Choose a companion

charliechaplinfan

Choose a companion

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've got far too much time on my hands at the moment. It's probably why I ended up thinking about this. You've got to forget that we have partners or children living with us and imagine you live alone and you can have a different companion for every day of the week, all you have to do is to explain your reasons for inviting them to your house. Only one companion a day/night.

Monday - Orson Welles - I can't imagine ever being bored in his company, I think he could entertain for hours never getting tired of the sound of his own voice and a lovely voice I might add. A lively brain, a clever man and magician to boot.

Tuesday - Marlene Dietrich
- What stories she could tell and I hope she would be very indiscreet and tell all about her conquests. She's also a homeloving hausfrau, perhaps she could give me a hand keeping the house tidy at the moment or share some of her delicious home cooking. Make up tips, clothing tips, hopefully.

Wednesday - Marilyn Monroe
- Shy, thoughtful, intelligent and another good cook. I think Marilyn was a gentle person with lots of concern for others. It would be nice to have girly chats.

Thursday - Charlie Chaplin - a genius, a man of many talents, a man who must have loads of stories to tell of the music halls, the early days in Hollywood, making movies, meeting famous people. Charismatic,as with Orson Welles I don't think I'd have to say much.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Re: Choose a companion

Friday - Carole Lombard - she's meant to have been huge fun to be around, had a large vocabulary of expletives and was good at playing pranks. It being Friday the end of the week and the time to let down your hair, she seems the perfect friend to have fun with.

Saturday - Charles Boyer - I could listen to his voice all day. An intelligent and educated man, well respected. I'd take his advice on anything, wine, food, what books to read, plays to watch, films to see etc. An antidote to Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

Sunday - Cary Grant - perfect looks, lovely accent, intelligent conversation. I'm hoping he'll be something of the screw ball comedian about him and would make me laugh.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

March - Ava Gardner :twisted:

Beginning of April - Frank Morgan, speaking at my funeral. :|
charliechaplinfan

Naughty :lol:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I like that premise, Alison. I'll have to think about this a bit. There are many to choose from...hmmm.

What a way to go, Klonny.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

That same month of March, Ben Johnson.

Maybe Frank would do 2 funerals for the price of one???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Make my month of March Agnes Moorehead, eight days a week. Her old buddy Frank Morgan will be quite a popular eulogist come April. . . . :)
charliechaplinfan

Hey, are we on months now, I only picked 7 for the days of the week, if we are on months I'll have to chose more.

Am I allowed Charles Boyer twice?

I'm not sure I could do a whole month with Carole Lombard, she looks like she had energy and stamina and could dance (amogst other things 'til dawn)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm with you all the way on your Monday choice, Alison:

Monday-- Orson Welles, although I'd prefer the older Orson's extensive scholarship, urbanity and wit inserted into the younger Orson's good looks (not that the younger Orson wasn't fascinating).

Tuesday -- Judy Garland. Smart, witty, and good-natured. You seldom hear a bad word from anyone who knew her about being in her company.

Wednesday -- Oscar Levant. Oscar, please bring your piano; I just love smart, funny, sardonic men who are musical, too.

Thursday -- Peter Lorre. I think I'm old enough to handle his naughty ways now. I'll bet he was lots of fun to be with.

Friday -- Anthony Perkins. One of my favorite actors; by most acounts a nice, quiet guy, and certainly an erudite and interesting one. I'd love to talk to him about his process of acting, which was unique and not to every taste. I never did get to meet him, although I did just miss him a few times, he being a New Yorker and all. Some high school friends and I once baked him a birthday cake (April 4) and brought it to his house on the East Side, but he wasn't home. We being young and all, we didn't leave the cake at the front door -- we took it back home and ate it, telling ourselves he would have wanted it that way. I would have liked to have told him that anecdote.

Saturday -- Katharine Hepburn. The Hollywood figure I admire most. I have so very many questions for her, but I probably wouldn't get much in edgewise.

Sunday -- Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy, won't you come for sunday dinner? We're having pancakes.

There are so many more, but these are the first 7 that sprang to mind.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Sorry, Alison, but for these purposes, I couldn't separate Mr. Laurel from Mr. Hardy. :(
charliechaplinfan

No, you can't have Mr Laurel without upsetting Mr Hardy and vice versa.

What about Peter Lorre's naughty ways, I didn't know he ranked as a one of film's naughty boys.

