*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I loved the picture of Laurel and Hardy too. I'm very proud of Stan Laurel's Lancashire origins, his birth place isn't too far from here, I intend to take the kids when they are old enough to enjoy it, I'm sure the tour guides will be given a run for their money that day. I can't stop asking questions in places like that. Stan is now commemorated with a statue in his birth town of Ulverston, I wish they'd put Oliver Hardy with him, it doesn't seem right to have one without the other.

According to this article, they did put Stan and Ollie together in Ulverston.
charliechaplinfan wrote:FDR jnr looks pretty handsome in that picture, did he ever try out in movies.

I think that the Roosevelt children were quite good looking when young. In the 1932 picture above just before FDR became president, you can see: (left to right, back row), James Elliot, Franklin Jr., Mrs. Elliot Roosevelt, Curtis Dall, son-in-law, and John Roosevelt. Centre; Mrs.Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Governor and his mother Mrs. James Roosevelt.

As far as I know, Jr. did not appear in any movies. His older brother James Roosevelt was involved in producing some films in Hollywood for a time in the early '40s. Elliot Roosevelt, born between James and FDR, Jr., was the only one who married an actress--Fay Emerson, who found her connection to the clan a bit onerous while she pursued her career (though it probably won her some jobs). Fay later said that she liked Eleanor, though she could be intimidating.

I met FDR, Jr. decades later due to family political activities. He went through five wives, ran for office a few times, and served in Congress for a time. I wonder if he ever had a moment's peace in his life. Naming a youngster after the father may be a nice gesture, but try to live down being FDR's son when you have his name. I suspect that living in their father's long shadow must have been a privilege with considerable drawbacks for each of them.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I see some cute doggies, but no Fala.... was he a later addition when they went to the White House?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I see some cute doggies, but no Fala.... was he a later addition when they went to the White House?
Fala became FDR's boon companion from 1940-1952. After her husband's death, Eleanor and the Scottie became close pals. When they finally erected a memorial to FDR, guess who was included in sculptor Neil Estern's bronze tribute?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

William Holden and wife Brenda Marshall cozy up...a long time ago
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Lucky, lucky Bill.
< s i g h >
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A table for four at Restaurant LaRue: Burgess Meredith & Paulette Goddard and
Merle Oberon & Lucien Ballard. August, 1946
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Good Morning Joe!!

Wow, what a great surprise and a wonderful feeling to wake up and see Paulette & Merle together. My endophines are kicking in big time - it will be a great day after seeing my two girlfriends.

Never knew Burgess Meredith - I think Paulette got rid of him about this time;
but did know Lucien Ballard - he was a great big handsome jovial guy - don't know why Merle chucked him out!!

Thanks for the great picture..

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Your quite welcome, Larry. Glad that I helped to make your day.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
GEORGE KENNEDY is 86 today

MARY URE (1933 - 1975)

JACK PALANCE (1919 - 2006)

ANGELO ROSSITTO (1908 - 1991)

BILLY DE WOLFE (1907 - 1974)

QUEENIE LEONARD (1905 - 2002)

HUGO HAAS (1901 - 1968)

EDWARD ARNOLD (1890 - 1956)

ADOLPHE MENJOU (1890 - 1963)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you for the picture Moira, when I googled the statue I picked a new story that had the statue covered for unveiling and it was bemoaning the lack of Oliver Hardy. I'm glad the sculptor thought the same as me. Now I need to go and see it in person and bring the snaps back for the candid thread.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FURRY CREATURES
EDNA MAY OLIVER

PATRICIA MORISON

DEBORAH KERR

BARBARA STANWYCK
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is the most beautiful picture of Edna I have ever seen!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Pat Morison and MsBarbara - Hubba Hubba . :wink:
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:That is the most beautiful picture of Edna I have ever seen!
I agree - and given her select & sterling career, I think she deserves a little admiration now & then!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This is my all time favorite photograph of Rita Hayworth and I happen to have a 8x11 glossy of this magnificent actress that graced the silver screen from 1939 to 1968.

This picture was taken right after she did You Never Been Lovelier with Fred Astaire.

I adore her, I find Redheads to be enchanting, so mysterious, so eye-catching, stands out of the crowd, and there were very few of them (I know she dyed it and did that painful hair job) those days, she was simply one of the kind, all men and women worshiped her - because they love her and women wanted to be like her - she was THE LOVE GODDESS ...

This how I describe her ... I wrote this 20 years ago to a letter to my dear friends that I shared with all of you concerning Cover Girl.

Why? – Most Glamorous, Dreamlike Gorgeousness, Lovely, Multi-Talented, and Megastar Starlet in every step of the way. She simply wipes the competition out. She was Columbia’s top female performer from 1941 to 1957. The most electrifying and spectacular movie actress ever graced the silver screen! Fred Astaire shared the world that Rita Hayworth is his best dancing partner ever! When she did Pal Joey, Frank Sinatra told Columbia – please give Rita apex billing, because she’s COLUMBIA! – That’s speaks volumes about her! I'm might be biased here ... but I have an affinity towards redheads!

One more thing ... Glenn Ford is one lucky guy.

He did Lady in Question, Gilda, Loves of Carmen, Affair in Trinidad, and the Wrath of God with her. He even gets to kiss her! And, was her next door neighbor as well. Why they never got married ... I will never know. If I were Glenn Ford - I would swept her off her feet and adore her to death!

So this is my contribution to the CANDID thread ...