MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:44 pm
TikiSoo wrote: March 11th, 2024, 6:32 am
Andree wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:15 pm It's pledge week time in PBS land.
Uh oh.
That means at least one person from my past will email they saw me on TV and are amazed at how great I look!
They never think or realize the show was filmed 25 years ago!
So Tiki, what did you appear in back then?
I think she may have been working the phones???
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:44 pm So Tiki, what did you appear in back then?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL!!!!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:18 am
Dargo wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:44 pm So Tiki, what did you appear in back then?
I remember that special. In fact my family has a copy of it on DVD..... (My parents are both from Pittsburgh, and bought many of the PBS specials, both national ones and Pennsylvania made ones, that the Pittsburgh station made on DVD)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:18 am
I love those old, non-corporate amusement parks.

There was one called Kiddieland in the Chicago suburbs that closed in the 2000s.

Some of the rides were moved to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

So, am I the only one who's gettin' a Sandra Bullock vibe off of Tiki's appearance in that old video here?

(...or is it just me?)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:36 pm I remember that special. In fact my family has a copy of it on DVD..... (My parents are both from Pittsburgh, and bought many of the PBS specials, both national ones and Pennsylvania made ones, that the Pittsburgh station made on DVD)
Cool! I love Rick Sebak and ALL of his specials-he has his finger on what's really important to people that can't be replicated by a mega park or fast food chains. Humanity.

I was often his consultant for projects because my company kept a database of traditional, non corporate/chain Diners, Drive In Theaters & traditional Roadside Attractions- I provided contact info and even which direction the building faced for filming. Of course, now all that info can be found on the infernet. He even made a special on Cemeteries-we definitely were kindred spirits!

The Amusement Park Show was the only one Sebak convinced me to speak on camera. At the time, everyone thought I looked just like Sandra Bullock (even our high school pics look alike!) Sadly, we have aged differently & now I look more like George Washington.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Folks! Folks! THE BEST OF EVERYTHING this evening!!

Do not miss!!

The original Sex and the City!!

The (sob!) lost glamour of 1950's white-gloved New York! Hope Lange, Diane Baker, Suzy Parker as three secretaries looking for love in The Big Apple! Plus -- Joan Crawford as bitchy editor Amanda Farrell!

It doesn't get any better!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It's on TCM? Thanks for the reminder!
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:53 pm Folks! Folks! THE BEST OF EVERYTHING this evening!!

Do not miss!!

The (sob!) lost glamour of 1950's white-gloved New York! Hope Lange, Diane Baker, Suzy Parker as three secretaries looking for love in The Big Apple! Plus -- Joan Crawford as bitchy editor Amanda Farrell!

Yes, a wonderful melodrama, one of the best of its era. It's an irresistible film. Also, speaking of rare TCM films, Lucy Gallant is on later in the night, and that Jane Wyman film is only making it's third appearance in 30 years on the channel (its a Paramount film)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: March 13th, 2024, 6:52 am
The Amusement Park Show was the only one Sebak convinced me to speak on camera. At the time, everyone thought I looked just like Sandra Bullock (even our high school pics look alike!) Sadly, we have aged differently & now I look more like George Washington.
LOL

So Tiki, are we talkin' pre- or post- The French and Indian War here??? Ya know, back when he was fightin' off those Frogs and Injuns, it was said he was a pretty good lookin' guy! ;)

Oh and re Sandra and your resemblance to her...I'll bet if you'd had had as many Botox injections to YOUR face as it looks as if SHE'S had recently, you'd probably still look a hell of lot like how she looks now days too! I say this because the last time her lovely face graced my TV a few months back and while she guested on Colbert's show, I noticed what looked to be her inability to use her facial muscles while expressing herself.

And while watching that, I was reminded of who SHE is beginning to resemble, and so I'll now post the following graphic I found on the internet after Googling what my thought was...

(...the left half being her, and the right half being Michael Jackson after all of his plastic surgery)
Last edited by Dargo on March 13th, 2024, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:50 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:53 pm Folks! Folks! THE BEST OF EVERYTHING this evening!!

Do not miss!!

Yes, a wonderful melodrama, one of the best of its era. It's an irresistible film. Also, speaking of rare TCM films, Lucy Gallant is on later in the night, and that Jane Wyman film is only making it's third appearance in 30 years on the channel (its a Paramount film)
Too bad Joan's big scene was cut!
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:09 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:50 pm

Do not miss!!

Too bad Joan's big scene was cut!
I didn't know that Joan got a scene cut from the film! She so completely dominates the time she has onscreen.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:19 pm It's on TCM? Thanks for the reminder!

Yep, 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time this evening (Wednesday)

As far as I know, all of Joan's scenes are intact!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Besides The Best of Everything on TCM tonight, the rarely shown Lucy Gallant will be on TCM tonight at 12 am. Good cast, Jane Wyman, Charlton Heston, Claire Trevor, Thelma Ritter. Haven't seen this one in a very long time.