The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Congratulations Klondike. Being my first name is Joel that makes it special too.

Grandchild No. 9? Wow. You all have been busy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Congrats to the whole Klondike clan!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Congrats, Klonny. You new grandchild's name is very pretty, and sounds rather Native American and eco-friendly to me.

I think C-sections are the norm here in NYC rather than the exception, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that many young people these days are terrified at the idea of pain. (Why do they think a caeserean is pain-free?) Of course, there's also the idea that doctors and hospitals can charge more for birth by surgery rather than the birth the old-fashioned way.

When my daughter was born, 24 years ago, she was the only -- I repeat, the only -- baby in a full nursery who was not a C-section. There was nothing wrong with any of the others babies or their mothers -- they all just thought that non-C-section deliveries were icky. Poor Margo looked like a little misshapen red lobster next to all those big and unwrinkled surgical babies. However, she shook that off soon enough and quickly morphed into the gorgeous creature she remains today. Her mother, on the other hand . . . . . . . .
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:However, she shook that off soon enough and quickly morphed into the gorgeous creature she remains today. Her mother, on the other hand . . . . . . . .
There are two Highland axioms I prefer to lean upon, concerning daughters & sons:

"Mark ye the bounty by how bonnie the bough."
&
"The acorn nae rolls far frae the oak."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm so happy to read that this joyous event has occurred in your loving family, Klon. I know you and Mrs. Klondike are wreathed in smiles just thinking of the presence of this bonny lass in all your lives.
Go n-eiri leat or roughly "may all things rise to you and yours" in gaelic)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Judith:

I was scared to death when the doc told me I had to have a C-sec but he also said the cord was wrapped around my baby's neck and each labor pain pulled it tighter. The nurse calmed me a little when she said all the actresses had their babies by C-sec to save their figures, although I can't see how that could be. I changed docs with my third and he didn't believe in having a normal after a C-sec even though my second had been normal. I do have to admit that planning your entry date to the hospital, is much nicer than rushing while in labor. And recovery is really a lot easier.

What I laugh about today is that with the first one, my best friend, my Mom and my Aunt all came over in shifts to help with the baby, cook dinner, and clean up the house, but with the fourth, my friend took my daughter (she had 3 sons), but my husband had to take off work to stay home with our two boys, so I had no choice but to get home and take over within two days. No body seemed to realize that going home to 3 kids under 5, one still in diapers, and one newborn was going to be a lot harder than 5 years earlier with just one newborn, but there were no lines forming to help out. That's the problem with being a capable person, nobody thinks of you as needing help . . . I had the same thing at work as an executive assistant.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

People do fuss the first time, but by the time you get to your second you're an old hand. Wasn't as fimiliar at changing a boy's nappy, girls are so much easier. At my first few attempts my husband winced at my no nonsense approach. I had to learn to be more delicate :lol:

When I had Libby by C-Section the thinking was that the powers that be wanted to cut down the C-Section deliveries to less than 1 in 5. I remember I was the only one of my friends who didn't manage it as nature intended. Why I should have felt any less worthy I don't know. Perhaps it's because in the delivery suite there were posters up promoting skin to skin contact as soon as baby is born and I didn't get to hold her. I was an hour and a half in surgery and Libby was held by her father, I had to crane my neck to see her. I got her put in bed with me about 4 hours after she was born and I remember the rush of love. I've never felt such a powerful emotion.

Second time, was a normal delivery, I was seen by the consultant who agreed I could try naturally to my relief. I got Joe to hold straight away, only to hand him back after a few minutes because I was so tired but mostly because nobody had cleaned him up. It sounds stupid but I wanted a clean fresh baby.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

So true, Anne.

That old saying about how if you want something done, give it to a busy person is not a compliment, it's a curse.

My experience with having a newborn is that people were all over me during the day trying to "help" (but mostly getting in the way and making too much noise), but there was no one to help out when it was really needed, that is, at night. Margo was colicky for five long, long months. And since my husband was working nights at that time, I was pretty much on a 24-hour schedule for the first year, dealing with daytime company, erratic work hours of husband, and demanding, shrieking infant. And did I mention I went back to work after just five weeks because we needed the money? So I worked all day and walked the floor with Little Miss Colic all night.

My favorite amazing story on that subject was the night I woke up to find myself on the living room sofa, with the TV on, and the baby drinking a warm bottle in my lap. I had absolutely no memory of doing any of the things that would have resulted in that situation -- I did it all in my sleep.

And I'm still a little drowsy.
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:That's the problem with being a capable person, nobody thinks of you as needing help . . . I had the same thing at work as an executive assistant.
Anne
I hear ya, Anne!
That was exactly the assumption that always used to lead to baggers (invariably teens) at the local supermart sizing-up the Mrs. & I as "take-charge types", and immediately booking off, and dumping their work on us!
Now, I don't mind if it's a "10-or-less" deal, but when our cart is chock-a-block full, and we're spending well over a C-note, I expect a little follow-up service.
I used to just stand there defiantly, hands in pocket, and pressure the cashier into bagging after being paid, but that meant more time spent in checkout, and more labor on the cashier.
So one fine, rainy afternoon, with the store beehive-busy, I spotted our cashier's bagger attempting his little sneak-away, and bellered at him at the top o' my lungs: "Where you goin', bag boy? Get your lazy butt back here and do your job!!" His response (with everyone in earshot staring), was a sulky, grumbled blow-off, but as he attempted his escape to the employee breakroom, he found himself headed off by the store's shift manager, a visibly upset & embarrassed middle-aged woman who doubtless realized that her job performance had just been served notice; she herded him back over to my register, and then stood glowering at him as he irately, but carefully, bagged all our groceries . . to loud, numerous, intermittent whistles, clapping & cheers from other shoppers waiting for check-out.
And I can honestly say that I did nothing to exacerbate the situation, or further irritate the shame-faced 16-yr-old . . but I was pretty pleased with myself. :wink:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I think I can safely say that both my son and his wife are busy people! It's the busy ones who don't complain as much! They haven't the time! They are too busy trying to keep their jobs, (my daughter-in-law and myself), start their own companies, (my son) and have a family, to be whining too much. I'm proud of them both and their commitment. The babies are still there at 34 weeks with Mama still working full time to help out. I couldn't ask for a better daughter-in-law, and I make sure she knows it! My only problem is that people now days seem to whine too much and expect the government to pave the way for them. I never would have even thought to ask for help and never did. I think we need to get back to the fundamentals!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

well, here it is,

I just got a phone call telling me that the $10K will be in my account w/i 48 hours, as soon as the folks in Tampa do what ever they're going to do, it's time to start planning in earnest! I can't wait. Keep your fingers crossed, I

As always,

Hollis
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great news Hollis. We'll keep our fingers crossed. :D
charliechaplinfan

Great news Hollis. We want to hear of your plans.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I can't believe something good has finally happened to me! That old insurance policy I didn't even remember having just paid off! They put more than 10K in my bank account this morning. After the people in Tampa do whatever they plan on doing, I can really plan my trip to Europe! First on my list is Alison (charliechaplinfan) and family in Chorley, Lancashire, England. then after touring England a bit, I'll head to Paris where I can hopefully meet Christine (Ann Harding) I want someone with me at the top of the Eiffel Tower so I can turn to them and say "wow! what a view!" I'm not yet over the excitement. Should I use a travel agent to get my airfare? Are they with it? And I'm thinking a back pack to keep my hands free so I can use my camera. I think, based on other folks advice I'll pack as lightly as possible and find a laundromat to us. So many places to go and things to do. I'm sincere when I ask you guys for assistance. I'm Lost, Help!!!!!!

As always,

Hollis
charliechaplinfan

I'm delighted for you Hollis. You'll have to let me know where you want to visit :wink: