travelers! Hooray for the Big Apple. I hope someone is caring for Alison and family.
No one has asked to go home with me yet, but I'll keep an eye out for some dishy Continental types.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: but I'll keep an eye out for some dishy Continental types.
:x :| :x :| :x :| :x :| :x
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Don't fret, Klonny --I won't forget the Scotsmen.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Actually, benevolent Brooklyn Gal, I was just concerned about one Scotsman, who might need to flee the rolling hills of Vermont, if those great, Stygian clouds of Icelandic ash mutate, and begin spreading westward! Likely, I'll be the only one riding a Malamute through the Bronx.