Creature From the Black Lagoon

cinemalover

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Post by cinemalover »

Growing up I always had this amphibious friend close by as one of my Aurora Model Kits. Oh the memories! Last night, in attempt to get myself in the Halloween spirit, I watched this classic film for the first time in at least a decade (I'll write up a review on my other thread soon). But I was very pleasantly surprised by how well it stood up. The costume of the Creature and all the underwater photography is amazing. The suspense is well-maintained and you are teased with glimpses of its’ deadly "paw" on several occasions before the full body of the creature is finally revealed. Excellent from beginning to end. Does anyone else have any pleasant memories of this little jewel from 1954?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "Creature from the Black Lagoon" a lot. The first time I saw the movie it was in 3-D (I saw it in 1981, however.) I remember the opening, a stentorious narrator declaring "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" and BLAM!! this "planet" on the screen explodes and a chunk of meteor zooms at the audience.

It is a very well done movie. Julie Adams is wonderful as the heroine, the suspense and action scenes are very skillfully handled, and the "underwater ballet" of swimmer and creature is unforgettable.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

IMHO the best part of Creature is Julie Adams in shorts. 8)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Ken,
Judging from the way the Creature was oogling her I'd say he definitely agrees with your assessment!
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

cinemalover wrote:Ken,
Judging from the way the Creature was oogling her I'd say he definitely agrees with your assessment!

The Creature, despite being not very well groomed, does that good taste when it comes to the ladies. 8)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

John,
I agree, there's no reason why some of these films can't be released in quality 3-D format now. A few years ago one of the Spy Kids movies was released in 3-D, it wasn't spectacular but Jeremy and I had a blast putting on the glasses. dimming the lights and enjoying the show. I remember that Hondo was shown on TV locally in 3-D many years ago. It was the same thing, you had to pick up your glasses at the local AM/PM (or maybe it was 7-11, I don't recall).
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Mike,
Your description of the swimming scene with the Creature and Adams as "underwater ballet" is brilliantly spot-on. If I had one less iota of integrity (questionable, I know) I would have stolen the phrase for my review!
Chris