James Stewart

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

James Stewart

Post by stuart.uk »

My favourite and IMO the screens greatest ever actor. to quote one comentator, Cary Grant couldn't handle westerns and could Coop sing! (sorry Miss. G lol)

One of Jimmy's first starring roles was Born To Dance with Ellie Powell, a musical where he sang the great Cole Porter standard Easy To Love. however, though he did a credible job, singing wasn't his greatest strength, it was his easy going natural style of acting.

he did four films with Margaret Sullavan, The Next Time We Love, Shopworn Angel, That Mortal Storm and their best Shop Around The Corner. inbetween he made his greatest pre war fim Mr. Smith Goes To Washington with Jean Arthur, not to mention Destrey Rides Again with Marlene Dietrich. it's interesting that in all the films mention, his leading ladies were all bigger stars than him, so it says a lot for them than they let him steal the film from them.

Jimmy won an Oscar for The Philadelphia Story with Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant. though he was great, i felt he really one it for his performance the yr before in MSGTW, because Chaplin was better in The Great Dictator and Hank Fonda should have won for Grapes Of Wrath.

Jimmy came out of the army and made It's A Wonderful Life, though it died on release. luckilly it went on deservedly to be a cult classic and is shown regulary on tv at Christmas time.

Jimmy brilliantly played real life western hero Tom Jefford's in Broken Arrow, directed by Delmer Daves. however, it was his relationship with Anthony Mann that was the high point of his career with westerns like Winchester 73, The Naked Spur, Bend Of The River, The Far Country and The Man From Laramie. his two non-western films with Mann were Thunder Bay and The Glen Miller Story, playing the great band leader.

in the serious western Night Passage Jimmy dug out his accordian and again sang on film with Follow The River and You Can't Get Far Without A Railroad his songs

Jimmy also made 3 films for Hitchcock, Rope, The Man Who Knew To Much and Vertigo

many say Anatomy For A Murder is his last great film, but i respectfully disagree. I think Shenendoah is his last great starring role, but that still leaves The Shootist in 1976

inbetween other good Stewart films were made, How The West Was Won, Two Rode Together and The Rare Breed

he also did two tv shows, The Jimmy Stewart Show and the award winning detective series Hawkins
Last edited by stuart.uk on March 29th, 2008, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I still have to see "Hawkins". I wish it could turn up online or on dvd.

I am starting to appreciate Night Passage more. I used to rank it rather low, but I caught a part of it a week or so ago and it's climbing.

It's hard for me to pick just one Jimmy movie that's my favorite; it's a toss up between Shop Around the Corner, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Vertigo, Rear Window, Made for Each Other, Destry Rides Again, Harvey, the Capra films and The Far Country. They are ALL so very, very good.
Last edited by MissGoddess on March 20th, 2008, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G

Jimmy made so many classic movies, i forgot to mention some of them. thanks for adding your additions
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You've picked one from almost each genre. That was what helped give him such appeal. He could do just about everything. Couldn't sing though. Johnny Carson asked about his singing and Stewart said he used to sing in the shower but it was so bad the soap got up and left.

I like "Night Passage" too. It was supposed to be a Mann film but they had some problem and they never worked again. I think it is less than those but that still makes is pretty good. Murphy is a bit hard to buy as the bad guy.

My wife loves "The Glenn Miller Story." We get to watch that one once or twice a year. He does a fine job in "Carbine Williams" too. "Firecreek" is pretty good too.

If you want a rare (and unusual film) check out "Fool's Parade." It airs April 1 at noon (EDT.) If you have Cinemax "Call Northside 777" has been running.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A brilliant actor, I've probably only seen a third of his work but he is fantastic actor.

I don't do many Westerns but Destry Rides Again is superb.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Classic Redhead

Post by Classic Redhead »

I am totally in love with Jimmy Stewart! He was so gorgeous and such a wonderful actor, and that accent he had was just the cutest! LOL...Here are some pics:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
*~*True beauty dwells in deep retreats,
Whose veil is unremoved,
Till heart with heart in concord beats,
And the lover is beloved.*~*

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

classic redhead

great pictures. did you prefer the younger Jimmy, as seen in your photos or agree with me his later older image in his Anthony Mann films was better.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never really seen any of his later films apart from the ones he made with Hitchcock. The only Western I've seen with him in is Destry Rides Again.

I'd have to say I go with the younger James Stewart but perhaps I haven't given the later James Stewart a chance.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
GaryCooper

Re: James Stewart

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith