Chilean Mine Rescue

Chit-chat, current events
Birdy

Chilean Mine Rescue

Post by Birdy »

I am watching this live and just wondered who else from our group is tuned in. How incredible...thrilling...moving. My heart goes out to the miners, their families, and the rescuers and their support. It has been an unbelievable venture.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Chilean Mine Rescue

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've been watching it on breakfast TV, how wonderful, what a feat it is to rescue these men, they've featured very much in our news, to see them coming to the surface one by one is so inspiring, let's hope they all get out safe and sound. It's nice to have good news for a change.

They must be glued to their TVs in Chile.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I watched the first man being lifted out last night, it was so wonderful I was in tears. My friend who is South American is so proud, she keeps me updated with every new development. I like seeing something positive for a change in the news. Those men are very blessed and I am impressed with their humility and courage.

It really puts things in perspective. These guys have better attitudes than so many on the outside.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I have been watching all that I could and am thrilled at the perserverance and success so far. I cried many many times.

I was interested in the story of the American rock drilling company who was international and had equipment nearby. The owner flew more equipment down to Chile and promised he could do better than the original promise of a December hole opening. As we can see he did the job. Hooray for everty single person who made this happen. Including the President of Chile who allowed all of the technology to come in and be involved. Those video cameras in the hole are fantastic. There may be 33 movies out of this.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
feaito

Post by feaito »

This story has had a wide press coverage in Chile for months, but I've been really impressed by the extremely wide international press coverage all over the world! BBC's International channel, TV5, all the CNNs et al have been covering almost non-stop the rescue of the miners. A one of a kind experience, since they survived for almost three months deep into the earth and were all rescued unscathed today (by now); only people from the rescue team have to come up...The international news said there hadn't been a coverage of these sorts and with such an audience since the Man got to the moon in 1969!!!

I worked all day -normally- but I was going whenever I could to the Trading Desk of my company where they had a big TV screen tuned in our main Public TV station which has transmitted non-stop the whole rescue. It's been a tremendous thing to experience for all of us. This year has been quite eventful: the earthquake, the first right wing President since the 1960s, the notorious trial of one of coldest murderers of all time and the miners' tragedy which had a happy ending...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I hope I can visit Chile one day, Feo...what a remarkable people you are. I've loved
following this story.
:)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fernando,
I don't really know too much about the politics of your president, but he certainly is handsome and charming! Judging by the depth of his smile lines, I think he must use those muscles quite a bit. His pride and love for his countrymen was very compelling.

The whole story has just been so uplifting. (Pardon the pun.) We had CNN and BBC on the computers at work and kept flipping over to the live feed - just amazing to be a part of it. My husband had to go to bed early, so I watched the first couple of rescues with my mom and dad by phone. It is so intersting the personalities that are apparent in the miners. The first man out was so tender and sweet, and the second was ebulliant and, well...a bit of a ham. There doesn't need to be a movie, they are the movie!

Are there "Mine Rescue" parties all over your country tonight? I'm sure there were more than a few held here in America in honor of this worldwide celebration of success and hope.
B
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi April, I hope you can one day too! Thanks for your words.

Birdy, Right now the people are celebrating all over the country and especially at the site and Copiapó. Thanks for your words too.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I am thrilled and privileged to have witnessed two real miracles in my lifetime. One is the Chilean Mine Disaster and the second is the Miracle On The Hudson. I did not know I had so many tears to shed.

I never feel personal accomplishments are miracles. Only recoveries from disasters. I am totally turned off by people who thrust themselves into the line of danger for the thrill of personal achievement. These mountain climbers and deep sea divers and athletes are just showoffs and never heroes in my mind. While the Moon landing was a wonderful engineering accomplishment, I do not consider that a even close to a miracle.

Chile was a display of heroism as I have never seen before. All of those people deserve medals of the highest order. I hope all of the miners receive monetary compensation to allow them to revel in their glory for the rest of their lives. They deserve it and let them profit from any media exploitation that may come along.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

I'd love to go and visit Chile one day, hopefully.

When I woke this morning all the miners were rescued, how good it is to start the day with good news for a change.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'd love to go and visit Chile one day, hopefully.

When I woke this morning all the miners were rescued, how good it is to start the day with good news for a change.
I'd love to meet you in Santiago Alison :D
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I visited Chile in 1998 during a long tour of South America and loved every moment. We entered Chile by crossing the Andes from Argentina via a series of lakes, starting the day in Bariloche, Argentina and ending in Puerto Montt, Chile. What a spectacular day that was. After a couple of days in Puerto Montt we cruised south for a couple of days through the glacier bays of Patagonia on a catamaran and then docked at a remote thermal resort called Termas de Puyuhuapi:

After a couple of days at the resort (wonderful natural hot mineral springs, did my arthritis a world of good) we cruised back north through the glaciers and then headed up to Santiago and environs for a couple of days, then flew out to Easter Island for a few days, then back to Santiago before continuing on to the next country. One couple in our group didn't go with us to Easter Island but took an excursion on their own up north to Calama, to see the copper mining area. They found it very interesting, but I loved Easter Island (Rapa Nui).

I could recommend a tour of Chile to anyone who enjoys travel. It is a wonderfully diverse country with very friendly people. I was surprised to learn of the influence of german culture and language in that country, due to the amount of german immigration after WWII. The local guide we had in Santiago, Bernardo, is one of the nicest I ever met during my tourist years and if I still remember him after twelve years I may never forget him. I suppose the fact that he bore a strong resemblance to former mayor of NYC Ed Koch has something to do with it. :)
charliechaplinfan

feaito wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:I'd love to go and visit Chile one day, hopefully.

I'd love to meet you in Santiago Alison :D
I'd love to, one day when the kids are grown I'll come over.
feaito

Post by feaito »

What a wonderful account of you travel to Chile PT, thanks for sharing it with us.