Not sure where to put this, but anyway...

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
traceyk

Not sure where to put this, but anyway...

Post by traceyk »

A few years back, I was both excited and appalled to see it announced that Gwenyth Paltrow was going to play Marlene Dietrich in a new movie. Excited, because I think, if done well, a Dietrich bio could be fantastic and appalled because of, well, the actress signed to play her.

I google this combo evry now and then to get up dates and the most rcent thing I saw was Maria Riva stating Paltrow was too skinny. Has anyone read anything else about this project?
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Tracey,

I heard that Gwenyth was pregnant again and so the project is delayed... However, this is not an official communique but just rumour from a 'gossip columnist' - Cindy Adams.... Who knows!!

I did see a picture of Gwenyth in fishnet stockings and top hat sitting on a beer barrel about a year ago; but she looked nothing like Marlene.
An anaemic Dietrich maybe!

So maybe after "Orange" is born, as a brother or sister to Apple, then maybe the movie will be made.

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

If the film does get made I would be willing to bet it will be without Gwennie. She has all but retired from the screen to concentrate on her family and I can't see her changing that until after Apple and "Orange" :wink: are older.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

C'mon now; Stop making fun of the name of Apple.

Until a few years ago who ever heard of Aisha, or Jasper?
River Phoenix?
How about Tallulah and Rumer Willis (Bruce & Demi)?
Finally, I love Julia Roberts but . . . Phinnaeus and Hazel for her twins? Wonder what the third one will be.

There are a lot more. For some reason celebrities are seeming to find either totally unheard of names, or ancient ones for their kids.

Do you know of any others? BTW, she said when she saw the baby the first time, her little cheeks were bright pinkish red, like apples, hence the name.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I read about this proposed project, and my reaction was something akin to a shudder. With very few exceptions, today's crop of movie - um, actors? performers? zombies? - have very little in the way of the dynamism of the classic stars. How can the fresh-scrubbed and somewhat neuresthenic looking Paltrow take on the sultry and worldly Dietrich? Ya got me.

Several years ago I saw a musical play about Dietrich that starred the wonderful Sian Phillips. The play was minor, but Phillips was fantastic, and at the end of the play, where she recreated one of Dietrich's end-of-career world tour concerts - I had to keep reminding myself that I was seeing Sian Phillips, and not the real Marlene.

(You remember Sian Phillips, who was married to Peter O'Toole, and who was so marvelous as the Empress Livia in the British TV version of I, Claudius)

Still, you never know how such things may turn out. I saw another play, this one off-Broadway, about Katharine Hepburn, starring Kate Mulgrew. I wasn't sure how that would be, but Mulgrew pulled it off very well, despite the fact that she was rather short and plumpish. She captured Hepburn's speech, mannerisms, and even her energy, very successfully.

And a few years before that, I saw two off-off-Bway plays in the same season about Tallulah Bankhead. One starred Tovah Feldshuh (a popular Bway musical player). It wasn't very good, and she wasn't much of a Tallu. The other was a very low-budget affair starring a young woman whose name I can't recall, but it was really good, and this young person's impression of the Grande Dame (she was surely too young to remember the actual Tallu) was spot on, and very, very funny.
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:C'mon now; Stop making fun of the name of Apple.

Until a few years ago who ever heard of Aisha, or Jasper?
River Phoenix?
How about Tallulah and Rumer Willis (Bruce & Demi)?
Finally, I love Julia Roberts but . . . Phinnaeus and Hazel for her twins? Wonder what the third one will be.

There are a lot more. For some reason celebrities are seeming to find either totally unheard of names, or ancient ones for their kids.

Do you know of any others? BTW, she said when she saw the baby the first time, her little cheeks were bright pinkish red, like apples, hence the name.

Anne
Phineas was the first name of one of my thrice-great grampas, a Welshman who emigrated to New England in the 1750's.
I'm sure his wife thought his name was just dreamy; her given name was Zilpa!
:shock:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Judith,
All I can say about your access to great theatrical performances such as you described ever so briefly with Sian Phillips and Tovah Feldsuh is: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Any chance that you'll be attending the revival of Inherit the Wind with Christopher Plummer and Brian Dennehy while you're at it, just so I can trot out my jealous face again? Thanks!!

