Western Clichés

Moraldo Rubini

Western Clichés

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

A pal whose parents live in Arizona sends me articles from the Phoenix newspaper. I get piles of them every year, and enjoy culling tidbits from them. One column features questions written by readers, and this one popped up:
A Phoenix citizen wrote:In old Western movies when there is a gunfight with one person inside a house and another outside, why does the one inside always break a window to fire out? They did have windows that opened, and glass was expensive and not easy to get in those days. In the time that they took for the two or three swipes at the glass in the window to break it all, could they not have opened it?
And the columnist, Clay Thompson, replied simply, "You would think so, wouldn't you?".

This scenario is certainly a western cliché. I could picture the exact procedings myself. Now if Clay really thought about it, he might have mentioned that to open the window might have necessitated that the guy stand squarely in front of it to hoist it properly, thus making himself vulnerable to bullets.

So the bad guys have the black hats, and the good guys have white hats. These are all conceits that make westerns a western, right? Certainly there are many more. Can you offer any more?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This was brought out in Silver Spurs and Golden Saddles, but it is true. In a 'clean up the whole town' type of movie, when there is one man who is the main bad guy, living in town, he always wears a suit coat and tie.

When stopping off in a town, everybody always ties their horse up to the hitching post, but out on the range, they often get off the horse and just leave the reins lying on the ground. Randolph Scott is the only one who always ties up to a bush or tree or something.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
vallo

Post by vallo »

There's always "that one kid" who is in the middle of the street during a Stampede, who is saved at the last minute.

In most Westerns after being out in the desert (almost dying of thirst) the first thing they ask for in a Saloon is a shot of Whiskey.

And the Good Girls wear Bonnets and the Bad Girls-Don't.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

All newspaper publishers on the frontier are usually hot tempered and hard drinkers, (which must make it difficult to set type by hand).

Horses ridden at a fast gallop across a prairie or desert are rarely attended to on camera immediately upon reaching a town or outpost. No water, no feed, no currying, no "Nice job, Nellie", not even a lump of sugar. I think your horse might drop dead if you really treated it like that.

Almost every town seems to have a somewhat bitter widow, complete with grudges to nurse and a passel of young 'uns to feed.
Moraldo Rubini

...and call it macaroni

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

vallo wrote:...And the Good Girls wear Bonnets and the Bad Girls - don't.
Ah yes, the bad girls wear a plume in their hair, don't they?
cmvgor

Dry heat on a merry-go-round.

Post by cmvgor »

I've seen this event a number of times, but can't name any titles:

In the desert, trying to get out of it, and short of water. Someone takes the last drink from a canteen, or tries to take a drink and finds it empty.
They throw it away, with no thought to the possibility that they may find
water later, and will want to refill the durn thing.
Last edited by cmvgor on September 27th, 2007, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

How about the act of throwing the finally empty - after 20 or 30 shots - six-shooter at the other feller. Never seen one hit it's mark yet.

Of course, Blazing Saddles addressed the issue of cattle drives always having beans for the evening meal. :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
cmvgor

Who's in charge here?

Post by cmvgor »

And how many times have we heard a variation on this line?

"Buck Bivins is just the one we know about. Somebody a lot smarter than
him is behind this!"
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
Erebus

Re: Dry heat on a merry-go-round.

Post by Erebus »

cmvgor wrote:I've seen this event a number of times, but can't name any titles:

In the desert, trying to get out of it, and short of water. Someone takes the last drink from a canteen, or tries to take a drink and finds it empty.
They throw in away, with no thought to the possibility that they may find
water later, and will want to refill the durn thing.
Yes, or they have very little water and yet while passing the canteen each manages to spill a splash on the dirt, always without notice, let alone regret. And of course the guy stranded prostrate in the desert has to look up into the blazing sun.

My worst is how when firing the six-shooter so many jerk the gun, as though thrusting it toward the target might make it more accurate or forceful. Or how ammo is fired off in celebration or otherwise worthlessly, as though ammo could be cheap in the middle of nowhere.

And I've always been surprised we don't see more mounts shot dead or wounded. Wouldn't you think the West, and even more especially Civil War battlefields, would be littered with wounded horses? I would have thought the "horse scream" (or whatever a wounded horse does) would have become a Western staple (though I realize animal suffering was always anathema while thousands of dead cowhands were but what put people in the seats).

Then there are the recurrent fisticuffs. Just how many punches can John Wayne sustain within a given film? I'm not a mondo dude but even so I know an average human being would be down for at least a few weeks over punches that come by the tens in many the Western.

Gotta love how the injuns ride in orbit around the circled wagon trains, for target practice, as though their lives were nothing, which opens up a whole range of Indian cliches.

Just how cheap was life in "the West", which is to ask what Western film-making might have been had it from the beginning adhered to something like a realistic appreciation of how much an individual values his own life, in any era or context?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nearly every saloon in the west just got their big mirror in from St. Louis. The variety came, sometimes, in the form how the mirror was broken. Most often with gunshot or chair were sent into the mirror. At times bottles or people were used.

Oh, the destruction.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Chris---what movie was it in, was it Last Train from Gun Hill or Stagecoach, where the saloon owner first asks to take down his mirror from the wall before the shooting starts?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Actually, I can attest that a "morning after" recovery from an old-school fist-&-boot fight (most often lasting between 2 & 4 minutes, and involving right around a dozen blows, given and taken), is not only doable, but given the traditional saloon mentality of blue-collar workmen in their 20's & 30's, pretty average.
Now, how smart that leaves a young fool like I used to be, that's a decent subject for debate!
In fact, if one considers the typical social norm (in bygone eras) of a man needing to work in order to eat, the inability to recover from such nocturnal "athletics" would have pretty much doomed the survival of the Irish American!
:shock:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

klondike wrote:Actually, I can attest that a "morning after" recovery from an old-school fist-&-boot fight (most often lasting between 2 & 4 minutes, and involving right around a dozen blows, given and taken), is not only doable, but given the traditional saloon mentality of blue-collar workmen in their 20's & 30's, pretty average.
Now, how smart that leaves a young fool like I used to be, that's a decent subject for debate!
In fact, if one considers the typical social norm (in bygone eras) of a man needing to work in order to eat, the inability to recover from such nocturnal "athletics" would have pretty much doomed the survival of the Irish American!
:shock:
LOL!!

Ken---if you're here, can you back that up??
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Miss Goddess - The Irish are unstoppable. After hundreds of year of oppression & suppression the Irish economy is way above the British But, what is this about Irish frequenting salons ? :wink: *

* I drink Pepsi 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MissGoddess wrote:Chris---what movie was it in, was it Last Train from Gun Hill or Stagecoach, where the saloon owner first asks to take down his mirror from the wall before the shooting starts?
It's not "Last Train" and I don't think it's "Stagecoach." I remember it too but I'll have to think on it.

Ken:

I'm a Pepsi drinker too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."