KAY FRANCCIS DAY

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

KAY FRANCCIS DAY

Post by mrsl »

Thank goodness for Kay Francis Day, because they reshow all of her movies and I love to watch them, most of them are really smarmy, but they hold a certain fascination. Many of them are different stories but also there is usually someone in or just out of prison. I taped a couple because I had to leave for therapy, and that cuts out the end of one and the first half of another. Then to watch some of the stuff I taped last night, I taped Always in My heart, which I just finished watching. According to Lauren Bacall, Walter Huston didn't have a single protective bone in his body, so he proves to be a talented actor in many of his movies. I wonder; were audiences really that enthralled with operatic singing? There were so many of them, from Marie MacDonald to this girl, and earlier Deanna Durbin filled our ears. One question about Always in my Heart - - who was the little blond girl running around and obviously living with Kay's family? She was too young to be Mac and Kay's, and an illegitimate child would never be allowed, so did I miss her intro?

One thing I can't understand about Kay's movies is why in the world Ian Hunter is always left behind. He is equally as handsome, debonair, charming and intelligent as any of the other men in the films, in fact, more so in some cases, yet the man is always second banana. Did he ever get the girl? Another dish of schmaltz was My Bill and boy did they play this one out :!: :!: :!: I can understand casting directors infatuation with Dickie Moore, he was such a little man as well as a little boy. My Bill was so syrupy you needed a moist towelette to serve with it. But it finally pulled itself out of the mire.

In all it was a thoroughly fun day. I have a couple more to see, like Comet over Broadway, that sounds special, and two more but don't remember their names. I may sound snide but it's just my warped sense of sharp edged humor coming out. I have had a ball watching someone who three years ago, I couldn't have pointed out in a police line-up. I just knew the brunette lady, and Ann Harding is the blond lady with mufflers.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Re: KAY FRANCCIS DAY

Post by Birdy »

I watched Play Girl 1940 and enjoyed it very much. I especially enjoyed Margaret Hamilton's character, Josie, and some of her lines:

We're in? In what? Clover, hock, or jail?
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

MrsL, I like that "smarmy" comment because that's what I get, too. But completely positive. As in Smart-Charmy. I have to admit the "operatic singing" always has me scrambling for some other activity during those moments but I love Irene Dunn's later films where she'd take her good voice out for a spin, and cast laughing eyes in the middle of a Cary Grant tumble.

These Kay films are getting to be favorite additions. COMET OVER BROADWAY was surprisingly 'hard'. Unexpected.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Kay sure knew how to wear outfits that catch the eye,and I'm sure thats its not only the male eye. For some reason I'm loving her films and finding that she stirs my CENSORED ! :oops: