What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Rita Hayworth

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Bob Hope - A Tribute ... by Raymond Strait

I borrowed this paperback from a friend of mine who is a big Bob Hope fan; and I find this book by Raymond Strait warm, witty, and full of adventure of Bob Hope's involvement with U.S.O, his Movie Career, and Family. It's packed with 16 pages of great photographs and what so good about this book its has his complete filmography of his legendary career.

This is a very warm book filled with memories working with Dorothy Lamour, Bing Crosby, and host of other great Hollywood Legends too. One thing about this book is his love to Delores his long-time wife ... to me ... Delores and Bob Hope are one of the Hollywood Classiest Couple that I ever read about. I admired them greatly.

What I read about him that he cares about people, his concerns for them, and most importantly he wants to make time for them. He is the most well-rounded entertainer of all time ... and most beloved. I don't want to spoil your fun by giving everything about this book; but I find this book by Raymond Strait is one of the best book about Hope's legendary career!

My favorite Bob Hope Movie is: Road to Utopia made in 1946 ... that was recently on TCM.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

ChiO wrote:MichJ --

Always happy to assist a friend in need of more Welles. http://www.wellesnet.com/?p=1173
Many thanks, ChiO! Despite knowing that the internet has everything, I never thought to do a search.

(BTW--So far, Despite the System is very good. Author Clinton Heylin makes no bones about being a Welles supporter, but has actual documents to back up his convictions. Interesting how bios on Welles seem to fall into pro and con camps, but I'm happy when someone can actually cite sources.)
RedRiver wrote:Prior to that...ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER! I can't resist another opportunity to say that! This absurdly titled fantasy is surprisingly intelligent. There's a fair amount of history. I enjoy that. And there's a quantity of...vampires! The author also wrote PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES, so he knows the territory. I haven't read that one. The Lincoln book is exciting, funny and thoroughly entertaining!
I recently read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, and enjoyed it as well. Hope the movie will be as good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1611224/
I'm not much of an Austin fan (ducking from hurled bricks) but still enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies quite a bit.
You may also want to check out Alice in Zombieland, by Lewis Carroll and Nickolas Cook. It's not nearly as ambitious as the above two novels, but for a quick read it has its moments.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I read Tim Burton was somehow involved with the Lincoln film. I don't see anything in the IMDB link. But I'm I sure I read that!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

On the IMBD page, under COMPANY CREDITS it lists Tim Burton Productions, among others.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Lippman is great at dropping the names of real people and places. In one book, she mentions the name of a professor I've actually met. It almost freaked me out!

I liked I'D KNOW YOU ANYWHERE. It's fairly new. Sometimes that adds to the excitement. EVERY SECRET THING is good. They're all good. But after a while, they begin to look alike. Most crime fiction is like that.

It looks like she has a new one coming out. Maybe I can get it at the library. I won't be paying thirty dollars for it. That's for sure!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I usually read loads in holiday only this time I managed only Odd Man Out Sheridan Morley's book about James Mason, it compliments Diana De Rossis book about him although I don't think he was a man that many got to know well, quite a prickly character who mellowed as he grew older. He made some unpopular decisions and wasn't above giving interviews to the press that got various peoples back up, all people interviewed agreed that he was a film actor of rare excellence, which conforms with my opinion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Sounds very entertaining.

I'm half way through The Memoirs of a Professional Cad by George Sanders, it's taking my time, not because it's difficult but because I find him smug and the caddishness a mask. I'm sure the smugness hide insecurities but for me it's ladled on a little thick. I'm glad I hired this from the library as it's really expensive secondhand.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

kingrat wrote:Is anyone familiar with the series of books about classic era directors called The Hollywood Professionals? Apparently there are five volumes, with the first being devoted to Curtiz, Walsh, and Hathaway. Are these primarily interviews or critical writings about the directors' films?
I have borrowed most of them from the library. They are in-depth assays about each director's work. You get a few pictures as well. I find them interesting overall as they cover some directors which have been overlooked. The books are quite small size, pocket-book type.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I've been reading Gavin Lambert's Bio on Norma Shearer and I have to say that I like very much Lambert's style of writing and that this Bio has a lot of insight, in-deep research and it's very well written. It's definitely better than Lawrence J. Quirk's Bio on Norma. Norma's fans must read this book; it blends well the analysis of Norma the human being, actress and her movies, although you might not always agree with the author's opinion of her films.
charliechaplinfan

I've found I rarely agree with biographer's view on films, they seem more interesting in the writing about the person than actually being a fan of cinema and film. I've read Gavin Lambert's book on Cukor, I liked his style too.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ali,

Did you read Patrick McGilligan's Bio on Cukor "A Double Life"? If you did; how does it compare with Lambert's Bio? Thanks for your feedback.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, I did, McGilligan's is a biography whereas Lambert's is a 'as told to' I preferred his style. They both complimented one another, I'd prefer the Lambert book, it deals with the films.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Sounds very entertaining.

I'm half way through The Memoirs of a Professional Cad by George Sanders, it's taking my time, not because it's difficult but because I find him smug and the caddishness a mask. I'm sure the smugness hide insecurities but for me it's ladled on a little thick. I'm glad I hired this from the library as it's really expensive secondhand.
For another look at Sanders, check out A Dreadful Man by Brian Adherne. They were close friends (or as close as anyone could get to Sanders) and the book reveals many insights that are not often discussed about his life.