They Were Married Once

Fossy

They Were Married Once

Post by Fossy »

They Were Married Once

Sometimes it seems that actresses just live to collect husbands. But not all joined the “marriage-go-round”. Here are some who didn`t.

ANN BLYTH
Probably my favourite. Married at age 25 on 27 June 1953, had five children and was widowed on 12 May 2007. About 6 weeks short of her 54th anniversary.
She once said "As an actress, I have always believed that the truer challenge, the deeper obligation, begins after the camera stops. My role as a woman in my community and in my home has always overshadowed the excitement of any part I have ever played on stage or screen."
With an attitude like that it is no wonder her marriage lasted.

ANNA MARIA ALBERGHETTI
Married 12 Sep 1954 age 18 years, had 2 children, and divorced at age 28. She never remarried.

ELEANOR POWELL
Married, age 30 years to Glenn Ford on 23 Oct 1943 and divorced 16 years later on 23 Nov 1959. She never remarried. She devoted the rest of her life to her Church ( she was an ordained minister) and her son. Her ashes were placed in a bronze bible replica.

GLORIA JEAN
Married at age 36 years and divorced at age 40. She had one son. Gloria left movies, devoted herself to her son, and became the voice of Redken cosmetics.

GRACE MOORE
Married at age 32 on 15 July 1931 and remained devoted to her husband till her death 16 years later on 26 Jan 1947. She had phoned her husband, who was too ill to accompany her, before leaving her hotel to board the fatal flight She had no children.

IRENE DUNNE
Married at age 29 on 16 July 1928, she had one adopted daughter, and was widowed 37 years later on 15 Oct 1965.

JEANETTE MACDONALD
Married at age 34 on 16 June 1937, she and her husband were still married when she died 27 years later on 14 Jan 1965. She had no children.

JEANNE CRAIN
Married at age 20 years on 31 Dec 1945 and widowed 57 years and 10 months later on 1 Oct 2003
Her married life was not all smooth sailing as she separated from her husband for a short time. She had 7 children and survived her husband by only 2 months.

BILLIE BURKE
Married at age 20 to 47 year old Flo Zeigfeld. She had one daughter and was widowed 18 years later. She did not remarry and survived her husband by by 37 years 10 months.

HELEN HAYES
Married at age 28 to James MacArthur, there were 2 adopted children. Her son was a successful actor.She was widowed after 27 years. She did not remarry and survived her husband by 37 years.

ANN-MARGRET
Married at age 26 to Roger Smith on 8 May 1967. She had no children, but became stepmother to Roger`s 3 children. Married 43 years and counting.

MARLENE DIETRICH
Married at age 22 on 17 May 1924 to Rudolf Sieber. She had one daughter. The marriage lasted 52 years. She was widowed on 24 June 1976
Last edited by Fossy on December 1st, 2010, 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Uncle Stevie

Re: They Were Married Once

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Do not forrget my favorite actress, Deanna Durbin, who after two short time marriages at a very young age finally connected with Charles David to whom she stayed married for over 48 years until he passed on. Some times it is just finding the right one.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Uncle Stevie,

Thank you for your interest. As you know, Deanna is also one of my favourites, and I know that her third marriage lasted. However, because she was married three times, she is ineligible for inclusion in a list of actresses who were married only once. Watch out for a new list which I may call "The Marry-Go-Round", or perhaps "This Time Lucky".
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ben Johnson married his wife Carol in 1941 and they stayed together for 53 years.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

On the other hand, it is said that you learn from your mistakes which probable applied to Paul Newman/JoAnne Woodward, and Gregory Peck/Veronique. All four were married to other people at one time, yet when they married each other, their marriages lasted 48 years (Peck), and 50 years (Newman). It's a shame the first marriages failed, but obviously they all learned how to work at a marriage to keep it going, and I'm sure a lot of people forgot that they had all been married before.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The glorious Gena Rowlands, married only to the great John Cassavetes: April 9, 1954 - February 3, 1989 (his death). On her husband: He's the most terrifying perfectionist about what he wants. As an artist, I love him. As a husband, I hate him.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

James Cagney - who often swore that he owed everything about his success in life to his beloved Frances.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He was a great guy, I like that about him, he was very grounded.

Charles Boyer and Maurice Chevalier only married once. Boyer's marriage a success, Chevalier's ended in divorce.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin