*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by JackFavell »

ACK!!!!!

I may be sick... I'm sorry, I'm just not a Chuck fan.

Thanks for the info on the lovely Delores, Lovely Moira!
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:
JackFavell wrote:Wow! Delores Moran is a knockout! Who is she?
. . playing a beauteous French freedom fighter, was supposed to be getting the big Warner Brothers build-up during the making of To Have and To Have Not, but we all know what happened during that movie. Regarding the stunningly beautiful Dolores' role-playing as the French resistance leader's wife...
Somehow, I don't think that Dolores had to do much heavy lifting after leaving the silver screen. .
Moira, O Winged Nike of Remembrence, do forgive me for tatting your preceding post in to a disparate doily, but all the remarks above, which I purloined, reminded me repeatedly of the one memorable Moran contribution from TH&HN:
Remember when she faints during Bogie's bullet extraction scene, and then, after gallantly hoisting her sirenesque mass, he carries her out to the main room of the cellar? He pauses to gaze down appreciatively at her, as Slim Betty Bacall catfoots through the doorway behind him and in a feline drawl inquires: "Whatta ya doin', guessing her weight?"
The miniscule shadow of a smile that is HB's only true response speaks volumes of real craft, for he & for Mr. Hawks . . and as for the less-than-remarkable Dolores, all I can offer is that sometimes a player's best function is as a fulcrum, rather than a blazing torch.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You're very welcome, JF. Boy, Klon, maybe funny comments like that were what drove Dolores Moran to change her vocation from "dazzling starlet" to "married lady".

Aw, Heston wasn't so bad back in the day...when he was chasing fire ants, wondering at those who had "sawdust in their veins" and parting the Red Sea...still, I think I saw quite enough of the Chuckster's birthday suit in Planet of the Apes, thank you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

What I want to know is -- what's he wearing?? Was he trying on a gorilla costume from Planet of the Apes? And it's all wet and matter, too. EEEEEWWWWWW!

Now I understand Anne Baxter's anecdote about why they shaved Heston's chest in Ten Commandments. She said when the early dailies were viewed, in one scene she and Heston were embracing, and all you could see of her were two little eyes peepng out from a forest of chest hair. The next day he showed up for work as smooth as an Olympic swimmer.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Whippersnappers Rita Hayworth & Tony Martin strolling at the studio
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JANUARY 28th. BIRTHDAYS

MARTHE KELLER is 65 today

ALAN ALDA is 74 today

LILA LEEDS (1928 - 1999)

TOM NEAL (1914 - 1972)

ERNST LUBITSCH (1892 - 1947)

SAM McDANIEL (1886 - 1962)

MARY BOLAND (1882 - 1965)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I think Bette Davis' greatest act of rebellion in Hollywood was her persistent refusal to wear a bra. And I think she was wrong on that one.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Ah, Mary Boland, a favorite.

"Get me a bromide............and put some gin in it."

If it were not Project Runway tonight, I would so be watching The Women.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:I think Bette Davis' greatest act of rebellion in Hollywood was her persistent refusal to wear a bra. And I think she was wrong on that one.
Perhaps she was too busy critiquing Barb Stanwyck's derriere to go shopping. :roll:
feaito

Post by feaito »

klondike wrote:
jdb1 wrote:I think Bette Davis' greatest act of rebellion in Hollywood was her persistent refusal to wear a bra. And I think she was wrong on that one.
Perhaps she was too busy critiquing Barb Stanwyck's derriere to go shopping. :roll:
But she once praised Stanwyck when she stated: "I certainly agree with all those who find more sex appeal in Barbara Stanwyck and her ankle bracelet in Double Indemnity ('44) than in all these naked bodies rolling around on the screen today.-"
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gregory Peck tobacco inspector?

Joseph Goodheart
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

mongoII wrote:Rugged actor Charlton Heston in almost all his glory
I have a photo of Yul Brynner in all his glory. :o I could post it if it would be all right with Joe and the moderators.

I think it's tastefully done, an artistic composition.

What do you all think of posting it?
klondike

Post by klondike »

PM the pic to me, PT.
If at all workable, I'll green-light it for somewhere. :mrgreen:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

PT. I came across frontal nude pics of Yul Brynner, Burt Lancaster, Bruce Cabot etc. and some actresses and decided not to use them.
Joseph Goodheart