*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by klondike »

Joe, I'm intrigued by the caption-banner on this one: does it date current to the year of the photo? And what periodical ran it (with the caption)? :idea:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It's obviously a cock fight and I feel so sorry for that little girl standing next to Flynn. She looks like she wants to shrink into the dirt. How could she be admitted to such a thing, and what kind of father would bring her? The reactions to the various people looking on are quite self explanatory aren't they? Some mortified, some curious, and some actually enjoying it, sick, sick, sick.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

I enjoy a good cock fight - north of Mexico, they're getting hard to find!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:I enjoy a good cock fight - north of Mexico, they're getting hard to find!
Gee, that's tough.
mrsl wrote: It's obviously a cock fight and I feel so sorry for that little girl standing next to Flynn. She looks like she wants to shrink into the dirt. How could she be admitted to such a thing, and what kind of father would bring her?
I believe that young lady in the picture is Beverly Aadland, Errol Flynn's underage girlfriend, who began dating the actor when she was fifteen. I don't believe that there was a father present in Ms. Aadland's life during this time, (though the girl apparently did have a doozy of a stage mother), so Errol probably came as close as anyone to being a father figure of sorts, in his own demented way.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, the Flynn picture had no further information attached to it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Delbert Mann directs Burt Lancaster and Rita Hayworth in a key scene of "Separate Tables"
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judy Garland welcomes Leslie Caron & Elizabeth Taylor on the set of "A Star Is Born"
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

More Elisabeth Taylor - Here's some nice photos when she did Cat on Hot Tin Roof with Paul Newman.
I love her in this movie, l love her in Cleopatra, I love her sex appeal, and most of all when she was young doing National Velvet - she captured my fancies - her eyes are bewitching - almost cat-like - these two pictures are my favorites ... I do find her quite quite ravishing and I wished I could see more of her movies. I was told my a friend of mine that Cleopatra was on TCM - and I kicked myself in the pants for not watching this epic film. Phooey on Me!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JAMES FARENTINO is 73 today

BARBARA LAWRENCE is 83 today

STEVEN HILL is 89 today

JOHN VERNON (1932 - 2005)

AL LETTIERI (1928 - 1975)

MARJORIE MAIN (1890 - 1975)

VICTOR MOORE (1876 - 1962)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Just wondering, Mongo, does Stephen Hill qualify for the longest dramatic career on American television? :?:
If not first place, he's gotta come in second or third . . he was the original team leader on "Mission: Impossible" in the mid 60's, and I don't believe he retired from the original "Law & Order" series til '99 or so. :roll:
Oh, wait, there's Bill Shatner; he's still going strong on "{bleep} My Dad Says" isn't he?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, Hill only lasted one season on "Mission: Impossible" and was briefly suspended from the show near the end of the season, during the production of episode no. 23 (entitled Action!). The suspension was imposed after he refused to climb the rafters via a sound stage staircase, as was called for in the script. Consequently, Hill was written out of that episode, and when he returned to "Mission: Impossible" for the five remaining episodes of the season, his role was severely reduced. Hill was not asked to return for season 2, and was replaced as the show's star by Peter Graves.
Hill remained on "Law & Order" for ten seasons.
I was thinking about James Arness who starred on "Gunsmoke" for 12 seasons.
Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Mr. Arness starred on Gunsmoke for twenty seasons 1955 - '75.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ken123 wrote:Mr. Arness starred on Gunsmoke for twenty seasons 1955 - '75.
Mr. Arness is a very durable actor - he was fortunate to play Matt Dillion for twenty seasons. I always admired his acting ability his sense of style and he was a very likable guy indeed. My older brother met him in person and got an autograph from him while he was in Hollywood in the last two seasons of Gunsmoke.

Gunsmoke is one of my favorites - and I wanted to thank Miss Goodness - if she see this post - that she reminded me that Encore Westerns is showing Gunsmoke in black and white ... I never get to see them ... boy, they are good. Thanks Miss Goodness for the timely TIP. :!: :!: :!:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks for the correction, Ken. Mr. Arness is most likely the champ...?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

IN THE KITCHEN...ONCE AGAIN

UNA MERKEL

RICHARD WIDMARK

MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN
Joseph Goodheart