The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Ann Harding

The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Post by Ann Harding »

This is something I'm sure you'll be interested in. A silent picture (shot at 22 fps, in B&W, with titlecards) has just been made in France. The film has been selected by the Cannes Festival. It will be screened next Sunday for the first time. It's coming out on Octobre 19th, 2011 in France. It looks like a worthy effort to recreate the 20s. The film was entirely shot in Hollywood. The storyline reads:
Hollywood 1927. George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), it seems the sky's the limit - major movie stardom awaits. THE ARTIST tells the story of their interlinked destinies.

The trailer is also available:
[youtube][/youtube]
feaito

Re: The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Post by feaito »

Wow this sounds exciting! On my Must-see list already :wink: The only contemporary Silent film I have seen is the independently produced "The Call of Cthulhu" (2005) based upon H.P. Lovecraft's story -Excellent & recommended.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann Harding

Is this movie coming to United States later on this year?
After October?

Can you help me on this!
Any more information will be great. Sounds Wonderful!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

It should come out in the USA. The film will be distributed by the Weinstein Company. They just bought the fillm in Cannes.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/first-c ... he-artist/
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm hooked already, what a great trailer, a sense of nostalgia and perhaps a hint of John Gilbert. I can't wait :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I was in anyway, but after seeing John Goodman is part of the cast I can't wait. His film choices are always interesting, and this one looks fantastic.

If there is a wide distribution and it becomes even a minor hit, perhaps more people will give other silent films a chance, which is always a good thing.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today on a Chilean newspaper this film is profusely reviewed, analyzed and praised as one of the big surprises of Cannes. It seems it has made quite an impact! Good! :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:Today on a Chilean newspaper this film is profusely reviewed, analyzed and praised as one of the big surprises of Cannes. It seems it has made quite an impact! Good! :D
Thanks feaito ... for that bit of news ... I want to see this badly! I did some reading on the internet about this and more I read about this ... the more I want to see it. When you said it has made quite an impact! ... I know its has to be Good!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Welcome Kingme. I hope this film will find a distributor in my country, because I'd like to see it on a big screen, not on DVD or Blu Ray.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Actor Jean Dujardin just received the Best Actor Award at Cannes for the lead part in The Artist. That should help the film! :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great news!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann Harding wrote:Actor Jean Dujardin just received the Best Actor Award at Cannes for the lead part in The Artist. That should help the film! :)
feaito wrote:Great news!
I just can't wait to see it ... this will give the film Clout ... big time! I just love Silent Movies ... Ann Harding thanks for sharing this information and ...just like feaito said ... I second that too! :D
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The film was released on October 12th in France. It came out first of the BO charts after one week with 443,000 spectators. So it looks as if it's going to be a success.
ImageImage
I have seen the film today. I thought it was worth every penny I spent on the ticket. It's a lovely tribute to the old days of Hollywood. It covers a span of time that goes from 1927 until 1932. George Valentin (J. Dujardin) is a superstar of the silent screen, adulated by his fans. But he misses completely the change to talkies. His wife leaves him. In spite of the careful attention he receives from his chauffeur (James Cromwell), he becomes an alcoholic and a has been in no time. Away from the screen for several years, nobody recognises him anymore. A young man tells him: "You were my father's favourite!" A blessing in disguise... In parallel, Peppy Miller (Bérénice Béjo) a young extra rises to stardom. She is the personification of the young flapper. Deep down, she is in love with George Valentin, even when he becomes the shadow of his former self. The film uses cleverly some sound effects for one nightmare. Valentin is slipping down with sound, and he dreams that he can hear all the noises coming from the objects surrounding him, the traffic buzz and the laughter of others. But his own voice remains silent as if he was mute. The large John Goodman plays Valentin's director with his usual flair. There is also a very clever little dog (that deserves all the awards!) which is Valentin's pet. He follows him everywhere and saves his life more that once. The storyline is extremely simple, but it manages to create real characters. The film manages to end of an optimistic note, reminiscent of Singin'in the Rain. As for the music, I felt it was perhaps a trifle too diverse: from jazz to a complete quote of Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo. But, overall, it's a very entertaining, engaging film. I should mention that all the title cards were in English (even here in Paris) to give it the right flavour. All the sets, costumes, props have been lovingly created to be exactly right. You'll see tons of 20s film posters, fan magazines, theater marquees, etc. as well as Art Deco furnishing. I am sure the film will be a success in the US. It's got all the right ingredients and it's great fun. Run to see it when it comes out near you! No 3D, no CGI, no explosion, just real human beings in B&W.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm dying to see it, I hope it gets a good release here. I might have to wait until it comes out on DVD but see it I will.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Me too! ... either at the theater (preferred) or DVD ... Either one works!