MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

I saw Witchfinder General on YT a number of years ago. I suppose it was a little more graphic than was usual for
horror films of the time, but nothing too out there and besides it's only a movie. I like The Blood on Satan's Claw
better. It's more subtle and spookier than WG.

While God has the attribute of perfection, his supposed creation, humans, do not. They are sinful and imperfect
and tend toward bad and violent deeds, like......Cromwell for instance. Then there's also the devil, who is supposedly
constantly tempting God's chillin to evil deeds. So the rather simplistic division of good and evil deeds has always been
right there in Christianity, it's really one of its basic themes--the goodness of God versus the sinfulness of man, conveniently
leaving out areas of gray. :smiley_devil:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Andree wrote: February 26th, 2023, 11:03 pm I saw Witchfinder General on YT a number of years ago. I suppose it was a little more graphic than was usual for
horror films of the time, but nothing too out there and besides it's only a movie. I like The Blood on Satan's Claw
better. It's more subtle and spookier than WG.

While God has the attribute of perfection, his supposed creation, humans, do not. They are sinful and imperfect
and tend toward bad and violent deeds, like......Cromwell for instance. Then there's also the devil, who is supposedly
constantly tempting God's chillin to evil deeds. So the rather simplistic division of good and evil deeds has always been
right there in Christianity, it's really one of its basic themes--the goodness of God versus the sinfulness of man, conveniently
leaving out areas of gray. :smiley_devil:
I love the Blood on Satan's Claw (that sounds odd). It's more about the supernatural, where as Witchfinder General is more about man's inhumanity to man. As I've said, I prefer the UK print of Witchfinder, due largely to the music, but there is a point to Price's reading the Poe poem over the final credits in the U.S. print, particularly the closing line "That the play is the tragedy, “Man,” And its hero, the Conqueror Worm."

The Blood on Satan's Claw has one of the most brutal and terrifying scenes ever: the surrogate rape scene, with the demon and ensemble looking on. Sort of an "homage" to Rosemary''s Baby, perhaps.

At any rate, two fine films from Tigon, featuring evil in the beautiful English countryside. Patrick Wymark has a supporting role in both films: as Oliver Cromwell in one; as the Judge in the other.

If you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel of this sub-genre, there is Disciple of Death (1972), which at least has a wild and crazy scene featuring Nick Amer as a Cabalist.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

laffite wrote: February 26th, 2023, 6:16 pm Haneke is the most sadistic director ever, I'm sure of it. His primary victim is his audience.
That's exactly my opinion of Mario Bava films.
laffite

Post by laffite »

TikiSoo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 7:45 am
laffite wrote: February 26th, 2023, 6:16 pm Haneke is the most sadistic director ever, I'm sure of it. His primary victim is his audience.
That's exactly my opinion of Mario Bava films.
Never had the displeasure.
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: February 25th, 2023, 10:59 pm
Ian Ogilvy and Hilary Dwyer in Witchfinder General

Ian Ogilivy also played Lawrence Kirbridge on UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS.
The character was the husband of Elizabeth Bellamy.
He would not have sexual relations with her so her child was fathered by another man.

Andree

Post by Andree »

Swithin wrote: February 26th, 2023, 11:33 pm

I love the Blood on Satan's Claw (that sounds odd). It's more about the supernatural, where as Witchfinder General is more about man's inhumanity to man. As I've said, I prefer the UK print of Witchfinder, due largely to the music, but there is a point to Price's reading the Poe poem over the final credits in the U.S. print, particularly the closing line "That the play is the tragedy, “Man,” And its hero, the Conqueror Worm."

The Blood on Satan's Claw has one of the most brutal and terrifying scenes ever: the surrogate rape scene, with the demon and ensemble looking on. Sort of an "homage" to Rosemary''s Baby, perhaps.

At any rate, two fine films from Tigon, featuring evil in the beautiful English countryside. Patrick Wymark has a supporting role in both films: as Oliver Cromwell in one; as the Judge in the other.

If you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel of this sub-genre, there is Disciple of Death (1972), which at least has a wild and crazy scene featuring Nick Amer as a Cabalist.

Quite an over the top title, though it must have been good for the box office receipts, and if someone is looking for
blood, Satan's claw would be a good place to start. It has more of an eerie atmosphere than WG, which is basically
about a man demonstrating his power and getting some sadistic kicks as he travels the English countryside. There
are often a few good films made in a subgenre, and after that it's hard to come up with something original.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Bela was already dead when Ed Wood's masterpiece came out in theatres.

I wonder if we will start seeing hubcap flying saucers soon hovering over Montana.

Tor Johnson loved the ladies.

As far as I know, Lyle Talbot is still alive.

Truffaut's DAY FOR NIGHT has nothing on PLAN 9.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on March 1st, 2023, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

There is a YouTube video of Criswell (not the scenes in PLAN 9) making the most....interesting predictions.

Hi, Rich! Wonderful to see you here! I was channel surfing and landed on EXORCIST III -- from what I saw I really enjoyed George C. Scott and Ed Flanders. They had some sharp dialogue. Unfortunately (due to a heavy dinner) I fell asleep halfway through but I'm hoping ScreenPix runs it again.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lyle has been dead for quite some time. (!996).
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

You're right, Hibi. I was probably confused by Lyle's TCM interview, lol.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:39 pm You're right, Hibi. I was probably confused by Lyle's TCM interview, lol.
Hey Bronxie! Just so you'll ALSO know here, Jimmy Dean has been dead for quite some time now too. That good ol' boy kicked the bucket in 2010.

(...and even though you still hear him hawkin' his sausages on TV now days as well)

;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

:smiley_worship: :smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_chinrub: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_cheer: :headbang:
Last edited by Andree on March 1st, 2023, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 1st, 2023, 1:34 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:39 pm You're right, Hibi. I was probably confused by Lyle's TCM interview, lol.
Hey Bronxie! Just so you'll ALSO know here, Jimmy Dean has been dead for quite some time now too. That good ol' boy kicked the bucket in 2010.

(...and even though you still hear him hawkin' his sausages on TV now days as well)

;)

LOL. Those commercials are so creepy. I thought he had died years ago and I was right!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lyle lived to be 94, but you can't live forever!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 1:44 am Bela was already dead when Ed Wood's masterpiece came out in theatres.

I wonder if we will start seeing hubcap flying saucers soon hovering over Montana.

Tor Johnson loved the ladies.

As far as I know, Lyle Talbot is still alive.

Truffaut's DAY FOR NIGHT has nothing on PLAN 9.

Wasn't Plan 9 held up for a while before its release in 1959? Not that it matters all that much. I liked the flying saucer finale.
Looked like two glued together pie tins on fire.

Yes, but did the ladies love Tor? Tor Johnson, the one who got away from both Ingrid & Ingmar.

Lyle Talbot is a soothing influence due to his Leave It to Beaver connection. You can relax and know the Earth is not
really in trouble because good ol' Lyle is on the job.

Day for Night was on a little too late for me. I've seen it before a few times. It's okay. Fassbinder made a similar film
about the trials of a movie director, Beware of a Holy Whore. Not one of his best IMO.