Transitions, transitions

mrsl

Transitions, transitions

Post by mrsl »

I know things will change with the new season soon, but right now my weekend nights are pretty enjoyable. All week I'm into classic movies, and/or classic Westerns, then on Friday night, I zoom to the future and the para-normal. I start with the Ghost Whisperer, Jericho, and NUMB3RS. Saturday the Sci-fi channel usually has a decent movie on, or I watch a video. Then Sunday night is The 4400 and Deadzone. So for me it's a pretty good mix of my weird tastes. I still regret the loss of my Stargate sg1, and will for a long time to come. Hopefully I'll be able to get the 10 seasons some day, one by one. Of course that's in addition to getting the West Wing DVDs also. I'm going to have to start campaigning for Christmas gifts to my kids.

Does anyone else have opposite poles of interest like I do, like from the Old West (1800's) to the 25th century with occasional stop-overs in Casablanca and Bedford Falls?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MrsL,

I'm there with you on Friday nights and Jericho.

I started watching it when it was originally on Wednesday nights but it took two long breaks last winter and I was busy with life when it came back on and missed the last third of the season (at least).

Am now getting caught up on the story. (BTW- You will love Gerald McRainey when you get to the third season of Deadwood. The man was robbed by the Emmy committee for not getting a best supporting actor nomination this year for his turn as William Randolph Hearst's daddy on Deadwood. He is so evil.)

Also am trying to get caught up on Heroes. Another Sci-fi one that I came to late (just before Christmas) and with the long break until new episodes, part of the season went MIA for me.

I wish network television would rethink their 40+ year old idea of television seasons. Viewers don't like almost three months of reruns during a season and viewership is difficult to hang on to when you take a long break between Christmas and Easter to avoid showing reruns.

I think 24 has the best idea. An entire season in twenty to twenty-two (depending upon how many double hours they do) weeks with no breaks and no repeats.

Just my 2 cents.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

No the 24 idea doesn't work for me because without repeats, you can't catch up like I'm doing with a couple of others. I like the way USA does it by half seasons, which are about 8 or 9 weeks, then repeating the full 8 or 9 weeks in order. My only problem with that is I may like only one program on a given channel and nothing else, so if I miss a mini-season, I don't see any promos for it, which is what I did with the last mini-season of the 4400. I'm now, on a weekly basis, checking my computer for the Bravo station to see when the next Project Runway is going to start.

For some reason, Deadwood is just not getting to me. All I can figure is the language, which really turns me off. I literally sit on my couch and cringe at some of the dialog. Another thing is the grunginess of all the characters, I know they're probably depicted more realistically than anything ever before, but still, it's almost a pleasure when Bullock comes on screen, because he's generally clean looking (ditto for Powers Booth). The main thing though is the language, I'm not that prudish, but sometimes its so blue I expect a haze to form in my living room. I will hang in there through season 1 and see what happens. I'm counting on you, because you've never steered me wrong before.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
vallo

Post by vallo »

I'd have to agree with Lynn. Lost last season, took a break after 6 shows for theWinter and returned 2 months later with a loss in viewership by 30%. I watch 24, then in the off months, I play catch-up.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster