The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

charliechaplinfan

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched this early Kurosawa movie last night, I found it interesting for a number of reasons. It reminded my so much of watching a Shakespeare play, it was the addition of the comic porter, many of Shakespeare's play have a comic character within a serious subject matter, it retains some of the style of the Japanese theatre although whether it's closer to Noh or abuki I'm not sure. The movie was made in the closing days of the Second World war and the story concerns a group of 7 men trying to get out of a territory, the odds are stacked against them. Is this a message ot the Japanese people? There is an ambiguity within the movie too, does the man in charge know who they are and let them pass anyway? I think he does, it's up to the viewer's interpretation. Although the movie is mostly studio bound and in some places there's obvious painted scenery, it doesn't feel studio bound, it truly feels like it is filmed outside. It runs to 58 minutes and features early appearances of Masayuki Mori and Takashi Shimura.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on May 19th, 2010, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

I read this review with interest on the imdb, the reviewer seems to know his Japanese history.

Kurosawa re-tells a famous incident which occurred in Japanese history around 1185 A.D. (I can't remember the exact date), Yoritomo and Yoshitsune were brothers who fought a common enemy, but after the enemy's defeat, Yoritomo turned on Yoshitsune and sought his death, creating a dragnet by setting up barriers and search parties all over Japan. Yoshitsune fled with a small band of loyal followers, including Benkei, a famous warrior monk. With much hardship, they made their way along hidden forest paths hoping to seek refuge with an ally, disguised as monks (Yoshitsune is eventually disguised as a porter). But they come upon a barrier guarded by Yoritomo's men, who have orders to execute suspect monks (three unlucky 'suspect monks' have already been executed at this barrier the day before), as the word is out that Yoshitsune is traveling in such disguise. Recounting a famous incident in samurai lore, when Yoshitsune (as a porter) comes under suspicion from an observant barrier attendee, Benkei immediately intervenes and tries to protect his lord from unmasking by beating Yoshitsune half to death with his famous rod and shouting "You always cause us trouble!", they are allowed to pass the barrier as it is inconceivable that any retainer would ever lay a hand on his lord, such an act would certainly be grounds for instant death. So of course, the porter couldn't be a lord, he must be just a regular porter. Over the objections of the barrier attendee, Togashi waves them through with safe passage. Apparently one of the ironic things about the entire story is that everyone in Japan knows that Yoshitsune passes this barrier only to be hunted down two years afterward and forced to commit suicide, while Benkei ends up much like El Cid, protecting his lord. It is said that in their dramatic last days, he rushed into the castle and shouted "All is lost!" and Yoshitsune asked Benkei to give him time to slay his wife and child and commit suicide. So Benkei agreed and went back outside to fight his losing battle and fend off the enemy as long as he could. His reputation was so fearsome that the enemy shot him full of arrows and he still stood ferociously, after a time the enemy approached him in trepidation and touched him, whereupon he toppled over and they discovered that he had been dead for awhile. So, like a scarecrow, he had guarded his lord and discharged his duties posthumously. I read somewhere that Togashi, the man who let him pass the barrier, knew exactly who he was, but was so much in sympathy after seeing what straits Benkei was driven to to protect his master, that Togashi let them pass anyway, possibly inferring that he would be required to commit suicide later, for letting them slip through his fingers. If so, this could explain why Togashi later sends sake to the group, it could be that when it is presented to the monks, Benkei also understands that Togashi knowingly let them pass and will be required to kill himself. He is in essence sharing a symbolic farewell drink, therefore he does drink to the dregs and appreciate the chance at life which was granted to them through Togashi's own self-sacrifice, so he sincerely drinks to Togashi. However, I must say that Susumu Fujita (as Togashi) looks so very sincere during all of this that I have a hard time believing that he indeed knew of the subterfuge, perhaps the sake was sent as a token of admiration and a kind gesture only. Like a lot of Kurosawa scenes, a great deal seems to be left to the viewer's interpretation. The story is famous culturally also because it is immortalized in a Kabuki play, The Subscription List, much of the treatment in this film appears to follow the Kabuki rendering of events (I have never seen the Kabuki play, but I read the synopsis, and it appears to have the same story-line. Costumes appear to be very similar, looks like mountain yamabushi, possibly Shugendo sect). The addition of the humorous comic is one difference, I don't know why Kurosawa put him in there, but one can get a sense of what appealed to Japanese people in 1945 as it is said that he was a well-known comedian.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Criterion is bringing this out on DVD along with three other early Kurosawas in their Eclipse Series, no.23, "The First Films of Akira Kurosawa." I will finally be able to complete my Kurosawa collection. :)

Go here for the release info:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/743-ec ... a-kurosawa
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for the details. I still have a few to see, there's only a couple I haven't cared for The Idiot and The Most Beautiful, I think on second viewing I'd appreciate The Most Beautiful more, I'm not sure I could take to The Idiot but I do appreciate what he was trying to do, all of his other films that I've watched I'd proclaim if not masterpieces then very close. I watched A Wonderful Sunday a couple of days ago, I thought it was another Kurosawa masterpiece.