The Day of the Outlaw

mrsl

The Day of the Outlaw

Post by mrsl »

Believe it or not, the troubles in this movie begin over a woman!!! A big rancher, who had an affair with a farmer's wife, decides he wants her back, so he uses the excuse that the farmer is running barbed wire fencing to come into town and put a little fear into the husband. After about a half hour of Robert Ryan being his tough, tyrannical self, along comes Burl Ives with his gang of cutthroats. Personally I find Ives to be the star of this film because he steals it away from everyone else in it. You are watching him whenever he's on screen, but that happens in nearly everything he does. They have broken into a bank and are running from the army troop following them but Ives has been shot and want to rest overnight before going on. He promises that if everyone does what they're told, all will be well. Ha, ha. As he's laying down, his men want some drinks after their long ride but he has left word that there is to be no drinking, so some in-fighting begins. Then they eye the young girls in town, and etc., etc., etc. After a time, Ryan makes a deal to lead them through the mountain by a secret pass he knows of and the rest of the movie is their trek through the mountain. BTW, I failed to mention it was the dead of winter, and snow is on the ground, also, there is no secret passage.

This is my kind of western with lots of shooting, fighting, psychological standoffs and all the other things that make up a good action packed western. Without a doubt, it is worthy of watching whether you have Encore Western, or if you rent it, you won't be unhappy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Day of the Outlaw

Post by movieman1957 »

You might enjoy parts of this discussion.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=3&t=3692
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Re: The Day of the Outlaw

Post by mrsl »

Thanks movieman1957:

I usually use the search machine, but I didn't recall ever seeing anything about this movie so just went along and posted my thoughts. I still would like to hear more comments from other folks about it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************