Do you regret ot waiting around for Anthony Perkins? He does sound a nice guy, I'm sure he'd have been really nice to you all, you might even of got to eat it in his company.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:No, you can't have Mr Laurel without upsetting Mr Hardy and vice versa.

What about Peter Lorre's naughty ways, I didn't know he ranked as a one of film's naughty boys.

Do you regret ot waiting around for Anthony Perkins? He does sound a nice guy, I'm sure he'd have been really nice to you all, you might even of got to eat it in his company.
Peter Lorre was a notorious ladies' man. He must have had several extra helpings of charm to help overcome his deteriorating looks.

The Tony Perkins incident highlights the change in how we view celebrities now. Back then, we thought we had colossal nerve to even consider going to his house, uninvited. The idea of waiting around for him was just too much for us; we were too young and not bold enough. I believe you are right - he would have been nice to us, but we were just too shy. About two years later, we did something similar with Valentine's candy for the TV comedian Soupy Sales, and this time we were old enough to have the courage to make our presence known (we went to the TV studio), and he came out and talked with us, and he took the candy. Nowadays, I don't think twice about talking to celebs in the street, or at least saying hello.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Monday -- Ida Lupino: I want to hear her stories about how a beautiful and marvelous actress makes the move to director in an era when there were so few women directors.

Tuesday -- John Alton: He can do the lighting for dinner as he tells me about working with Anthony Mann, Allan Dwan, Richard Brooks, John Sturges and Vincent Minnelli, and about his battles with studios and other cinematographers.

Wednesday -- Samuel Fuller: Just be irascible and I'll listen. But no shooting of pistols in the house during dinner!

Thursday -- Groucho Marx: More irascibility and more listening...and definitely laughing. Maybe we could debate the merits of Irving Thalberg and why my guest prefers his MGM movies over the Paramount ones.

Friday -- John Cassavetes: Over a nice Greek meal, I can learn the Meaning of Life and ask why he felt compelled to leave us so early. He will be welcome to bring Gena along.

Saturday -- Timothy Carey: We will test the previous night's Meaning of Life. Will he unclinch his teeth in order to eat? What is going through his brain? A night of improvisation from The World's Greatest Performance Artist (and Sinner).

Sunday -- Orson Welles: Ahhh...we save the best 'til last. I can only hope that I'm not so awestruck that I can't utter a few syllables in the form of questions. "Sir, which version of your stories is true?" "All of them." "That's what I thought."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lots to flirt with here.

Monday - Orson Welles. We both like wine, food, travel and "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

Tuesday - John Huston. I would never go to Mexico with anyone else.

Wednesday - John Barrymore. I like challenges when it comes to fascinating people, and an evening with John when he was still young and relatively hopeful would be something to remember.

Thursday - Raoul Walsh. I'm learning to like whisky and eye patches, I already like cowboys and adventurers. We'd get along just fine.

Friday - Howard Hughes. Because my curiosity wins out over all other trepidations.

Saturday - Ernst Lubitsch. Because Saturdays sparkle more with "champagne".

Sunday - Harry Carey, Sr. By Sunday I would need a relaxing day at the ranch with Harry, Olive and Dobe.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Hey, are we on months now, I only picked 7 for the days of the week, if we are on months I'll have to chose more.
Well, okay, if you want seven days a week:

Monday: Agnes Moorehead, librarian. We browse through the Strand and some other bookstores of character, and stop in at the main branch of the NYPL to view some rare documents.

Tuesday: Agnes Robertson Moorehead, teacher. A morning ride on the Circle Line boat around Manhattan, followed by a picnic lunch in Fort Tryon Park and an afternoon visit to The Cloisters, where she can give me some private tutoring in medieval art.

Wednesday: Bobbie Moorehead, drama student. We take an acting class together in the morning, then spend the afternoon wandering around town observing human behavior.

Thursday: Endora. We stir the cauldron, disappear, and cast mischievous spells on tourists.

Friday: Madame Moorehead. Ice skating at Rockefeller Center, stopping into Teuscher for champagne truffles flown in fresh from Switzerland, and into the french bookstore to spend too much money on books, CDs, and DVDs.

Saturday: Señora Moorehead. Brunch at a great spanish restaurant downtown, then up to the Met Opera for a matinée performance of Carmen. Tra-la-la-laaaa-la.

Sunday: Aggie Moorehead, minister's daughter. She reads to us aloud from the bible, then we attend various church services around town.

I guess I'll need the week off from work. :P