The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by movieman1957 »

Klondike:

When my bride and I announced to my parents that we were going to get married my mother, and I love her, told Carolann that she had a no return policy. Luckily they have never needed anything that would require me to use the talents you possess that have somehow eluded me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Give my love to La Belle France, Alison! I will be enjoying the thought of your visit vicariously. April in Paris, eh? You know how to live, kid.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

After all the horrible news about what is being done to the earth lately, here's some really good news from arborists! The giant redwoods are being cloned, and may be able to be grown all over again. The group's mission is simple, if grandiose: to reforest the land with a variety of the most interesting tree species from around the world, and by extension, halt and reverse climate change

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This is so cool Moria :!: I would definitely support it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A bit of good news for the kids. They'd written to David Cameron when he got a new cat for Downing Street (the last cat disappearing during Tony Blair's tenure and the mice moved back in) Well, the new cat, Larry, looks like our departed beloved bagpuss, Fred. So the kids wrote to the Primeminister, wishing Larry well and telling the Primeminister how to look after a cat and they got a reply from his secretary. They're very pleased.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:A bit of good news for the kids. They'd written to David Cameron when he got a new cat for Downing Street (the last cat disappearing during Tony Blair's tenure and the mice moved back in) Well, the new cat, Larry, looks like our departed beloved bagpuss, Fred. So the kids wrote to the Primeminister, wishing Larry well and telling the Primeminister how to look after a cat and they got a reply from his secretary. They're very pleased.
Replying to letters like that is very good public relations, (and rather endearing). I think the cat (and dog) lovers vote might be more significant than pollsters know.
Above: Larry the Cat moving into 10 Downing Street and getting ready to clean things up. Btw, that photo is not Larry's actual size.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

A wonderful picture of Larry, Moira. He's so like Fred, apart from a slight smudge on his nose. Larry was from a rescue centre and chosen by the Prime Minister himself. It's a good news story and replying to the kids is a lovely thing to do. Joe thinks David Cameron is wonderful, he met him when he was a very small child, he doesn't remember but the fact he met him is enough. He was 18 months old and it was when David Cameron was leader of the opposition, he came to my home town because he had made rather large gains, this was completely unplanned and there was I wandering around town, turned a corner and practically walked straight into David Cameron. Joe was never a child to sit up straight if he could hang out of one side of the pram, he caught David Cameron's eye straight away and he turned away from what he was doing to talk to us, he was very charming.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

We're packed and reading to go to Bavaria tomorrow. We'll be staying away for 2 weeks and staying in 2 different towns. The kids are excited because they'll get chance to go to Austria and perhaps Switzerland and Leichtenstein too. It's all about ticking off countries for them. Joe will be visiting the BMW museum for his birthday, he's mad about cars. I can feel the pull of Dachau, not very far away, I feel we should to go and give the kids another view of history. Fresh air and mountains here I come.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You go to the coolest places. I spent last weekend in Tennessee. It was great to see family but it was Tennessee. I have no life. :)
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Have fun, CCF.

We just finalized plans today for Prague-Vienna-Budapest during the first two weeks of September.

Beer, pastries and heart-healthy food, here I come!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Tennessee, huh? I don't even get out of the state of Kansas!!!!!

Alison, have a wonderful trip, take lots of pictures and if you can figure out a way to send some of that cool mountain air to me.....DO IT!!!!! :lol: :lol:

O, DITTO!!!!!!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

We have to get out more. When "The Bride" was younger they would drive to Colorado from DC. She said the trip was at its longest going across KS. The only time they got to enjoy it is when they saw the sign for Caruso, KS. They only stopped at Stuckey's and then maybe if someone had to go to the bathroom.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

believe it or not, the trip across Kansas is actually, in my eyes, beautiful. The Flint Hills around Manhattan, Kansas, home of the WILDCATS, and then the slow, steady climb, thru 'waving fields of grain'. God Bless America, my home sweet home. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

North East TN. Johnson City in particular. There are lovely low rolling mountains. We don't often get down into the Smokies area. We're not far away but just far enough.
Chris