The Street With No Name

RedRiver

The Street With No Name

Post by RedRiver »

It had been so long since I'd seen this terrific police procedural, I'd forgotten how good it is. Did I say good? Try perfect! Beautifully filmed and precisely executed, this undercover cop story flows as smoothly and seamlessly as anything since MALTESE FALCON. A perfect movie is not necessarily a great one. Something rough around the edges can have more heart. But it's a pleasure to watch a work that plays out so efficiently.

The plot finds FBI agent Mark Stevens infiltrating a crime syndicate led by Richard Widmark. (Don't miss sexy Barbara Lawrence as the boss' beleagured wife.) With back-up from fellow agents Lloyd Nolan and the fascinating John McIntire, Stevens gains the confidence of the gang and sets out to thwart a robbery. Like the Edmund O'Brien character in WHITE HEAT, the agent must toe the line for fear of discovery, all the while reporting to his law enforcement colleagues. It's a dangerous situation for him, a thrilling suspense tale for us.

Brilliantly directed by William Keighley, with phenomenal cinematography by (I must look this up), I'm surprised this tremendous crime story is not better known. We hear much about the "copumentaries" of Mann and Hathaway. And Jules Dassin. STREET WITH NO NAME compares proudly with these classics of the genre. In my opinion, it's even better.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The Street With No Name

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just love this 1948 film, its one of the most underrated film noir, crime, and drama movies that came out in Hollywood History. I love the acting of Richard Widmark, Mark Stevens, and of course Lloyd Nolan as well. Barbara Lawrence was excellent choice to be the female lead in this movie.

Red River, what you have written here is true to the letter and I for one is a big fan of this movie ... I love the pace of this film, wonderfully written, and outstanding photography as well.

You are not alone ... I would love to see it on TCM someday!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

its one of the most underrated film noir, crime, and drama movies that came out in Hollywood History

That's exactly what I've been thinking! Why on earth doesn't this thing get more attention?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Beat Me :!: :?: :!: ... Red River ... You and I are on the same wavelength!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just saw this film, and count me as one of the very impressed. Granted the opening 5-10 semi-documentary minutes are almost snooze-inducing because they have been copied too much

BUT then the film takes off like a rocket. I love the Skid Row atmosphere, the boxing match is great, and Widmark is first-rate. The film builds to a terrific climax as well.

Before I saw this film, the only thing I had read about it was Carlos Clarens' dismissal of it in "Crime Movies" as a remake of "G-Men." (What?)

Speaking of remakes, two scenes here leaped out at me.

First, when Widmark tells off a subordinate for giving his girlfriend a mink coat. There is a scene just like this in "Goodfellas."

Second, the climactic shootout in the factory reminded me of the scene in Tim Burton's Batman where the gangster Jack Napier (Jack Nicholson) is betrayed and killed. Clearly, "The Street With No Name" wasn't as forgotten and ignored as I've thought.

Maybe the fact that "Street" is more of a gangster film in the noir style than a full-fledged noir worked against the film over the years. (But then I don't ever remember this being on TV when I was a kid, not like "Kiss of Death.")
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well.

You boys have whet my appetite. I hope to catch this over the weekend.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Another reason why "Street With No Name" may have gone overlooked in the recent film noir revival is that the movie doesn't really have a femme fatale and raises no gender issues. This may simply reinforce what I said about "Street" being primarily a gangster movie in the noir style rather than a film noir itself.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Talk about forgotten. I had to back up to my own post to refresh my memory. I couldn't remember what I liked about it!