Pioneers of Television

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Pioneers of Television

Post by movieman1957 »

When I start seeing promos for "The Kingston Trio" I know another pledge break is coming. It seems we just had one. It also means another week without "Red Green."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

It also means another week without "Red Green."
and this is a very good thing.... :lol: :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is interesting that for a show that has nothing to do with or for or about women it has its female fans. My bride and daughter are among them.

I'm a man. I can change, if I have to, I guess. ("The Man's Prayer.) The wisdom of Red Green.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Having been both female and a longtime believer in duct tape, naturally Red Green is very appealing.
[youtube][/youtube]

Our PBS station likes to trot out an interminable Doo Wop Special every blessed time they put out the begging bowl. Last time I read some literature they sent me, they claimed that The Lawrence Welk Show was their most popular broadcast. I know that Mr. Welk has been dead for a good twenty years, (and his music was D.O.A. for decades before that), but if that is their viewers' idea of entertainment someone should take their pulse too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Two years ago, I purchased a clever novelty item from a cash-out display basket at a local gas station: an actual, functional wallet made entirely of duct tape.
With no accompanying explanation, I sent it to my son Wes for Xmas - as a joke gift.
When he visited 4 mos. later, I discovered that he'd replaced his former leather wallet with the duct tape one, and was carrying & using it on a daily basis . . and he still is!
I've never confessed to him the crossed intention - but every time I see him pull the silly thing out, I feel so darn guilty!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Holy cow, it's amazing how much James Arness looked like my dad the last ten years of his life.
They were both big men, my dad was 6'5 in his prime.

And Ed Ames and Henry Darrow look terrific (though I could have done without Cam Mitchell without his shirt in that one scene). Rosey Grier has aged well too.

The one that really surprised me was Fess Parker. I've seen interviews with Fess from about ten years ago when he was still robust.

Angie Dickinson looked good too.

It was really sad to see those who were interviewed and no longer with us. I loved Robert Culp when I was younger.

The TV Academy has done a terrific job with their legacy program getting those who were instrumental in the television industry stuck to tape as we like to say.

I wish the end credits hadn't been at an angle as I would have liked to have seen the names of who worked on the show.

And the roll call after the credits for the "Pioneers" included Richard Boone, the Lone Ranger, Zorro and more. Though I am curious as to what was the reason for the abrupt cut between Alias Smith and Jones and Dr. Quinn. My guess is whatever it was they were unable to clear the rights for.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

One of our TCM friends posted a link to some of those interviews. I've already watched 45 minutes of James Arness. You just find a name and go. It looks like they have two hours plus of Arness. I haven't explored anyone else yet.

http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people
Chris

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lynn, I am so glad that you had a chance to see that special because I thought you would really enjoy it! My Dad was "only" 6'3". I didn't know your father was so tall!

Movieman, I've got to check out those interviews again. I haven't seen the one with James Arness. I love those tall Nordic types like Arness and his brother, Peter Graves... :lol:

Klondike, I love my duct tape. I am living proof you can fix a major plumbing leak long enough so that it will "hold" until the perfeshunull gets to the front door. :roll:

Moira, I love those "sturdy" Sterling roses.. :mrgreen:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I caught the last half of the Western episode last week.

What struck me was the attention paid to "Daniel Boone." I think I was the only kid I knew who watched that show while growing up. Also, I was struck by the emphasis paid to the Rosie Greer character. I remember liking him a lot on the show, but I don't remember anyone making a fuss about him (or the show) at the time.

In fact, I think I read somewhere a couple of years ago that American Indian groups really disliked "Daniel Boone."