*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
srowley75

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by srowley75 »

When I was still working in that university town in SC, I remember talking to several 20-somethings who had seen reruns of The Golden Girls - which for the past few years has been airing on several cable networks regularly - and they spoke as though it were some sort of revelation ("Old ladies talking dirty! COOL!"). And while I know about White's football commercial and a theatrical appearance here and there, I'm sure that Golden Girls is how most of these youngsters became acquainted with her (and had Estelle Getty lived long enough, I imagine she'd have had a much bigger following) and subsequently was also a large part of what fueled the Facebook frenzy. Now that Fox has finally gotten around to releasing the later seasons of Mary Tyler Moore to DVD, here's hoping that now people will rediscover Sue Ann Nivens as well.

I do remember the MTV crowd fawning over Bennett during the 1990s for some reason. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of duet with a then-popular rocker that instigated all of that. He was also featured in one of those Unplugged specials, back when MTV wasn't the toilet it is now).
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I recall reading Jack O'Brien's column in the Journal-American years ago and always remembered a tid-bit he wrote about Betty White. After she appeared on the Jack Paar show, he wrote 'Betty White is pure caramel'. And that she is.
Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Back in the early days of TV Betty White starred in 2 series, one with Del Moore that was ok, the other with Bill Williams, that one not very good. I remember that they both centered around a married couple. Bill Williams was for many years married to Barbara ( " Della Street " ) Hale.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Director Nicholas Ray is up-close with wife Gloria Grahame and Humphrey Bogart during the shooting of "In a Lonely Place"
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

srowley75 wrote: I do remember the MTV crowd fawning over Bennett during the 1990s for some reason. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of duet with a then-popular rocker that instigated all of that. He was also featured in one of those Unplugged specials, back when MTV wasn't the toilet it is now).
Bennett's resurgence in the 90s was actually the brainstorm of his son (Danny, I think) who acts as his father's manager. Son saw an untapped market in young adult music fans, and he thought they might like to hear "real" singing from a pro. Pairing Bennett with the better-known pop singers of the day was a way to get more attention for Bennett, Sr. It worked like a charm. In the two or three years before Bennett's MTv splash, he had been in rather ragged voice, but he went to a famous singing coach (a woman, whose name escapes me now), who got him back into fighting trim.

I went to a Bennett concert at Carnegie Hall during that period, and the packed house was mixed -- new fans and old. Bennett was fabulous, sang w/o amplification at one point, and looked like a hunk and a half.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Thanks, Mongo, I started a new thread called Ads! :) I reposted the Carradine story and pics over there and next I'll do my two Charles Farrell (one with Ginger Rogers) ads. :) Then start looking around for anything else I might have. ;)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

ROSCOE and ADDIE ARBUCKLE (1932) reading a large scroll, signed by Hollywood's finest, welcoming Roscoe back to films after a scandalous trial.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh golly! That Arbuckle photo brings tears to my eyes!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

jdb1 wrote:Bennett's resurgence in the 90s was actually the brainstorm of his son (Danny, I think) who acts as his father's manager. Son saw an untapped market in young adult music fans, and he thought they might like to hear "real" singing from a pro. Pairing Bennett with the better-known pop singers of the day was a way to get more attention for Bennett, Sr. It worked like a charm. In the two or three years before Bennett's MTv splash, he had been in rather ragged voice, but he went to a famous singing coach (a woman, whose name escapes me now), who got him back into fighting trim.

I went to a Bennett concert at Carnegie Hall during that period, and the packed house was mixed -- new fans and old. Bennett was fabulous, sang w/o amplification at one point, and looked like a hunk and a half.
Well, it goes without saying that as far as embracing an older performer, the youth of America (ie, the 90s youth - my generation) showed some promise by leaving aside Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer and Ace of Base to opt for a more established sound. Speaking for myself, I've always enjoyed Bennett's voice, and how lucky you were to have been able to see him live. I'll always be bitter that I missed out on seeing Sinatra.

One thing I failed to mention in my post about Betty White - apparently Snickers has another commercial in the same vein. I haven't seen this one on air half as much as the football ad, but in case anyone hasn't seen it, I thought I'd go ahead and post it. IMO, it's just as good as the White/Vigoda ad.

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

IMO, it's even better! (And I did get a big charge out of the Superbowl ad!)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

MAY 15th. BIRTHDAYS

LAINIE KAZAN is 70 today

ANNA MARIE ALBERGHETTI is 74 today

URSULA THEISS is 86 today

DORIS DOWLING (1923 - 2004)

JOSEPH WISEMAN (1918 - 2009)

CONSTANCE CUMMINGS (1910 - 2005)

JAMES MASON (1909 - 1984)

TOM D'ANDREA (1909 - 1998)

JOSEPH COTTEN (1905 - 1994)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ah, Lainie, Lainie, Lainie . . . :D :D :D
Every single time I behold you on film, the blossoming of your Brooklynesque beauty is yet more resplendent {and oh how undeservedly blessed was Mr. Sandler to even feel thine arms about his neck}.
I'd mumble more paeans to your celestial bounty, but 'twould likely require a bib . . and I do need to retain at least a scrid of my e-dignity. :oops:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Betty White first shocked me when I rented Lake Placid and she came out cussing and swearing first at the police, then later complaining about them to the crocs. I have to admit I laughed myself silly, hearing it come from innocent Rose.

I don't recall who said they liked Tony Bennett, but I would bet that 75% of his/her generation will go to their grave before admitting they liked him.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The Tony Bennett I like is the crooner from the 1950s & 1960s. I recall "Rags to Riches", "Cold, Cold Heart", "Because of You", "Stranger in Paradise", etc. Don't like the scat Tony.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Beauty Joan Bennett ready for her role as femme fatale Alice Reed
in "The Woman in the Window".
Joseph Goodheart