STAR TREK MOVIE TRAILER

mrsl

STAR TREK MOVIE TRAILER

Post by mrsl »

Looking up something on imdB today, I noticed in the listing for today's trailers, one for a Star Trek movie. Being a trekkie, and trekker, I had to click on it and found it was only a teaser. As the original TV theme was playing, Leonard Nimoy was reciting the 'Space . . . the final frontier' opening lines. There were fast clips of the 'small step for man' moonshot, and several other take offs, and a fade out end.

I'm wondering if some dimwitted person is making a movie utilizing the original characters of Jim Kirk, Uhura, Bones, Scotty, and Spock etc. Gene Roddenberry and his writers always kept each spin off as a separate entity unto itself with little relation to the original by character or time frame. Please don't let it be so. Only The Wrath of Khan is connected to the TV show, but that was because so many fans wrote and asked for a return of the character, and enough time had passed that it was a brilliant role for Ricardo Montalban to reprise, especially since he had kept himself in such great shape.

My date finally left me to go and gamble when we went to the exhibit at the Hilton in Las Vegas. I seriously wouldn't have cared if he had left me there and gone home, because I doubted I would ever get there again, and I wanted to see all I could. The ride was amazing and I was completely zonked by it for weeks afterward. As usual I digress.

Unless it is just a 'working title', the name Star Trek worries me. Do you think a movie using the original characters would fly, especially considering the show is still in re-runs all the time?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, Anne, yes, and not exactly.
According to the newsbytes I've been following, the next Trek movie (directed by hot-spit wunderkind, J.J. Abrams), is slated for release sometime during the '08/'09 Winter season, and will indeed be a prequel, based on the characters made popular in the second season of the original TV show, only with a plot set prior to most of the events alluded to in the show's first season.
They've actually announced the entire primary cast, but the only names I recognized were: Zachary Quinto (evil mutant Sylar from TV's "Heroes") as young Spock, Simon Pegg (protagonist from last Summer's British cop-spoof Hot Fuzz) as young Scotty, and Tyler Perry as a dean of Starfleet Academy.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I would be far more interested in a non-Kirk prequel. Ostensibly, the Enterprise wasn't the only starship in the fleet, and I've always thought good writing and creative characters could occur with other names and faces.

Let's hope that's the case here. As MrsL pointed out, each series - up to this point - has been wonderfully stand-alone and relied on its own creativity. I hope this movie won't betray that. I've always hoped Oil would run out before Creativity did, but we've all seen hundreds or thousands of examples that argue the contrary.

Let's hope we don't have one more added to that pile.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey Klondike:

Interesting. The guy was born the year before Star Trek came on TV. But, as I said, it has fans from its' re-runs. However, looking him up on imdB, I feel very little confidence in any creative ideas coming out of the young man. Just looking at the titles of the TV shows he's written is a list of familiar movie titles, song titles, and sayings, I'm surprised there isn't a 'Yo', or a 'Hang in there' show but there is a 'I see dead people', a 'Time will Tell', and 'All the Time in the World'. The kid has got to be loaded with brilliant ideas. :wink:

The funny thing is though that Jim Kirk, Spock, and Jean Luc all had episodes about their youth, and There was even an episode about how Data was built.

I just get angry when someone messes with a good thing. ie. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!

Ollie: The Enterprise was the unnamed other starring character on the show, it was the first of its kind, it could do anything they asked her to do with a little spit and polish from Scotty. At least they often used captains of other ships as secondary characters, and built the plots around them.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:
Hey Klondike:

Interesting. The guy was born the year before Star Trek came on TV. But, as I said, it has fans from its' re-runs. However, looking him up on imdB, I feel very little confidence in any creative ideas coming out of the young man. Just looking at the titles of the TV shows he's written is a list of familiar movie titles, song titles, and sayings, I'm surprised there isn't a 'Yo', or a 'Hang in there' show but there is a 'I see dead people', a 'Time will Tell', and 'All the Time in the World'. The kid has got to be loaded with brilliant ideas. :wink:

I just get angry when someone messes with a good thing. ie. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!

