Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by movieman1957 »

I thought "The Party" was a riot. Edwards certainly ran the gamut of genres and seemed to do them all equally well. Is there a more 1960s looking film?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Really sad also to hear about Edwards' death. :( I loved The Party, Victor, Victoria and have fond memories of SOB and Mister Cory with a youthful Tony Curtis. RIP.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Not to eclipse Mr. Edwards with faint praise, but it must be considered that not every man of his acclaim could woo & wed Mary Poppins, and then cast her in a film which revealed her topless attributes to a dumbstruck world!
Hmmm . . neither elan nor panache nor bon mot would work to describe such a strategem, but I'm sure the French have a word or phrase for it somewhere . . :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

RIP Blake Edwards, very sad news indeed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Blake Edwards was one of my favorite more "contemporary" directors; "The Party" (1968) is a Cult movie for me, that has to be revisited periodically...the histerically funny Peter Sellers with all the chaos he causes at the Party....Birdie Birdie Num, Num....and the lovely, classy and feminine Claudine Longet singing "Nothing To Lose".... I love her looks & voice a-la-Astrud-Gilberto. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961) one of the grandest dramas ever with Audrey Hepburn at her peak! And Pat Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Mickey Rooney and George Peppard at their very best. And "The Pink Panther" (1964), another perennial favorite. In all this films Blake Edwards worked with the great Henry Mancini, whose scores for these films are awesomely elegant, classy, unforgettable! Three of my most cherished Soundtracks on CD! These films are a pure Class Act. Edwards & Mancini, one of the greatest partnerships ever....as Körngold with Warner Bros.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Actress Neva Patterson has died:

From the LA Times:

Neva Patterson, a character actress who portrayed Cary Grant's fiancee in the 1957 movie "An Affair to Remember" in a career that spanned six decades and more than 100 film and TV roles, has died. She was 90.

Patterson died Tuesday at her Brentwood home of complications from a broken hip, said her daughter, Megan Lee.

The actress was a veteran of Broadway when she was cast as Lois, the socialite who would not make it to the altar with Grant in "An Affair to Remember."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, we were literally just talking about Desk Set yesterday, and as ALWAYS I thought of Neva Patterson's meltdown as Miss Warriner, EMERAC's caretaker. She was funny, so serious and uppity, then turning hysterically neurotic, in one of the best parts of the movie. I truly LOVE her performance here and in so many other films.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

TCM has announced that their December 27th Schedule is being revised in Tribute to Blake Edwards (All times shown are ET). You can see more about this here.

8:00 PM Breakfast at Tiffany's
10:00 PM The Days of Wine and Roses
12:00 AM The Pink Panther
2:00 AM Victor/Victoria
4:30 AM Operation Petticoat
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Very sad to hear of Neva Patterson's death.
She was one of several ladies who went into movies and only had a short run in small roles; her friend Joan Copeland was another. They were actresses in NYC together and very good friends for years...

Joan is a long time friend of mine and I phoned her today to offer my condolences...

R.I.P. Miss Patterson...

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

'Barney Miller' star Landesberg dies at age 65

Actor died Monday after a battle with cancer, TMZ reports

LOS ANGELES — Actor Steve Landesberg, a former stand-up comedian who starred for years on the hit television sitcom "Barney Miller," has died at age 65, his agent said on Monday.

"It is with great sadness to report the loss of my friend and client Steve Landesberg," Jeffrey Leavitt of Leavitt Talent Group said in a statement.

More Entertainment highlights Getty Images 'Barney Miller' star Landesberg dies at age 65
"It is with great sadness to report the loss of my friend and client Steve Landesberg," Jeffrey Leavitt of Leavitt Talent Group said in a statement.

Born Nov. 23, 1945 in New York City, Landesberg began his career as a stand-up comedian and was a contemporary of top 1970s draws such as Freddie Prinze and Jimmy Walker.

He landed the role of Det. Arthur Dietrich on "Barney Miller" in 1975, and stayed with the show about New York cops until it ended in 1982.

Landesberg went on to work in a variety of TV and movie roles, including the series "Cosby" and "The Ghost Whisperer," and the hit 2008 movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."

"Working with Steve was an honor both personally and professionally. My heart goes out to his family. He will be missed," Leavitt said.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I remember him on Carson one night and he was talking about the high suicide rate in Sweden. In a Swedish accent he talked about a man coming home from word "What's for supper? Broccoli? No!" and put his finger to the side of his head.

Morbid and much funnier when seen I found it odd that I remember that 35 years later. I don't know whether it says more about him or me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

TCM has announced that their December 27th Schedule is being revised in Tribute to Blake Edwards (All times shown are ET). You can see more about this here.

08:00 PM Breakfast at Tiffany's
10:00 PM The Days of Wine and Roses
12:00 AM The Pink Panther
02:00 AM Victor/Victoria
04:30 AM Operation Petticoat - << ( MoiraFinnie ) >>

Sad news of his passing. I've enjoyed his films. TCM changed their schedule in his honor?? Ohhhh, there'll be the nashing of teeth about the change over at the other site from the usual suspects.

Comedy - drama - farce. RIP Blake Edwards.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Theresa,

With all the nashing of teeth over there, it's any wonder there's any teeth left and finding it hard to eat their 'crispy crunches'.....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I remember that routine! Landesberg had the driest delivery of any modern comedian I have ever seen. Incredible to think he is gone, a real shock. It's time to go back and watch some reruns of Barney Miller. snif.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As I recall (and that's reeeaallly an issue these days), it was The Paul Sand Show, which lasted one season during the Saturday night run of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart and The Carol Burnett Show lineup that introduced me to Steve Landesberg. It was my favorite show of the bunch. The cellist with, as Wendy said, the driest delivery post-Benny. With he and Sand, it was like the Mojave.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles