Greer Garson

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Greer Garson

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I haven't thought of The Pallisers in years! I actually went out and bought all the books by Anthony Trollope that I could lay my hands on after watching it! I wish I could remember more of it. All I remember is how tall Phineas seemed. Oh and there were jewels.... I have got to see if I can find the series again..... wow, Moira, what a blast from the past. They don't make them like that anymore and it's a shame.

Your post on Greer was perfect. I watched bits and pieces of Adventure and thought it looked much better than I remembered. I had always concentrated on Gable, and could never really watch it without being worried about him, but this time I warmed to it more. Joan Blondell was fantastic as always. You are so right about her chemistry with Gable.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

As usual, your write up on Desire Me was amazingly in depth and explanatory. Naturally with Mitchum in it, it's also one of my favorites, but I do concur that he would have done a fine job in Hart's role. He has that natural chilling air about him so much more than Hart did.

Another nearly forgotten film with GG is Her Twelve Men with Robert Ryan and Barry Sullivan. In that she is a new teacher at a boys prep school, and closely scrutinized by Ryan who doesn't think she's tough enough to be a teacher of boys. This is the only movie I've seen with Greer where she doesn't have much chemistry with her leading man (Ryan). Barry Sullivan, the father of one of her students is a warmer, kinder male although he starts out as a tough as nails business man, too busy for his son.

I know I've seen Adventure but I barely remember it, though I recognize the photo included in your post. One of these days I'll catch it and consider what all of you have said.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am definitely a Greer Garson "enjoyer." Madame Curie was one of her first films I ever saw, and I had just read one of those junior high bios of
Maria Sklodowska, so I was primed and ready for the whole scenario.

Then I read ANOTHER Madame Curie book after I saw the film because I was so intrigued, but I agree with Moira on the ending. It was kind of a let-down
to such an interesting life and career. She just should have kept on working after Pierre died.....

Love just about every Garson film I've ever seen, but I am partial to the Garson/Pidgeon pairings.... :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
maricatrin

Post by maricatrin »

Hello, just thought I'd share one of my first attempts at video editing; a tribute to Random Harvest. I love this film – admittedly, the plot is wildly improbable, but everything is done with such conviction and depth of feeling, one really doesn’t care. And can there be a better pairing than Colman and Garson?

"Well, I know who you are - you're somebody awfully nice."
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by maricatrin on May 11th, 2011, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was lovely, Maricatrin! Makes me want to re-watch the movie!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:That was lovely, Maricatrin! Makes me want to re-watch the movie!
This is one of my favorite Ronald Colman films ... I forgot all about Greer Carson in this movie. She is definitely an great actress herself. Being a member of two months so far ... this forum helps me to remember all the great actors/actresses in the past and present ... and its helps us remember them period. I wanted to let you all know that ... its helps me to recall their "glory days" better.
maricatrin

Post by maricatrin »

JackFavell wrote:That was lovely, Maricatrin! Makes me want to re-watch the movie!
Thanks so much, your comment made my day! (I hoped it would have that effect with fellow fans.:D)

Kingme, Ronald Colman is included in my staggeringly large list of favorite actors (ironic, isn’t it, that a man with such a marvelous speaking voice started in silents?) I have a Prisoner of Zenda (1937) video in mind at the moment … if all goes well, I’ll share it too.

P.S. Your signature quote gave me a nice laugh yesterday; I don't think I had read/heard it before.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

maricatrin wrote:
Thanks so much, your comment made my day! (I hoped it would have that effect with fellow fans.:D)

Kingme, Ronald Colman is included in my staggeringly large list of favorite actors (ironic, isn’t it, that a man with such a marvelous speaking voice started in silents?) I have a Prisoner of Zenda (1937) video in mind at the moment … if all goes well, I’ll share it too.

P.S. Your signature quote gave me a nice laugh yesterday; I don't think I had read/heard it before.
I have seen Prisoner of Zenda ... 2-3 times in my life along with Lost Horizon, Tales of two Cities, and Random Harvest. All of these movies are my favorites. That quote ... is the one of Rita's beloved one. It's attributed to her 2nd Husband - Orson Welles who encouraged her to laugh more. Please share your thoughts on Prisoner of Zenda ... I would love to hear it. There is a Ronald Colman thread ... post it there.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I pulled this oldie thread up just to say I liked the short bio of Greer Garson presently playing for her as the Star of the Month. Unfortunately however, it's too short. More could have been said about her terrific on-screen chemistry with Walter Pidgeon; they were phenomenal and personally I think equal to Hepburn and Tracy. Also they glossed over a lot of her wonderful work ie. Blossoms in the Dust, Mrs. Parkington and Madame Curie. My favorite by far, is Valley of Decision with Gregory Peck, and she was a marvelous older sister in Pride and Prejudice.

So often when Ms. Garson's movies are featured whether for her birthday, SOTM, or whatever, I DVR several of her movies and keep them for months to re-watch now and then. I try to keep my viewings at about 9 momths to a year so they do seem fresh.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about the interstitial. it lacks passion. Quite disappointing, considering some of the others they have shown.

My favorites are Random Harvest, Madame Curie, Desire Me (really underrated), That Forsyte Woman, and Goodbye Mr. Chips. The last film used to be a favorite for me, but Sam Wood is not the most interesting director in the world, and now when I go back to it, I keep thinking it could have been more.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I agree about the interstitial. it lacks passion. Quite disappointing, considering some of the others they have shown.

My favorites are Random Harvest, Madame Curie, Desire Me (really underrated), That Forsyte Woman, and Goodbye Mr. Chips. The last film used to be a favorite for me, but Sam Wood is not the most interesting director in the world, and now when I go back to it, I keep thinking it could have been more.
I love all of those films Jack F ... except Goodbye Mr. Chips and I'm not a fan of Sam Wood.

I love Random Harvest and Madame Curie!

Desire Me ... is vastly underrated too.

That Forsyte Woman ... I have some difficulty understanding it. But, I like the general nature of that film.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A superb actress whose choices just don't always interest me. RANDOM HARVEST is fine. MR. CHIPS and MINIVER deserve their classic status. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is good. You know what? I take back what I said in the beginning. I also enjoy her as Madame Curie and Eleanor Roosevelt. I don't have a problem with her choices! This was a wonderful actress.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Your post, red, makes me think of something that a record store clerk said to me a long time ago - "Everyone loves (Insert name here - The Carpenters, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys) they are just afraid to admit it because it isn't popular to say so."

I think Greer falls into this category. We all started out loving classics like Random Harvest and Mrs. Miniver, but we've become too sophisticated to admit that we liked them.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've not got through Mrs Miniver yet, how bad is that? That very British of films. I think she's a good actress but rarely given enough to do. I loved her in That Forsyte Woman, she's so good as Irene and in Mr Chips but I felt she was dreadfully let down in Random Harvest, the climax I was waiting for just fell terribly flat at the end. She's good in Julius Caesar but has very little to do, she looks ravishing though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I meant to mention Julius Caesar in my post, I think she's tremendously good there, it makes me wish she'd been allowed to do more of that type of film.