Anne

I don't know, Anne; once upon a time, in Hollywood, George Lucas and Steve Spielberg were Young Turks, and before either one had very much in the way of movie-making creds, they took big chances with such genre-reinvention projects as THX-1138, Something Evil, American Graffiti, 1941, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Besides, by its very nature, science fiction, whether on film or in print, must "fix itself", by reinvention, innovation and/or re-examination, constantly, or it violates its own definition.
QED.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

I'm not sure what you're saying. I started to watch THX 1138 once, and turned it off, and I've never heard of Something Evil, but I have seen the other three you listed. Are you saying they are all ideas taken from other directors and/or writers? If this young fellow wants to reinvent something, why open himself up to possible derision involving an icon like Star Trek? That show has a language that has been made up for the Klingons. Fans have secret hand signals, and can quote lines from 50 year old shows. I just feel if I'm going to attempt something new, I'm better off trying it with a lesser idea.

I'm sure some of our fellow members are giggling behind their hands at my choice of words like icon, but Star Trek is serious business with a lot of people. Personally, I think they should really get a life, but if that is the life they choose, well it's their choice.

But regarding Sci-fi reinventing itself, yes, many of the ideas from Star Trek are now actual fact. There was a show about that. They showed scientists and medical people who got ideas from the shows and went on to invent things. So watching old ST is not so sci-fi any longer, which is why each spin off was set in a later time, to make it possible to imagine unheard of things.

Finally, the main thing is the spin off Enterprise is actually set in a time frame which is earlier than the original ST, somewhere between the moon landing and space exploration.

Anne
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

As a long-time Trek lover, I'm willing to give this new incarnation the benefit of the doubt. When The Next Generation was first announced, there was lots of hoo-hah about how terrible it must be in comparison to the original, but we learned to love it, even with a cast we mostly never heard of. Indeed, except for the previously minor player Shatner, we really didn't know the actors in the original, and look how long-lasting their fame has been.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Judith:

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I remember the brew-ha-ha over TNG. What I'm saying is, this guy should have:

1. Made up new characters altogether

2. Used the original characters grandkids if he had to keep that connection

3. Dangled his feet in a TV movie first before going to the big screen

I'm just thinking, by using the original characters as youngsters, if it caught on, after all the comic book heroes, and movies based on TV programs, we could easily have: The growing years of: Matt Dillon, Jim Rockford, Archie Bunker and Jessica Fletcher. Holy Hannah.

Anne
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Boy, where's the charred end of a wooden stake when ya need it?!!

BOY ROCKFORD.

BARNEY BOY.

HAVE TOY WILL TRAVEL.

BOY BUNKER.

Oh no... please... no... MrsL, that's some of the funniest and sickest concepts I've heard in years. I may never forgive you for making me laugh so hard with a mouthful of coffee.

Pass the towel, please...
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Judith:

I'm just thinking, by using the original characters as youngsters, if it caught on, after all the comic book heroes, and movies based on TV programs, we could easily have: The growing years of: Matt Dillon, Jim Rockford, Archie Bunker and Jessica Fletcher. Holy Hannah.

Anne
That's actually not a bad concept, Anne; you just need to apply it to some TV characters that are actually interesting on some level. :idea:
The only one missing from your list is Matlock!
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Listen Sargeant Yukon:

Because of all the programming on TCM, I have been relegated to a lot of TVLand and Hallmark Channel, so my mind is full of many of their programs right now. I still check the schedule, but except for mornings, I rarely watch TCM in the late afternoons or primetime. Less than 2 months ago I watched Quiz Show on one of the HBO channels, and here it is on TCM spouted as a Classic.

But anyway, that's the reason for the choice of names, plus I wanted to be sure to pick ones I felt everyone knew.

But seriously, as a sci-fi fan (if you are one), are you interested in delving into the teen years of the Enterprises' crew? Where is pktrekgirl, when I need him?

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Listen Sargeant Yukon:

But anyway, that's the reason for the choice of names, plus I wanted to be sure to pick ones I felt everyone knew.

But seriously, as a sci-fi fan (if you are one), are you interested in delving into the teen years of the Enterprises' crew? Where is pktrekgirl, when I need him?

