Fernandel: a photo-interview

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Ann Harding

Fernandel: a photo-interview

Post by Ann Harding »

Recently TCM showed a French classic, the comedy Le Schpountz with the great French comedian, Fernandel. He was a star of the screen from 1930 until his death in 1971. Once you've seen his horsey grin, you cannot forget it. In 1958, he was in New York where he bumped into photographer Philippe Halsman. Halsman worked for Time magazine for many years and his 'jumping portraits' are still world famous. He decided to interview Fernandel using his still camera to shoot his reactions. The result was a delightful book called The Frenchman (published at the time by Simon & Schuster). Long out-of-print, Taschen published it again a few years ago. I scanned several pictures with the questions. Each time I look at that book, I can't stop laughing. So I wanted to share some of it with you.

How do you find America?

What do you think of the world situation?

What do you think of baseball that great American sport?

Is it true that the average Frenchman still pinches girls in a crowd....?

...Do you know that in the US this kind of behaviour can land you in jail?

Would a Frenchman answer a pollster from the Kinsey Institute?

Peter Minuit bought Manhattan for 24 dollars. Do you think he got conned?
JackFavell

Re: Fernandel: a photo-interview

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I love this! I couldn't talk you into scanning more of it, could I? I guess I should to find my own copy.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I saw that too ... Ann ... at the end ... I was laughing silly. :lol: :lol: :lol: My Dad, Grandfathers, and Uncles all loved him. One my Uncle saw him performed in France after Korean War and he went away having a ball. He is a wonderful comedian. I loved his unforgettable face ... thanks for sharing these pics.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

OK, I'll do more this WE. :wink: The original book in English is probably hard to find. The new edition is only in French, alas. (I translated the questions).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Take your time.. at your own leisure...I don't want to push. I really love Fernandel.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Actually, it looks as if there are some cheap copies around:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... &x=52&y=19.
But, I'll do more tomorrow. :wink:

Thanks Kingme. It's gratifying to know that Fernandel was so well-known in America. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, thanks for that link, Ms Harding!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Christine, you angel!!!

We had this book when I was little, with Fernandel answering all these questions. I used to "read" it all the time before I ever learned to read or went to school, (I was the last of four little kids who treasured it, and it had lost its cover by the time it came down to me). You have made me so happy by posting these images. Doesn't he have the most wonderful face?

Thank you so much for sharing this blast from my past.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

What a coincidence, Moira ! I never thought this book was that famous. Well, I'm glad it brought back some nice memories. :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

No wonder the book was so popular, the images are priceless. Thanks for posting :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Fernandel's reactions as superb!! :D Thanks for sharing this with us Christine. I'd never heard of that book.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ann Harding wrote:What a coincidence, Moira ! I never thought this book was that famous. Well, I'm glad it brought back some nice memories. :)
I'm not sure if it was famous, but my father and mother had strong ties to France due to the war (Dad was in military intelligence and worked with the Resistance and Mom worked part time for the French Institute Alliance Française in NYC during the '40s). They both had a deep admiration for the culture and loved the philosophical bent of the French people they became friends with at that time. They corresponded with friends they made during that time for decades. Because he helped one of his Resistance contacts get married and get more education after the war, my father was honored to become the godfather of that young man's first-born son. He was named for my father and the president when this baby was conceived: Joseph Franklin Delano Roosevelt Arnaud! What a mouthful.

Both my parents would often talk about entertainers and writers like Fernandel, Edith Piaf, Jean Gabin, Jean Sablon, Georges Bernanos, and Jacques Maritain as though they were people they knew. Dad even thought about moving to France for a time after the war, but family obligations came along that prevented that, unfortunately. He was never able to return to France and my mother, who loved the country and spoke the language as well as Dad never got there at all, I'm sorry to say. Still, as you can probably tell, they did instill a similar love for the country in their kids.

Thanks again for posting the pictures and exchanges. I've forwarded all of them to my older siblings, who probably remember them well too. The sight of them brings back such warm memories of my parents and the laughter they shared with us--and Fernandel!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Here are a few more!

Don't you think that the superiority of modern art is based on its entrenchment in the domain of unreality, allowing it therefore to enter the libidinal sphere of the subconscious?

As a Frenchman, what do you think of American girls' cleavage?

...But did you know that, last year, we sold four and a half millions breast implants?

Us Americans, we are strongly against sin...What about you, Sir?

Did you know that Lana Turner will be travelling on the same boat as you?...

...with her husband?
Last edited by Ann Harding on May 8th, 2011, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Again, great pics ... if you have more ... please post them, pretty please with sugar on them! These are precious :!:
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I'll try Kingme. Later. :wink:

By a funny coincidence, I watched a French comedy yesterday starring Fernandel : Le Rosier de Madame Husson (1931, Bernard-Deschamps). This lovely comedy is based upon a short story by Maupassant. In a small village in Normandy in the late XIXth century, Madame Husson (a young Françoise Rosay) organises a rosière competition. A rosière is young girl recognised for her virtue during a ceremony where she receives a crown of roses. (I think they have similar customs in Ireland) Alas, not a single girl in town qualifies: they are all the subject of gossips. Suddenly, they have an idea: why not select a young man instead of a girl? They select Isidore (Fernandel), the grocer's son. He is very shy, verging on the simple-minded. During the huge ceremony, all dressed in white, he receives some money and a crown of roses. He becomes a rosier. Suddenly, all women seem interested in him. As soon as the ceremony is over, he runs to take the bus. In the next town, he enters a seedy bar where he will lose very quickly the 'virtue' he had kept so far. For such an early talkie, the camera movements are really impressive. Fernandel is hilarious as the shy young man. The songs are well incorporated into the story. A really charming comedy.