your favorite romantic movies

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: your favorite romantic movies

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Note to self, I must watch My Man Godfrey again soon and I will watch The Enchanted Cottage at the next available uninterrupted viewing slot available. So often films have to be watched in chunks but this is waiting to be watched as a whole and I can't wait.

I've just rewatched Un Homme et Une Femme, I just love the movie and it doesn't pale on second viewing.

Wendy I love your list, so many are my favorites, I thought about putting Flesh and the Devil in there but couldn't decide whether it was a romance or not. It's one of my favorite silents.

I never added The Immigrant my favorite Chaplin short.

The Young Victoria a real love story, I think doing the true story and characters justice.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Immigrant is a good one - Chaplin and Edna were really, to me anyway, the perfect pair. She seems so easygoing and beautiful, natural with him.
charliechaplinfan

I love all their pairings, I think they did love each other and it comes across on screen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Some more

The 39 Steps
Back Street
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Notorious - how did I miss that?

Are all romantic movies, I hesitate with this word but it seems the best one, sexy or perhaps sensual is better? Or can some just be romantic and some just sexy? I know some are more romantic than sexy and some more sexy than romantic plus the interpretation is personal to each of us. The sexy ones aren't always the most modern, in fact for me they are rarely are. These for me, a few of those sexy moments that stick in my mind.

Une Homme Et Une Femme - all the way through
Hold back the Dawn - first when Olivia beds down in the back of the school bus and then when she goes swimming in the ocean whilst Charles just watches.
Notorious - the scene with the telephone
Wild River - the whole realtionship between Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick.
Mayerling - especially when Marie comes back to Vienna to find Rudolf drunk and in no fit condition to receive her

that's just the start.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think there are movies that are romantic, then there are ones that are sexy, and then there are romantic sexy movies.

I find Midnight romantic, and yet, all "Baron and Baroness Tibor" do is fight. It all hinges on those few scenes at the beginning where they have a decided attraction to each other, and it's lovely, very sexy, I think. But then there is Francis Lederer.... 8) 8) 8) and he's really sexy. He is wonderful to look at, and you almost feel sorry for him at the end, but then he shrugs and is off to find a new "pastime".
charliechaplinfan

I've yet to watch Midnight, I've heard many good things about it.

There are some romantic films that are strictly romantic, like Brief Encounter and An Affair to Remember, I just like to get washed away with the sheer romance of those movies.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, I just heard an advertisement for a tv movie coming up this weekend, about a woman who has 3 men asking her to marry. She is talking with a friend about her "dilemma" and her 'friend' snarls "You want Richard Gere to climb up the balcony for you!". She replies, "I'd have to be a hooker to have THAT work for me"....
charliechaplinfan

Well, for Richard Gere it might be worth it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There are some romantic films that are strictly romantic, like Brief Encounter and An Affair to Remember, I just like to get washed away with the sheer romance of those movies.
I do too - Brief Encounter and Summertime are those heartstopping ones that just make me weep. No one does sheer romance and heartbreak like David Lean.
charliechaplinfan

Summertime and Brief Enocunter, my favorite Lean films.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did anyone mention Intermezzo or Pygmalion? (GBS would have an apoplectic fit if he heard me term his play a romantic one). I love the movie and think that the Leslie Howard/Anthony Asquith ending is terribly romantic and much more satisfying than GBS' coldhearted version.