Anne
Anne;

HA!
:)
Sergeant Yukon! I like it! You henceforth have my permission to address me by that monniker whenever you like, just make sure no-one else infringes on your exclusivity!
(Candidly speaking, it's been nearly 20 years since I actually was a Sgt., and then it had "Detective" appended to the front of it; way back when I was in military uniform, I wore bars, not chevrons; anymore, I just have employees calling me Chief, and when well-meaning folks try to address as "Sir", it makes my wild Celtic soul shudder.
For that matter, when those same folks call me "Mr.", attached to my surname, part of me always wants to turn around to see if my late father's standing behind me!)
Hey, all ribbing aside, I got your points, Anne.
And yes, I certainly am a science fiction fan, passionately so, and proud of it; but I'm also one with an acute recognition of the difference between authentic science fiction, and adventure stories with science-fictional settings and/or gimmicks.
And that latter sub-genre is exactly the Big Risk that all sci-fi vehicles face when they grow into franchises, as Star Trek & Star Wars have.
In brief, some modern examples:

SCIENCE FICTION:
Chronicles of Riddick
Red Planet
Reign of Fire
Frequency
Matrix
Deja Vu
Minority Report
The Fifth Element
I, Robot
Time Machine (1998)
Star Trek: Insurrection

ADVENTURES w/ SF SETTINGS/GIMMICKS:
Children of Men
Independence Day
Alien Vs. Predator
Lara Croft: Cradle of Life
Men In Black 2
Lady in the Water
The Astronaut's Wife
The Premonition
Constantine
Resident Evil
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Star Trek V: The Voyage Home

As for basing the latest Star Trek film on the "prequel" adventures of the original crew, no, I probably wouldn't have chosen that route myself, nor do I necessarily think it's an A#1 Great Idea, but, undeniably, the last new Star Trek movie (ST: Nemesis) garnered lukewarm reviews, and did some very disappointing box office, so doubtless a fifth movie showcasing the Next Generation crew, is, for the foreseeable future, probably considered a very unprofitable direction to go in.
As for where pktrekgirl is, these days, I have no information that would validate an answer.
I certainly would like to think she is still around!
Last edited by klondike on February 7th, 2008, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Wanted to let you know that JJ Abrams is not a novice film maker.

He is the creator of "Lost" that maddening series that just as I thought I had made my escape from it, they reeled me back in last year's two part season finale.

He created "Alias" with Jennifer Garner and Victor Garber. He also wrote and directed various episodes and was the exec producer of "Felicity".

He directed the last Mission Impossible movie and wrote "Armeggadon" the meteor is going to hit the earth movie starring Bruce Willis.

As for TCM, don't forget it's the 31 Days of Oscar where TCM highlights the Oscar nominated and winning films in the last 80 years of Oscar history.

On March 3rd, TCM reverts back to its usual blend of programming.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

In that case, I'll save the title for when I feel like thumping you on the head! I forgot, I think you and I discussed our mutual pleasure in Frequency before. I liked Red Planet, Minority Report, and I, Robot, but not the second Time Machine and Matrix lost me completely. Needless to say, I did like all the Star Trek movies.

I do like the way you made two divisions of sci-fi, and you are 100% correct on it. It's funny, most of the second half is not my cuppa. However, I admit I loved Independence Day and do to this day - mainly for the stars. I also admit I paid the $3.99 to see Premonition the first day it was offered on PPV - I never miss a Sandra Bullock movie - I don't care what it is, and you can add The Lake House to your list also. I love movies about time travel and time paradoxes, like Millennium.

Lynn:

I only saw the first three episodes of 'Lost' and soon 'Lost' interest in it. I cannot watch Jennifer Garner, to me she always looks like she's freezing, or has a cold, her nose is always runny and red, and so are her eyes. Don't know why but that's how she looks to me, (my daughter says I'm nuts). I do like Armeggeddon though, in fact I watched it yesterday on tape with my satellite down.

Of course, I realize it's 31 days of Oscar, but I still don't think the 90's or the 2000's should be included as 'classics', they haven't earned the right yet. :cry:

Did you see my question about the writers strike? I haven't gotten that far down the list yet.

Anne
Anne

Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I feel drawn to introduce into any discussion of Star Trek, the Finnish fan film Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, which I haven't seen all the way through yet but have loved as far as I've got. It's also available for free download.

http://www.starwreck.com/