Credit

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Credit

Post by movieman1957 »

Germany declared war on the US Dec. 11 1941. (History.com)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:Germany declared war on the US Dec. 11 1941. (History.com)

. . the bast*rds!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Holy Almanac, Batman... according to an almanac (I mean, I hafta believe THAT tells the truth, nuthin' but the truth, etc.)... the US "immediately reciprocated" in declaring war on Germany and Italy Dec 11th.

Of course, there still remains no firm date to indicate what "immediately reciprocated" means. Knowing politicians, Washington and the ability to fly Bin Laden family members home in comfort, who knows!

I have understood that there were funds flowing from the US into German coffers well into 1942. I think William Shirer was writing about that oddity, probably bending some banker noses outta joint because of that.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm not sure about the transferred funds business, but I am pretty confident that FDR would not have had Air Force One fly Hiro-hito around the U.S. collecting his family and flying them home to Japan in comfort and style, in time to be home for Christmas or whatever.

Klondike: The sinking of the Lusitania was in 1915 and was one of the factors that kicked off WWI, not WWII.

As for credit cards, someone asked about those pre-paid ones. Actually, I think if that had been the way all credit cards were handled, it would have been a major improvement in our economy. Even with limits of $5,000.00, people would have had to use a little more sense when using them. The fact that some people can buy cars and boats with credit cards absolutely blows my mind, especially when I can't get a stupid $40.00 cell phone, because when my name is pulled up, I don't owe anybody, anything and some moron thinks that's a bad thing!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:
Klondike: The sinking of the Lusitania was in 1915 and was one of the factors that kicked off WWI, not WWII.

Anne
I knew I nodded off one of those afternoons, during History!
Thanks for the correction, Annie!
Hmmmm - :roll: . . but, ya know, I was almost positive that I recalled reading about one particular pivotal torpedo attack that launched American ground forces full-scale into the European Theatre conflict in '42 . .
Can anybody help me out here?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

Are you thinking of the attack on the Lexington maybe? I don't know much, just what I recall from my uncle talking about it when I was little -- a hundred years ago.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

klondike wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:Germany declared war on the US Dec. 11 1941. (History.com)

. . the bast*rds!
They beat you too it :shock: :shock: :)

A few years ago when we were both working full time we used to get deluged with offers, offering us £10k per card, we reckoned we could have left the country with 100k, we would never have been able to come home but would anyone have chased us for the money? I'm not sure.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I think there were sinkings of passenger liners at the end of '39 and first half of '40 that set up the US to conduct search-and-destroy missions against U-boats. Donitz originally had his U-boats challenged neutral ships in a zone around British waters, and then he starts sinking any ship in those waters, regardless of their flag. I didn't look up dates and names of sunk ships, though... one of these evenings, I'll run across that book again.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I don't remember the name of the ship but one with 96 children who were on their way to Canada to escape the Blitz was sunk by a U-boat. Only seven survived. This came from the survivor in a documentary I saw recently about England during the Blitz.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Alison,

I haven't been active here for the last couple of weeks, but it sure is good to see that you're in much better spirits than you were the last time I tread these hallowed halls. If I recall correctly, after Germany declared war on the US and the US reciprocated, all transfers of assets to the non Allied nations were halted immediately. Even though Henry Ford was an avowed anti-Semite, the dollars rolling in to the Ford Motor Company for supplying the armed forces with various weapons of war were apparently far more important to him than his hatred of the Semitic peoples. As sick an individual as he was, and I don't mean the state of his health, the all important dollar was of paramount importance to him. I doubt seriously that he would have jeopardized the influx of capital to his coffers by attempting to redirect any of it overseas. Had he been caught doing so, General Motors, Willys, Kaiser and the like would have been happy to pick up the slack.

Again, I'm very gratified that you're feeling so much better. It does this old boy's heart good. Please convey my best wishes to Chris, Libby and Joe.

Fondly,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I'll never cease being amazed at how many people aren't aware of the old Chinese adage that goes "Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." I'm very happy that the vast majority of our membership pays heed to it.

Glad to be back,

Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Gosh Hollis:

I wonder if the guys that head the auto companies today are related to those you were talking about that were in charge at the beginning of WWII? Seems like . . . sins of the fathers. . .

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Dear Hollis, it's good to have you back on the board. I've kept posting don't you worry. Have lost my voice completely today, so I'm driving everyone at home mad with gestures :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Anne,

It's good to hear from you. I hope you're doing well and feeling the same way. I'll try to answer your question as best I can. The Porsche marque is a publicly traded corporation but the Porsche family has a controlling interest in it. The family also has a controlling interest in Volkswagen AG, the largest automobile manufacturer in Europe. The company existed long before the Second World War and was founded by Dr Ferdinand Porsche who designed the original VW Beetle. There were several versions of the car that were used by the German army during the war. Mercedes Benz vehicles were widely used by the German armed forces during the war with special armored vehicles used by Hitler and his staff. At that time the company was owned primarily by the Daimler and Benz families. Today no one entity holds a controlling interest in the firm and its stock is openly traded on several exchanges. BMW built aircraft engines during the war even though they were outlawed by terms of the Treaty of Versailles. It apparently has always been a publicly traded firm with no one that I can find holding a majority or controlling interest. The Audi company was founded by August Horch in 1899 but he was forced out in 1909. The company produced primarily family type vehicles and race cars. As far as I've been able to determine, its activities were basically suspended during both World Wars. It's now a part of the Volkswagen group, and consequently is part of the stock that's traded openly on European markets. So it seems that descendants of the Porsche family still hold sway over the company's activities. Of course, as was the case here in the States, the automobile industry stopped producing cars for sale to the public during the War years.In Germany, they built what the Nazi party told them to build. This is basically a thumbnail sketch and I'm open to correction, but I think I have the gist of it correct. I hope it helps.

As always, Hollis

P.S. Alison, go easy on the old one fingered salute! Especially in front of the kids!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Have lost my voice completely today, so I'm driving everyone at home mad with gestures
Listen to your inner Chaplin and pantomime. Carry around a portable radio to supply the appropriate music, and maybe a chalk board when "titles" are necessary. (Hope you feel better.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS