Two 70 - 80's movies

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Two 70 - 80's movies

Post by mrsl »

I know TCM is basically for early classic movies, but these two following movies, to my way of thinking, became classics the day they were released. They both deal with common problems that face every generation in both comedic and dramatic terms.

Same Time Next Year: (1978)

Two people, (Alan Alda and Ellyn Burnstyn), meet quite innocently at a remote motel where they are forced to share a dinner table due to lack of space, but have an enjoyable dinner with equally enjoyable company. However the pleasure continues as they continue to meet during the next few days and form a mutual admiration society, and when their time is ended, they agree to meet the following year during the same week, which they continue to do for more than 30 years. During their meetings you see the various fads in clothing, and hair in both people. You also see the aging process and how each one is affected. Throughout the movie, at the beginning of each week, you join in the anticipation of the first one there while waiting for the other to arrive. As much as I am against cheating and extramarital affairs, this movie shows how things happen unexpectedly and without planning, can lead to trouble. I found myself wanting to dislike them both, but the writing draws you into their heads so smoothly, you can't help but think of them as two people who need your understanding rather than your scorn. As the years progress, they become involved in hearing about each other's family and what the members are experiencing. Each is there to help the other unburden feelings they cannot share with their partners at home for whatever reason. They never have contact during the year, and in their weeks together they commiserate and celebrate the whole years' sadnesses and joys. I never miss this movie when it's on, and turn to it if I catch it only mid way or less. Emotions are there staring at you to enjoy or have a sniffle over. Some parts are hilarious (her showing up eight months pregnant once), him morose after a close family member dies. If you've never seen this one, I highly recommend it. Cook up some popcorn, get the kids to bed, and you and your spouse settle together to watch. I think you'll like it..

The Four Seasons: (1981)

This one also stars Alan Alda, but in an ensemble this time. Three married couples, Carol Burnett is Alda's wife, Jack Weston/Rita Moreno, and Len Cariou/Sandy Denis all vacation 4 times a year together and we quickly learn a few of their individual quirks, but as true friends, the bad is accepted along with the good. As years go by, each season is represented by the vacations they spend, starting with a Summer week. Weston is a penny pincher, Sandy Denis is a weirdo taking up photography. It's too bad Carol Burnett and Alda didn't do more things together because their chemistry is absolutely fantastic, you would almost believe they are married in real life. After about a half hour, Sandy Denis and Lou separate, which pleased me to no end. No matter what Sandy Denis is doing, she seems to be in a fog. Then they continue on with Lou's new, much younger girlfriend whom both Carol and Rita want to hate, but can't because she really is so nice. The film involves some very funny events, especially on a rented boat, and at a lunch they attend at their kids college, and on the ski slopes. I don't want to say too much because, like me, you'll probably think, "Oh, yeah, I've seen this all before", but nope - wrong. I don't think you've seen all of this stuff. Most of the dramatics take place in the fall at the college, and finally at the last winter ski resort.

I suggest the same treatment of this movie as Same Time Next Year, with the popcorn, kids and spouse. I'm not afraid to recommend either of these movies because even though they are favorites of mine, I think that if you've never seen them from the very beginning, you'll be happy you rented them.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Two 70 - 80's movies

Post by movieman1957 »

I felt the same way about "Same Time, Next Year." You want to hate them because they've been adulterers forever but they are generally nice people who need to share a part of their life with someone because they can't do it at home. It becomes more of a friendship, a deep one, than an affair. Three minute highlight is Jane Olivor with Johnny Mathis on the theme song.

Sandy Dennis has seemed in a fog in any movie I've seen her in.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Many moons ago, when cable tv first entered my house (we're talking 1970's here) Same Time Next Year was one of the very first movies to be broadcast by our (then) carrier. I fell in love with the movie, and watched it whenever it was shown, which was on a regular basis. My favorite line in the movie, which then became something I repeated often, is "Maybe I didn't think this thing thru". :shock:
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Hi Anne,

Both of these movies are in my stack of "to be watched" DVD-R movies. I'll try to work them in as soon as I can after my summer school and then check out your remarks after I've seen them. I love both Ellen Burstyn and Carol Burnett and I've had a crush on Sandy Dennis for I don't know how long. I really love quirky performers and Dennis certainly fits the description.

I also wanted to mention that if these are the types of films are your cup of tea, you might also want to find the comedy A Touch of Class (1973), if you haven't seen it yet. It's the film for which Glenda Jackson won her second Oscar, rather surprisingly, if I remember correctly. Although I'd read several reviewers who panned it - my favorite critic, Danny Peary, can't stand Jackson's rather snide voice in general - but I thought it was appropriately light and witty. I liked it well enough to buy the DVD.