Carole Lombard October Star of the Month

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

moirafinnie wrote:I don't know if this is entirely accurate, but having seen Tonight is Ours, it seems to reflect Leisen's signature style.
That's interesting Moira! I am going to see Tonight is Ours next Sunday at the Cinémathèque and I'll certainly let you know what I think of it. :wink:
drednm

Post by drednm »

actually I thought Lyle Talbot was very good as the drunken doctor in MANDALAY with Kay Francis and Ricardo Cortez.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Drednm,
I was just being a bit too facetious about Lyle Talbot. I liked him in Mandalay too, and thought that he was at his best in movies with Kay Francis in those early years at Warners...even if he did lure Kay into the black fever country to redeem both their souls at the end of that movie. I guess there is something about Talbot that always seemed a bit pleased with himself during that period, but I'll try not to hold his lack of self-doubt and self-recrimination against him in the future when I encounter his performances.

Btw, did you know that he helped to found the Screen Actors Guild?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
drednm

Post by drednm »

just watched NO MORE ORCHIDS and liked Lyle Talbot in this one too.... usually he's just sorta dull but yes he was good in early films with Carole Lombard and Kay Francis... but WHAT AN ENDING! yikes
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Virtue, 1932 from Miss Lombard's selections was a special treat. I especially enjoyed Mayo Methot's role as Lil Blair who has one of the best lines from this pre-code gem, "They don't bury their dead...just let 'em walk around."

Mr. Osborne noted her appearance in this movie in his introduction and mentioned her turbulent marriage to Bogart, which came at the end of her career. I usually thought of her in a 40's context with him, but her movie career was more pre-code than not.

I noticed she was mentioned in the on-screen credits for We're in the Money, 1935, but when I looked it up on imdb, it lists her as scenes deleted. Interesting.