The Good Fairy - Wyler's "Lubitsch Film"

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
MissGoddess

The Good Fairy - Wyler's "Lubitsch Film"

Post by MissGoddess »

1935. Directed by William Wyler, starring: Margaret Sullavan, Herbert Marshall, Reginald Owen and Frank Morgan.

I saw this movie when I was a teen and for some reason it provoked from me a (now) unaccountable aversion to Margaret Sullavan. Seeing it last night with "new eyes" I don't know how I could have been anything but delighted. My sides are still aching over the scenes between Frank Morgan and Reginald Owen---they are as funny as anything I've ever seen.

Margaret Sullavan plays Luisa Finglebusher (an unforgettable name---which everyone wants her to forget), a sheltered, imaginative waif from the local orphan asylum who is hired as an usherette at the fancy movie palace (her uniform is not a dress, but trousers---the matron of the asylum, concerned at the racy idea of one of her orphans wearing pants, asks the proprietor (Alan Hale) if they aren't too "tight fitting"? Hale: "That depends on the girl---the trousers are all the same size." Luisa is fetching enough in her "pants" to catch the (harmless) eye of a kindly middle-aged man (Owen) who, seeing her as a lamb let loose in a jungle, basically takes her under his protection and introduces her to the world---and fills her head with the idea that she deserves "furs, diamonds, cars and all the best things life offers". Until now, Luisa's main M.O. is, like the good fairy in the stories she tells the younger orphans, to do someone a good deed each day.

Enter Frank Morgan, another middle-aged man who takes a much less paternalistic interest in Luisa---he wants to be her "daddy" alright, but not like Owen's father-figure. He is determined to spend his money on a woman to make himself a playboy (where are these guys now?) and he's picked Luisa. Frightened by his attentions she blurts out that she's married, but instead of putting him off, he tells her he will make her husband rich and see that she gets all the things she deserves (furs, diamonds, cars) through him. Suddenly, it occurs to Luisa that this is her way to do a good deed! She has to make up a husband to back up her lie, so why not choose some poor chap down on his luck and let this man make him rich! So out of a phonebook she picks the name "Dr Max Sporum" (Herbert Marshall) and tells Morgan that's her husband.

After all this it's a madcap matter of Luisa trying to get to Sporum to explain what's happening and keep Morgan from finding out she's really not married---and all the while Reginald Owen thinks she's turning into a "fallen woman" he has to save! Wyler manages to make it possible for the audience to follow this nonsensical storyline and to mine it for exquisite, delicate laughter along the way. Some scenes fall quite short of the magic the Master (Lubitsch) could have made from them---particularly the getting-acquainted scenes between Sullavan and Marshall---but Wyler's adoration of Sullavan enslaves his talents to showing her off at her most mecurical and otherworldly.

If it is a bit of a stretch to imagine Margaret Sullavan as being quite that naive and innocent, she at least is, as always, authentically unique---not bound to be defined by the rules of the ordinary woman.

Wyler fans should see the nice print Kino presents as part of a series of Wyler movies (I may have to get them all, eventually) and this particular disc contains some still photos of Wyler at work and play.

Lubitsch fans should see it too, if only to appreciate him even more---for many great directors in his day paid him the inestimable compliment of imitation (Wyler, Mamoulian, Borzage---and Wilder all through his career). Oh, and if that's not inducement enough, the screenplay was written by Preston Sturges.

feaito

Post by feaito »

April,

Great, magnificent review. It expresses perfectly what I also felt when I saw the movie (kindred spirits?). I can tell it comes from the bottom of your heart.

I also adored this film when I bought the DVD edition some years ago. I fell in love with Maggie Sullavan as an actress, after wacthing her in that Lubitsch masterpiece set also in Budapest, "The Shop Around the Corner" and when I discovered this film available on the net, I just had to have it!! Besides Wyler is my favorite director.

I bought the two other films of the Wyler KINO collection and they are both great additions to anyone's Collection. "Cousellor at Law" is superb, with magnificent performances by John Barrymore and Bebe Daniels and "Love Trap" quite interesting. This last DVD also includes a documentary on Wyler's career. You cant' go wrong with Wyler!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great essay MissG! I have the Kino print as well. Sullavan is one of my faveorite actresses simply because she could slip into any kind of role and make it believeable. A wonderful film.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Feaito---how are you my friend? I want to get all those Wyler dvds into my possession, so far I have only rented them. The Love Trap is in my mailbox as I write this (and that reminds me, I have less than an hour to get dressed and go to the post office and pick it up!)---I can't wait to see the documentary you say is on it!

I believe I copied my Counsellor-at-Law thread here from the TCM forum on this board a couple of months ago. I went overboard in my praise for both it and my beloved John Barrymore's magnificent performance.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Arkadin---Sullavan was one of a special group of actresses who were truly unique personality in and of themselves, which made them perfect for playing misplaced personalities. Though I came to appreciate her later on, it was worth the wait.

I still haven't seen her version of Back Street. Wish I could find it.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:Feaito---how are you my friend? I want to get all those Wyler dvds into my possession, so far I have only rented them. The Love Trap is in my mailbox as I write this (and that reminds me, I have less than an hour to get dressed and go to the post office and pick it up!)---I can't wait to see the documentary you say is on it!
I'm glad for you April. Please let us know your opinion about the film & the documentary.
I believe I copied my Counsellor-at-Law thread here from the TCM forum on this board a couple of months ago. I went overboard in my praise for both it and my beloved John Barrymore's magnificent performance.
You are right. I had forgotten, sorry.

And BTW, I watched the Margaret Sullvan "Back Street" version and I liked it very much. You can't go wrong with such a gifted actress and her sincere playing of the characters she impersonated. Some say that the Dunne 1932 version is better, but I haven't seen it. I once watched the 1962 Hayward version as a kid. It's OK but Sullavan's film is better. I seem to recall it was glossier, though.