The Kelly Brothers

Uncle Stevie

The Kelly Brothers

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Did you guys all catch the classic dance number starring Gene Kelly and his older Brother Fred Kelly. They appeared in a cameo slot in "Deep In My Heart" (1954) Directed by Stanley Donen. Starring José Ferrer, Merle Oberon, Walter Pidgeon. Biographic movie about the American composer Sigmund Romberg.

It is an ok movie with a bit of mis-casting but entertaining. Fred and Gene Kelly did a bit dance number that shows their talent. It is said that Fred taught Gene everything he knows. Try and get "Deep In My Heart" and enjoy a nice flick
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Kelly Brothers

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I thought Fred was his younger brother who Gene credited with being the more talented brother.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

You are correct. That was my mistake and I apologize. This is from the net:

Fred Kelly is the youngest of the five Kelly children. When Gene and Fred began taking dancing lessons at the ages of seven and four, it was Fred, not his famous hoofer brother, who actually liked it. As they got older, Fred and Gene performed as “The Kelly Brothers” on stages in the Pittsburgh area. When Gene left the Broadway show The Time of Your Life to star in Pal Joey, Fred replaced him. That year (1940), the show won both the Critics Choice Circle Award and the Pulitzer Prize, which was the first time a show won both prestigious awards.

One of Fred's favorite stories tells of being called to Buckingham Palace in 1944. As a Broadway star serving his turn in the Army, he was asked to teach the young Princesses Margaret and Elizabeth to dance. Years later, Gene was at the palace for a special screening of An American in Paris. Queen Elizabeth approached the film star saying, “Oh, Mr. Kelly, is it true that you're the brother of Fred Kelly?” Young brother Fred never let Gene live that one down!

Fred and Gene would only appear on film once together, in 1955's Deep in My Heart. Their number, “I Love to Go Swimmin' With Wimmen,” recalls the type of performances they gave as “The Kelly Brothers” in the 1930s.

Fred Kelly died on March 15, 2000. He will be missed by not only those who loved him, but by those of us who never met him but loved his spirit and talent.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Uncle Stevie wrote:You are correct. That was my mistake and I apologize. This is from the net:

Fred and Gene would only appear on film once together, in 1955's Deep in My Heart. Their number, “I Love to Go Swimmin' With Wimmen,” recalls the type of performances they gave as “The Kelly Brothers” in the 1930s.

Fred Kelly died on March 15, 2000. He will be missed by not only those who loved him, but by those of us who never met him but loved his spirit and talent.
I will be seeing that movie in September with the Kelly's Family. I will be down there on Labor Day Weekend.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you Uncle Stevie for telling me more about Fred Kelly. I love that story about the Queen and Gene Kelly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin