Jane Greer Night on TCM Sat. June 25th

moira finnie
Administrator

Jane Greer Night on TCM Sat. June 25th

Post by moira finnie »

On Sat., June 25th TCM will be serving up a dish called Jane Greer with side orders of romance, revenge, thievery, and deceit. Yes, Janie was adept at being so bad she was really good. Have you any observations on the lineup shown below?
I haven't seen all of these, but remember that Don Siegel wrote about trying to make The Big Steal with an indisposed star (he was in jail during part of the filming) in his autobiography. I think I've seen The Company She Keeps but don't remember much about it, despite the good cast and director. Can't remember seeing Station West before but if it has Dick Powell and Greer, as well as Agnes Moorehead, it might be worth a look. Run For the Sun was okay, and I was interested in Greer's "Martha Gellhorn meets Lillian Ross" writer character, (until she gets all wimpy in the jungle with Richard Widmark), though I tend to remember Peter Van Eyck and Trevor Howard's strange relationship in the steamy jungle more than any sparks struck between Widmark and Jane. Desperate Search is completely new to me, but if it was directed by Joseph Lewis, most likely it has something interesting to offer, I hope. I guess I better make room on the DVR.

June 25, 2011 (All times shown are EDT)

8:00 PM
Out of the Past (1947)
A private eye becomes the dupe of a homicidal moll.
Dir: Jacques Tourneur Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas.
BW-97 mins, TV-PG, CC,

10:00 PM
The Big Steal (1949)
Seduction and murder follow the theft of an Army payroll.
Dir: Don Siegel Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, William Bendix.
BW-71 mins, TV-PG, CC,

11:30 PM
The Company She Keeps (1951)
A lady con artist sets out to steal her parole officer's fiance.
Dir: John Cromwell Cast: Lizabeth Scott, Jane Greer, Dennis O'Keefe.
BW-83 mins, TV-PG, CC,

1:00 AM
Station West (1948)
A federal agent takes on a gang of gold thieves.
Dir: Sidney Lanfield Cast: Dick Powell, Jane Greer, Agnes Moorehead.
BW-80 mins, TV-PG, CC,

2:30 AM
Run for the Sun (1956)
A British traitor hunts humans in the jungles of Mexico.
Dir: Roy Boulting Cast: Richard Widmark, Trevor Howard, Jane Greer.
BW-99 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

4:15 AM
Desperate Search (1953)
A man fights to find his children after their plane crashes in the Canadian wilderness.
Dir: Joseph Lewis Cast: Howard Keel, Jane Greer, Patricia Medina.
BW-71 mins, TV-PG,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Re: Jane Greer Night on TCM Sat. June 25th

Post by ChiO »

Desperate Search is completely new to me, but if it was directed by Joseph Lewis, most likely it has something interesting to offer, I hope. I guess I better make room on the DVR.
As I recall, this was shown in the wee hours as part of TCM's salute to Joseph H. Lewis. Certainly not one of his great ones, but better than I feared it would be. You're right -- with Joseph H. Lewis there is always something interesting offered. A shot through a spinning propeller, perhaps?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is one cold dame! As much as I like Mitchum, it's Jane's icy presence that makes their films together.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:This is one cold dame! As much as I like Mitchum, it's Jane's icy presence that makes their films together.
I agree with you 100% RedRiver ... she's one of my favorites!

Moira, I must have overlooked this ... thanks for sharing this to everyone here! ... BTW ... nice images of her too!