Chit-chat, current events
LiamCasey

Re: Someone's having a birthday!

Post by LiamCasey »

Happy Belated Birthday, Thompson!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Fee Waybill of The Tubes will be 75 on September 17th. Strangely enough, tonight his wife is hosting a small dinner party and the wife, and I were invited. Glad it is tonight since Monday is a holiday. They invited my mother-in-law, who hosted them when we went to Italy in 2019, but she is so shy she isn't going.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 5:29 pm Fee Waybill of The Tubes will be 75 on September 17th. Strangely enough, tonight his wife is hosting a small dinner party and the wife, and I were invited. Glad it is tonight since Monday is a holiday. They invited my mother-in-law, who hosted them when we went to Italy in 2019, but she is so shy she isn't going.
Updating my own post: We went to a Jewish Country Club with Fee's Mother-In-Law. This club in Los Angeles was founded in 1939, due to the fact that a nearby club wouldn't allow Jews to join. The MIN's now deceased husband had been a member since the 50s. It was a really nice evening.

The only funny thing is that Sunday dinner is a theme night, and the theme was Italian. Sadly, the Italian food wasn't up to snuff as compared to what my Italian wife can make. Liz, Fee's wife knew this from the get-go. They had a California grill that was really good!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Bob Newhart is 94 today

Detective Jim McLeod

Peter Sellers, born 98 years ago today, died 1980

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Born on September 8, 1932. Died March 5, 1963.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Detective Jim McLeod

Happy birthday knitwit45, haven't seen anything from you since December, hope you are still around here.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our very own SUE SUE APPLEGATE!!!

May you stay as forever young as your name-

...and keep good humor for this discussion board-

Detective Jim McLeod

Happy Birthday SueSue Applegate!

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Happy Birthday Sue Sue Applegate! Frankie too!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Happy belated birthday to Janis Paige, who turned 101 on September 16, 2023. Perhaps best known for starring in The Pajama Game on Broadway, she also appeared in several films and on many television shows.

Here she is in glorious technicolor in Silk Stockings.

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 9:54 pm Happy belated birthday to Janis Paige, who turned 101 on September 16, 2023. Perhaps best known for starring in The Pajama Game on Broadway, she also appeared in several films and on many television shows.

Here she is in glorious technicolor in Silk Stockings.

My favorite film performance of hers is in Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Here's a photo of her in a scene where she's about to change Laurence McKay's (David Niven) opinion of her physical attributes...

And an earlier photo when she had top billing over Doris Day...

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I wonder if Doris Day helped Janis Paige get the role in Please Don't Eat the Daisies as a consolation for taking over Paige's role in The Pajama Game movie. They had already worked together in Romance on the High Seas (1948).

Evidently the studio wanted a "name" for The Pajama Game movie and hoped to get Frank Sinatra for the John Raitt role. Sinatra, who would have appeared opposite Paige in the film, declined. So they got Doris Day and kept John Raitt.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: September 24th, 2023, 12:11 pm I wonder if Doris Day helped Janis Paige get the role in Please Don't Eat the Daisies as a consolation for taking over Paige's role in The Pajama Game movie. They had already worked together in Romance on the High Seas (1948).

Evidently the studio wanted a "name" for The Pajama Game movie and hoped to get Frank Sinatra for the John Raitt role. Sinatra, who would have appeared opposite Paige in the film, declined. So they got Doris Day and kept John Raitt.
Have wondered the same thing
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Brigitte Bardot is 89 today