Say, does anybody think that Cate Blanchett might be able to pull off an approximation of Marlene Dietrich? I thought she was pretty dreadful as Katharine Hepburn, but like her in other films, especially Charlotte Gray. She may have the cheekbones to be Dietrich, though perhaps not the Prussian hauteur blended with a decadent sense of humor and glamour.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

moirafinnie wrote:Dear Judith,
All I can say about your access to great theatrical performances such as you described ever so briefly with Sian Phillips and Tovah Feldsuh is: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Any chance that you'll be attending the revival of Inherit the Wind with Christopher Plummer and Brian Dennehy while you're at it, just so I can trot out my jealous face again? Thanks!!

Say, does anybody think that Cate Blanchett might be able to pull off an approximation of Marlene Dietrich? I thought she was pretty dreadful as Katharine Hepburn, but like her in other films, especially Charlotte Gray. She may have the cheekbones to be Dietrich, though perhaps not the Prussian hauteur blended with a decadent sense of humor and glamour.
Nah, Moira, I'm giving Inherit the Wind a pass - not in the mood for heavy stuff at this time of year. I thought I might like to see Hairspray again now that Jerry Mathers (not as The Beaver) is in the cast, as well as Paul Vogt (a very good comic actor who has been on "The Mad Show"), who has the drag role.

I'm glad to read that someone else besides me disliked Blanchett's mangling of the Hepburn mystique. Cringe, cringe, cringe. I'm sorry you didn't see Kate Mulgrew - she does do the Hepburn show from time to time all over the country, so maybe you will get to see her. The first act is Young Kate, and the second act is Elderly Kate - she really nailed both portrayals. Too bad the play itself isn't better.

Dietrich would be much more difficult to get right, I think. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Blanchett being Dietrich, but I don't think very many of our current crop of American girls would be very successful. There are probably more male actors who are better qualified -- how about Alan Cumming or maybe Johnny Depp?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb and Moira:

There is a thread over on TCM regarding the possibility of Uma Thurman doing a movie on the life of Greta Garbo! Yikes!!! Nobody is too thrilled with that prospect.

As someone said, the calibre of actresses today just does not warrant the ability to portray any of the classy, and classic ladies of film (Oh gee, it was me!).

Klondike:
My Mothers middle name was Hedwig! Thank the Lord for small favors that it wasn't a family name to be carried on!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

I don't think anyone has topped Frank and Gail Zappa in naming their children...
Moon Unit (girl)
Dweezil (boy)
Ahmet Emuukha Rodan (boy)
Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen (girl)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Some of those great drag queens from the past like Charles Pierce could and did pull off Marlene.
I saw him in LA and he came out a la Dietrich in a huge white fur and diaphonous gown and drooled, "Ich bin Marrr-laina"..... and brought the house down.....
It could have been her!!

As for wonderful odd names:
I once threatened a very ardent girlfriend that if I married her, I would name our children Prunella, Hebsebah, Heliatrop and Hagadorn.....
She left me; wonder why!!!

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Uma as Greta? Oh, my...
Kate Blanchett as Marlene? She might could pull it off.

Jdb1, your are so lucky to have all those theatrical opportunities. I saw Hairspray about two years ago and it was a great production and popular here.

Moira, I'd love to see Plummer and Dennehy chewing up the scenery and plowing through the prose.

When my grandmother, Octavia Zelphia, didn't like something, she would call it "punky." Uma as Greta? I think I know what I'd say...
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

jdb1 wrote: Still, you never know how such things may turn out. I saw another play, this one off-Broadway, about Katharine Hepburn, starring Kate Mulgrew. I wasn't sure how that would be, but Mulgrew pulled it off very well, despite the fact that she was rather short and plumpish. She captured Hepburn's speech, mannerisms, and even her energy, very successfully.

I wanted to see that one, but the closest it got to me was Cleveland and it was gone before I knew it exsisted. I keep hoping someone maybe filmed it...

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde