I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: February 15th, 2024, 11:28 pm Hey, hey, Paula. I usually watched her show and tried to disregard her as much as possible.
I haven't watched too many of the Playboy series as I figured they would all have a similar
plot. There are still a few good shows that turn up. People Magazine Investigates often has
interesting stories.
Yes, but I think People is on hiatus now. They had a new 2 parter Monsters In Law show last night. But I'd seen the case before on another show, so I didn't watch.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:36 am
Andree wrote: February 15th, 2024, 11:28 pm Hey, hey, Paula. I usually watched her show and tried to disregard her as much as possible.
I haven't watched too many of the Playboy series as I figured they would all have a similar
plot. There are still a few good shows that turn up. People Magazine Investigates often has
interesting stories.
Yes, but I think People is on hiatus now. They had a new 2 parter Monsters In Law show last night. But I'd seen the case before on another show, so I didn't watch.
It could be. I thought I saw an episode last week, but it might have been a rerun. I did watch the two hour
Monsters In Law show. It sounded kind of sleazy, but it was pretty good. I don't recall that specific case. A
whole family of psycho nut jobs, even grandma. Felt sorry for the woman who was killed by grandpa. Another
kook.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Good Dame (1934), featuring Frederic March as a 3-card monte dealer and Sylvia Sidney as a fired chorus girl trying to get back to relatives in Chicago. At first it seems like yet another proto-noir, but then Sidney's struggles to maintain her decency among predatory males becomes almost comic. (Even though she clearly would like to play house with March.) I ascribe this dissonance to the multiple writers (4 credited and who knows how many behind the scenes). On YouTube as of last night, unless the copyright cops have struck.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 15th, 2024, 4:26 pm
Comedy GOLD!!! I'd forgotten I'd seen that awful film [BILLY THE KID MEETS DRACULA] on Svengoolie. John Carradine must've really been short of cash!
I think JOHN CARRADINE stayed short of cash.
(makes "drinky-drinky" hand motion)

(it's actually one of his better late career films- HONESTLY)
Last edited by Lorna on February 17th, 2024, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:36 am
interesting stories.
1. every time I hear the name "PAULA" i think of the way CHARLES BOYER says it in GASLIGHT (in both the accent and the deeply patronizing tone) and I say it that way to myself. let's all hope PAULA ZAHN gets someone deeply manipulative and evil in her life who can hide her s*** and blame her for it and make her think she's losing her mind.

2. besides FEAR THY NEIGHBOR I have stayed away from ID DISCOVERY's recent programming. I don't like the sensationalistic tone they have taken and I haaaate some of the Z-List hosts. ALSO ALSO I have developed a PASSIONATE HATRED FOR COMMERCIALS, so I've really stayed away from almost everything that has commersials because I SERIOUSLY MEAN THIS: I am going to have a RAGE STROKE or SMASH THE SCREEN the next time a STATE FARM AD comes on.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

"Paul-uh, Paul-UH, Paaaauluuuuuuuuuh....."
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

SORRY. I'm extra salty, AMAZON PRIME has had the effin GALL to start showing COMMERcIALS and it's INTERRUPTIN MY MURDER, SHE WROTE WATCHIN'.

(The Older I get, the more and more I understand- and even FULLY SUPPORT- ELVIS'S decision to shoot out the TV.)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

So, I noticed that GOSFORD PARK (2002) was playing on that certain cable network.

[things get a little spoilerishy)

I saw this when it came out and LOVED IT, not one to rewatch films, I think this is the first I've seen it in 21 years, but Lord Knows I have been wrong before, I had forgotten quite a lot about it...

Like how MARVELOUS EMILY WATSON is in what borders on a LEADING ROLE- I don't always like her, but DAMN she is a STAR in this film, and I had forgotten how ABSOLUTELY EPIC the scene is where she accidentally reveals at a formal dinner that she is sleeping with The Lord of the Manor.

I had forgotten how great the songs are- especially THE LAND OF MIGHT HAVE-BEEN.

I had forgotten how AMAZING THE SOUND EFFECTS IN THIS MOVIE ARE- the RAIN in the night, the sound of music from another room, the overlapping dialogue- just some ACE SOUND EFFECTS.

I had also forgotten how THE CAMERA is almost always MOVING everso slightly to the side in this film, like the steering wheel on a car that is really, really out-of-alignment- but I mean that as a compliment.

I had forgotten ALAN BATES was in this, and that he's really really good although damn, he looks a little rough.

MICHAEL GAMBON is such a s*** in this, love him.

even some of the performances and roles that seem weak or superflous at first start to make sense as the film moves on.

This is one of the best films of the 21st century- really, left quite a mark in that it elevated MAGGIE SMITH and most especially HELEN MIRREN to next level status- the latter is one of the BEST EXAMPLES what makes a GREAT SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE- (see also: VIOLA DAVIS in DOUBT) where a performer sits much of the movie out, and then they get THEIR SCENE and DAMN, the CHEW THAT BONE TO THE MARROW and it is AMAZING. She is SO MOVING in this film, with the help of the actress who plays THE COOK whose name I am too lazy to imdb right now and I am sorry.
Last edited by Lorna on February 18th, 2024, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I have a sneaking suspicion SIR JULIAN FELLOWS might not be the nicest person in the world, but DAMN he knows how to write a script.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

EILEEN ATKINS in the actress who plays THE COOK and shares a major part in the finale:

(sorry for not imdbing her mid-review)

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: February 18th, 2024, 1:07 pm So, I noticed that GOSFORD PARK (2002) was playing on that certain cable network.

... the overlapping dialogue- just some ACE SOUND EFFECTS.

I had also forgotten how THE CAMERA is almost always MOVING everso slightly to the side in this film, like the steering wheel on a car that is really, really out-of-alignment- but I mean that as a compliment. ..
Sounds like a ROBERT ALTMAN film...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: February 18th, 2024, 1:43 pm Sounds like a ROBERT ALTMAN film...
sadly, no SHELLEY DUVALL though.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

** I should probably amend my above review to note MAGGIE SMITH and HELEN MIRREN had both been around and successful for a looooong time before their roles in this film, and both had been nominated for Academy Awards (SMITH winning 2) , but this film introduced them to a whole new generation of film goers on a very wide level- and the character Maggie Smith plays in this movie went on to basically become the same character in DOWNTON ABBEY who has become an ICON
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

^ I saw GOSFORD PARK when new also and liked it. I caught some of it on one of those HBO channels we're getting free which was how I remembered it's ROBERT ALTMAN. That's also how I got to see GRAN TORINO which I've looked at at least 3 times (beautiful).