*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Lovely Carole Lombard aims to pitch a fast ball...I wouldn't doubt her.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Actually, dear Clara is more covered than several floozies walking around downtown Calgary these days!!
At least she was pretty; the bimbos are usually fat drab blobs, who should adopt the 'burka'!!

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I get your gist, Larry. I've been around, too. There are a lot of scary chicks out there.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
SUSAN PETERS (1921 - 1952)
fact: While on a 1945 New Year's Day duck-hunting trip in the San Diego area with her husband Richard Quine and friends, one of the hunting rifles accidentally discharged when Susan went to retrieve it. The bullet lodged in her spine. Permanently paralyzed from the waist down, MGM paid for her bills but was eventually forced to settle her contract. Susan valiantly forged on with frequent work on radio. In 1946 Susan and Richard happily adopted a son, Timothy Richard, but two years later she divorced Quine -- some say she felt she was too much of a burden.

LOUISE ALLBRITTON (1920 - 1979)
fact: While filming "Son of Dracula", she and her costar Robert Paige were constantly playing jokes on their cast mates. One day, costar Pat Moriarty and Robert Paige were filming a scene where they flip open her character's coffin. They were astonished upon opening the lid to find Allbritton inside, completely naked.

GEORGE SANDERS (1906 - 1972)
quote: Where on the screen I am invariably a sonofabitch, in life I am a dear, dear boy.
fact: On 23 April 1972, Sanders checked into a hotel in Castelldefels, a coastal town near Barcelona. He was found dead two days later, having taken five bottles of Nembutal. Sanders was 65 years old. He left behind a suicide note, which read:
Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck. (too bad).

Doris Lloyd (1896 - 1968)
fact: Versatile character actress, who first appeared on stage with the Liverpool Repertory Theatre Company in 1914. Intended to merely visit her sister in the United States, but ended up settling down in California. Her lengthy movie career began in 1925 and included countless small parts as charwomen, landladies and, occasionally, society matrons.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ahhhhh, my poor Georgie. I'll raise a toast to you today, dear, dear boy.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

ANDY GRIFFITH (1926 - 2012) R.I.P.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Miss Bette Davis once said "Getting old is not for sissies" (and she was right)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hollywood costume party (1935) Jimmy (James) Cagney; Kay Francis; Maurice Chevalier,
Joan Blondell and George Barnes.
Joseph Goodheart
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

mongoII wrote:Image
Birthday gal Lena Horne glows on a radio show
Hi Mongo. I've been enjoying the quotes you add underneath some of your photos. It's a nice feature. The quote you had for Lena ( didja remove it?? it was powerful! ) was an indictment and a reality of America. But we have come a long way...and her talent still shined brightly in spite of those times.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CineMaven, why would I remove it? It's on page 600. A powerful statement indeed.
Glad you like the quotes and facts I've added to the thread.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love that costume party picture but is Maurice in costume or has he come as himself?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think, since it's a sea/boating/naval kind of theme, he's dressed as a Yacht Captain! very funny photo, wonder whose party it was.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY
GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA is 85 today
quote: Popularity has a bright side, it unlocks many doors. But the truth is that I don't like it very much because it changes the private life into a very small thing.
quote: I've had many lovers and still have romances. I am very spoiled. All my life, I've had too many admirers.

EVA MARIE SAINT is 88 today
quote: On Alfred Hitchcock: "Hitchcock said, 'I don't want you going back to sink-to-sink movies. You do movies where you wash the dishes looking drab in an apron. The audience wants to see their leading ladies dressed up.' He saw me as others didn't."

STEPHEN BOYD (1931 - 1977)
quote: They tried to make me a star, a leading man. Well, I'm not a star even though they thought I looked like one. I'm a character actor. When I've had the choice I've always opted for the character role. I'd rather be the pillar that holds up the star than the star himself.
fact: He died on June 2, 1977, in Northridge, California, from a massive heart attack while playing golf - one of his favorite pastimes - at the Porter Valley Country Club. He was only 45.

GLORIA STUART (1910 - 2010)
quote: When I graduated from Santa Monica High in 1927, I was voted the girl most likely to succeed. I didn't realize it would take so long.
fact: Although it was rumored that she was buried at several well-known Hollywood cemeteries, Gloria Stuart was cremated and her ashes were distributed, according to her life long wishes, in Santa Monica Bay, as family, friends and "Titanic" crew and cast members stood on the Santa Monica Pier.
She was 100 years old.

GEORGE MURPHY (1902 - 1992)
fact: After giving up college, George Murphy decided to become a dancer. Since 1927 was he with his wife and partner Julie Johnson on Broadway, since 1934, after his wife retired from show business, in Hollywood, where he worked with Shirley Temple, Eleanor Powell, Fred Astaire and Ronald Reagan. A Republican since 1939, in 1945 he became president of the Screen Actors Guild. He retired from the silver screen in 1952, became a TV producer and in 1964 was elected as Senator of California.

HENRY ARMETTA (1888 - 1945)
fact: As a teenager in 1902, Armetta stowed away on a boat bound for New York. There he did menial jobs until landing a position as a valet and presser at the Lambs Club, the New York actors' club. In the twenties, the delightful Armetta slowly gained a name for himself as a character actor, and by the end of the decade, he had carved a niche for himself as a portrayer of humorous and sympathetic Italian immigrants, a position he maintained into the 1940s. He died of heart failure at 57.

Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Joe, not to belabor the point, but your quotes make me feel very much closer to the stars you post in this thread. I love both Gina and Stephen Boyd's quotes, but I'm finding something to love about stars I didn't even think about before. I know it's a big undertaking, so I thank you for going to the trouble.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Conrad Veidt, like Stephen Boyd, died on the golf course (he was an avid golfer too) from a heart attack. He was only 50. :(