OOPs

News and Upcoming Releases
srowley75

OOPs

Post by srowley75 »

Hey all,

With all the classic movie titles on DVD that are constantly going out of print, would it be possible to dedicate a thread to "heads ups"? (Assuming that we do have members that keep track...)

I know the last time I checked that there were websites dedicated to staying alert, and collectors also use sites like Home Theater Forum to spread the word (though that site is rather active and it's easy to miss things) but I thought it might be a bit easier to keep track of (specifically) classic titles on a list like this.

I was shopping this week for a couple people and was surprised by all that's gone out of print (or become unavailable on Amazon.com, at least). Many titles can still be purchased used and relatively cheaply, but others sold by collectors are very expensive. I mean, all I can say is that I'm very glad I bought that Dead of Night/Queen of Spades twofer a few years ago, as well as The Mark and several other titles.

-S.
MichiganJ

Re: OOPs

Post by MichiganJ »

I missed out on the Warner Brothers sci-fi double feature of When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth and Moon Zero Two, which went out of print before I knew it even was in print. (As much as I want to see Jim Danfoth's stop motion animation--and, of course, Victoria Vetri--the $60 used price is hard to justify.)

My order from Amazon of All the Colors of the Dark has been backordered for over a month. My guess is that it may be going out of print, too.

Is there a site to learn what is going out of print?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

As far as whether or not there's a website - I'll check my archived messages for the link I was sent by a friend some time ago - it was either a website or blog, but I stopped following it because it wasn't being updated regularly.

I didn't really become concerned about this until recently when searching for several titles and finding them unavailable except through "Used and new" sellers on Amazon.com. And these aren't obscurities, either - films like Nashville (which I remember hearing was being picked up by Criterion, but that's been ages and I don't know if there was any truth to it), Possessed '47, Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde '31 (which I snapped up used on Amazon before the price got too high - it's one I could see being ignored on Blu-Ray, for sure), The Masque of the Red Death '64, Seconds, Queen Christina, Don't Look Now, Gunfight at the OK Corral, etc. Some of the Warner Home Video titles are still available within the expensive sets, not individually (that's the case with the Garbos, anyway). The first set of Mario Bava is also gone. I'd get more concerned about the Chaplin titles, but from all I've heard Criterion will be getting to those soon. It's just that those films tend to become unavailable through rental outlets as well once they go OOP. NetFlix used to be that way when I was a member, anyway.

I wish I could've gotten more No Shame titles before they went out of business - I wanted both Your Vice is a Locked Room...and Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, and they're both unavailable now (and quite expensive used, the last time I checked).

What's totally weird is that on Amazon.com, more VHS titles have started becoming available commercially - of films both out of and still in print on DVD.

-S.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The Chaplin films have been picked up by Criterion for region 1 release. As per the wishes of the Chaplin Estate, all of the films will be the edited re-issue versions, with the edits available as special features (like the previous Warner Brothers/Mk2 editions).

Search under Blade of the Ripper for Mrs. Wardh. Same print as NoShame, but only a trailer and short photo gallery for extras.

Bava vol. 1 is still available at DD:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/f ... 73D8EEA3C/
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key is available in Region 2:

I don't know if this is the No Shame print or not (there are no reviews), but it's definitely cheaper. Incidentally, No Shame's sister label in the UK (Shameless) is still going strong, so if you're a Eurotrash fan you might invest in a region free player. They also have some cool Gialli and Eurocrime that have never been released here:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Another forum that also might be of some help:

http://www.lovelockandload.net/