Splendor in the Grass

mrsl

Splendor in the Grass

Post by mrsl »

Watching this yesterday, I realized the movie would have been nowhere without Natalie. Warren Beatty could never act his way out of a paper bag, and she carried the whole thing. I'm keeping in mind this was Warrens first starring role, but he still needed more background, fact is he could still use it today, but that's neither here nor there.

Elia Kazan gets some good stuff out of Nat, and Barbara Loden, Warren's sister in the movie. Pat Hingle is always interesting.

Reading up on it, most people take it as Deanie (Natalie) having a nervous breakdown by not going father with Bud than some light necking in the car. I find it more of a strike against parental guidance. Deanie's parents wanted (insisted) on her being a 'good' girl, and Bud's father is planning his life out for him while ignoring his daughter.

I think Elia was having a few chuckles at the expense of the up tight, American audiences who saw his movies and it makes me wonder just what kind of a guy he was.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched this film some time ago and I agree with you Anne. Natalie Wood carries the film. She gives a very good performance.

I finished reading Henry Willson's Biography ("The Man Who invented Rock Hudson...") and I'm sure that I read that Troy Donahue wanted to play opposite Natalie in this film, but Kazan chose Beatty. It was quite devastating for Troy.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I love this movie. Natalie Wood is fantastic as Deenie. I always thought that her nervous breakdown was due to the fact that she had strong sexual feelings for Bud, but society told her that she was "bad" for having these natural sexual impulses. She couldn't reconcile the two conflicting messages.

BTW, I haven't seen the film in several years. I thought that Deenie lost her virginity with Bud in the scene at the waterfall/riverbank. Am I remembering it wrong?

Sandy K