WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER (1922)

pktrekgirl
Administrator

WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER (1922)

Post by pktrekgirl »

I watched this film over the weekend. Of course, the headlining star was Marian Davies (who I thought was very good), but this film was also of interest to me because it is an early William Powell role.

I quite enjoyed Marian Davies...and the guy who played Henry VIII was perfect for the role. William Powell plays a bad guy, and does a good job...although it is more than a big surreal seeing him in tights. :lol:

The film was okay - a nice enough period piece. Although I thought it was a bit long...and contained some unnecessary scenes.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this film?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

That is one that I don't have, although I love Marion (but unlike most people, I thought The Red Mill was too silly for words).

Have you seen Docks of New York? I've been saving it for a while, and finally watched it this weekend. What a fantastic movie!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Beda,
Could you please tell me if When Knighthood Was in Flower was a dvd or vhs? From what stills I've seen, I'd like to see this film just for the sight of William Powell in tights--I think. Isn't this one of those Marion Davies vehicles that Hearst believed would reveal to the world his beloved's great dramatic power? Too bad ol' William Randolph Hearst wasn't content to allow her to simply be the deft and likable comedienne she was destined to be. :wink:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ I have it on DVD-R Moira. It is not a commercial release, but was apparently grabbed off of TV at one time.

And yeah...William Powell in tights is a trip.

PM me if you want to talk about it some more. :)
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

moirafinnie,

:? I have the same version as Beda. I got this from a fellow collector, a short time ago. It is not the best quality. The actual original recording may not have been all that bad, but it was not transferred well to DVD-R.

I think this is the old Video-Brary version from VHS? It has the VB logo in the right hand corner of the screen at all times. I have a handful of other movies with this same logo.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Jeffrey,

I noticed that logo at the bottom of the screen.

What is/was Video-Brary?